Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > Professional

Unread 04-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
lawump1
Veteran

lawump1 has a reputation beyond reputelawump1 has a reputation beyond reputelawump1 has a reputation beyond reputelawump1 has a reputation beyond reputelawump1 has a reputation beyond reputelawump1 has a reputation beyond reputelawump1 has a reputation beyond reputelawump1 has a reputation beyond reputelawump1 has a reputation beyond reputelawump1 has a reputation beyond reputelawump1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Balk?

The announcers said it wasn't a balk, so how could it be a balk?!?
Unread 04-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
justus
Rookie
No Avatar

justus is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by typikon View Post
Agree with Bob, Ken and Ozzy - from the camera angle behind the plate, it looks like he started his motion towards home, then kicked out to first, changing direction. The step also was perhaps a little more towards home than first.

Lefties often get away with that. This time he didn't.
justus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
renegadewolf
All-Star

renegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy night

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump1 View Post
The announcers said it wasn't a balk, so how could it be a balk?!?
[SARCASM=renegadewolf1;123456]As the commentators said, It's a great move, that's why it's a balk.... never mind the forward motion to home then switching directions, not stepping directly to first and breaking the plane....I'm sure I've read it in 8.05 somewhere that a "great move" is a balk, just have to "read between the lines" [/SARCASM]
Unread 05-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #17
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel View Post
I think it is easy to see. He broke the plane with the left foot. and threw to 1B. That's the balk right there..

The fact that he left foot ended up stepping down in front of the rubber means nothing.
I haven't seen a view that shows the foot breaking the plane and even if one of the various angles did show it, I'd have a hard time being convinced that, as the PU, you can tell when the foot passes the back edge of the rubber.