Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > Professional

Unread 04-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
typikon
Veteran Crew Chief
No Avatar

typikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Balk?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20895267

Not enough of a step to 1st?
typikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
yawetag
Crew Chief

yawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy night
Default Re: Balk?

It's the only thing that makes sense to me. It's close, though.
yawetag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by typikon View Post
It looked like he didn't get the distance and direction going to first. But from the other angle it looked like he may have broken the plane in which it looked like he had to go home with the pitch and not to first. I was wondering why the first base umpire didn't ehco the call of the PU he had a good shot at the pitcher's movement.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Or a move to the plate and then changing direction on the front leg to go toward first. (Not that I necessarily would call that here, just speculating on what PU might have had)
bobjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
KenGibes
All-Star Crew Chief

KenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
Or a move to the plate and then changing direction on the front leg to go toward first. (Not that I necessarily would call that here, just speculating on what PU might have had)
The change of direction of the leg is the only thing that I see that might have caused the PU to call a balk. It looks kinda "loopy", and the PU may have had a commitment to pitch the ball before the pitcher changed directions and went to first.

Not much worse than many other accomplished pick-off artists, though.
KenGibes is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is easy to see. He broke the plane with the left foot. and threw to 1B. That's the balk right there..

The fact that he left foot ended up stepping down in front of the rubber means nothing.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
typikon
Veteran Crew Chief
No Avatar

typikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel View Post
I think it is easy to see. He broke the plane with the left foot. and threw to 1B. That's the balk right there..

The fact that he left foot ended up stepping down in front of the rubber means nothing.
It was the PU that called it? Or 3B umpire? Is it unusual for the PU to be monitoring the "plane?"
typikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It was the PU that called it? Or 3B umpire? Is it unusual for the PU to be monitoring the "plane?"
I agree, but see a balk call a balk!
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
nopachunts
Crew Chief

nopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
+1000
nopachunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #10
Ozzy
Veteran Crew Chief

Ozzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond repute

I think the PU saw the hitch to the plate that I saw. When viewed from behind the plate, there is a definite hitch to the plate then he goes to 1st. I think that is why the PU came right up with the balk.

Ozzy
Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #11
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes review the JE DVD.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
Scuzzyfeller
Veteran

Scuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy nightScuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy nightScuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy nightScuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy nightScuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy nightScuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy night

The camera angle from the 3B side looks like the front foot BROKE the plane of the rubber...and I'm "ass"uming the 1B umpire didn't see it that way...

Break the plane as the lefty...BALK...

Scuzz
Unread 04-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
lustersilk
All-Star

lustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese's

Quote:
I think it is easy to see. He broke the plane with the left foot. and threw to 1B. That's the balk right there.
I was thinking that too, but would the PU call that, with three others umpires better positioned to make that call?
lustersilk is offline   Reply With Quote