Go Back   Forums > The Gear... > Umpire Equipment

Unread 04-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Assign
All-Star

Assign is movin' on upAssign is movin' on upAssign is movin' on up
Default Shock Doc in with Smitty Compression Shorts

Recently purchased a couple of pairs of Smitty Grey ComfortTech Compression Shorts.

http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=6

They have a pocket that I thought would hold the Shock Doc cup

http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=0

The probelm is the cup rides up... leaving the boys exposed. Has anyone else had this problem?

I like the support of the compression shorts, but not at the cost of catching one.

Has anyone else had the same problem

Thoughts
Unread 04-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shock Doc in with Smitty Compression Shorts

Yes. All the time.

Get the Nutty Buddy set up. Works perfectly.
Unread 04-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunyankee View Post
Yes. All the time.

Get the Nutty Buddy set up. Works perfectly.
Make the change to the Nutty Buddy...One of the best investments of late for me...No more riding up...Gotta' take care of the boys...

Aloha,
Mike

CP = $180
SGs = $100
Basic Uniform (Pants, shirts, socks, belt, ball bags, accessories, cap, LU card and pen) = $150+
Shoes = $100
Annual Equipment / Uniform Updates = $100s
Training Resources = $100 minimum per year
Travel / Gas Expenses = $100s per year.
Concussion Potential = High

Game Fee = $40 average

Who says I do this for the money?
mturman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute

When wearing the compression shorts, your plate stance can cause the shorts to stretch and pull away from the groin area, taking the cup with them.

This creates a gap into which the boys can fall. An impact to the cup at this point could very well trap one of the boys between the edge of the cup and your body.

Not a good scenario.

Before the nutty buddy, I wore a jock (cup holder) with the cup in it, and then the tights over that. Worked pretty well.

Since moving to the NB, I wear cotton boxer briefs, then the cup holder with the NB in between, then the tights.

It works perfectly.
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunyankee View Post
Before the nutty buddy, I wore a jock (cup holder) with the cup in it, and then the tights over that. Worked pretty well.
Right. Just because the shorts / tights have a cup pocket doesn't mean you need to use it.
bobjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

Nope. The cup pockets aren't designed for protection when in a position such as a plate stance. They position the cup too far forward to begin with. Couple this with the fact that when the legs are spread apart, the material of the tights/shorts has a tendency to pull away from the body, taking the cup with it.

Not a great combination.
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

Nutty Buddy all the way. I was hesitant but once I got it and tried it, I loved it and hopefully won't need to go back to a regular cup.
Unread 04-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Assign
All-Star

Assign is movin' on upAssign is movin' on upAssign is movin' on up

thanks guys

NB it is
Unread 04-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
jomatiky
Crew Chief

jomatiky is a beacon of light on a stormy nightjomatiky is a beacon of light on a stormy nightjomatiky is a beacon of light on a stormy nightjomatiky is a beacon of light on a stormy nightjomatiky is a beacon of light on a stormy night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assign View Post
thanks guys

NB it is
Just get the nutty buddy alone , the package is too expensive when you can use tights & a pair of briefs or jock to hold in place. Been doing it that way for several years and it has never moved.
Unread 04-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

I agree.

I got cup alone and added briefs, UA jock, and UA tights.

It's all good.
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
jaxrolo
All-Star

jaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud of

Nutty Buddy!!!!!

If you click on the link below you will get 5% off at check out.
FHSAA High School Certified

River City Umpires Association Webmaster
jaxrolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #12
djs_net
Veteran

djs_net can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrolo View Post
Nutty Buddy!!!!!

If you click on the link below you will get 5% off at check out.
Damn, I ordered the NB less than an hour before your post. I'll console myself with the knowledge that my boys will be protected better than ever
djs_net is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #13
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

Cool looking avatar DJS Net...

Aloha,
Mike

CP = $180
SGs = $100
Basic Uniform (Pants, shirts, socks, belt, ball bags, accessories, cap, LU card and pen) = $150+
Shoes = $100
Annual Equipment / Uniform Updates = $100s
Training Resources = $100 minimum per year
Travel / Gas Expenses = $100s per year.
Concussion Potential = High

Game Fee = $40 average

Who says I do this for the money?
mturman is online now   Reply With Quote