Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Newbies (NO flaming allowed!)

Unread 04-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
adieste
Cadet
No Avatar

adieste is infamous around these parts
Default Teenager Needs Clothing and Gear Help

My 14-year-old son has an expensive travel ball habit, and (amongst other ventures) has chosen Little League umpiring to pay for his baseball passion. The good news is that he participates in the sport in which he passionately loves, learns much more about the game, and is good enough that the local LL chapters are willing to pay him $25 per game. The bad news is that all of the money he is earning has been plowed back into blue gear ... a necessary evil.

While the $200 or so he has invested in beginner-level protective gear is an expected part of his overhead, he is struggling with the price of "looking professional", as the price of specialty shirts, pants, shoes, etc., can be pretty expensive. Right now he's getting by with a couple of used shirts purchased recently here from a member (you know who you are ... thanks!), a pair of WalMart greys, and a pair of old solid black sneakers.

Added to the dilemma is the fact that he's a pretty little guy (5'4" and 100 lbs soaking wet), so it's tough to find pants that fit his 30" waist (those were the days).

So, here's the pitch ... if anyone here has/had a son who used to umpire, or if any of you were once that small, and would like to donate and/or sell inexpensivelly your used gear, you'd make a hard-working kid very happy.

Short note: It's not that his mom and I can't afford to pay for his baseball activities, it's that we beleive in that the more the kid earns his own way, the more he will appreciate it. Example - we pay gas, food, and hotels for tournaments, he pays registrations, fees, equipment, etc.

It's easy for kids nowadays to say, "Dad, I need a $200 glove (or two), a $250 BBCOR bat (or two), $300 per month to join the fancy academy team, etc. We prefer that the boy work part-time (umpire, sells baseball equipment out of his garage business, does yard work, etc.) There aren't a lot of (legal) things a 14-year-old can do to earn money these days.

Anyway, anything gently used and modestly priced would be appreciated. Feel free to contact:

Beto Dieste
209-588-1556
adieste@comcast.net

PS: Look him up on USSSA, and you'll see how much baseball the kid plays!

Thanks to you all ... Al (the Dad half of the father and son blue crew)
adieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
wayne37
Banned
Veteran
No Avatar

wayne37 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Re: Teenager Needs Clothing and Gear Help

Send me a PM with his sizes. I have one big package deal on some very nice used equipment and uniforms. What he can't wear, he can probably sell off, and get all or most of his money back on his investment....
wayne37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenager Needs Clothing and Gear Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne37 View Post
Send me a PM with his sizes. I have one big package deal on some very nice used equipment and uniforms. What he can't wear, he can probably sell off, and get all or most of his money back on his investment....
Now thats what umpiring brotherhood is all about helping out a young inspired Wayne I tip my hat to You.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote