Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > General

Unread 03-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Annual / Seasonal Game Count

Just curious what others do by way of calling games in any one season / year...Given that Hawaii is pretty much year round, most of our officials are pretty well taxed all year...

To share, last year I did 45 legion games, 42 high school games (OIA - public & ILH - private), approx. 20 adult level games and about 50-60 Pony games...

A lot of double headers to be sure but this really wears out both the person and the equipment...

Just curious what other experiences are around the group...Thanks in advance for sharing...

Aloha,
Mike

CP = $180
SGs = $100
Basic Uniform (Pants, shirts, socks, belt, ball bags, accessories, cap, LU card and pen) = $150+
Shoes = $100
Annual Equipment / Uniform Updates = $100s
Training Resources = $100 minimum per year
Travel / Gas Expenses = $100s per year.
Concussion Potential = High

Game Fee = $40 average

Who says I do this for the money?
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
semper_fi_72
Veteran Crew Chief

semper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Annual / Seasonal Game Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturman View Post
Just curious what others do by way of calling games in any one season / year...Given that Hawaii is pretty much year round, most of our officials are pretty well taxed all year...

To share, last year I did 45 legion games, 42 high school games (OIA - public & ILH - private), approx. 20 adult level games and about 50-60 Pony games...

A lot of double headers to be sure but this really wears out both the person and the equipment...

Just curious what other experiences are around the group...Thanks in advance for sharing...

Aloha,
Mike
302 games in 2010
293 games in 2011
43 in for 2012 so far and about to seriously pick up in another week.
Not doing HS this year for several reasons, especially since I accepted a UIC position with a LL.
Otherwise it is Adult Dbl Header every Sunday, LL, PONY, Legion and Travel Ball.
We are year round in Southern California also.

I am not even close to being worn out and I turned 57 today.
semper_fi_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

I had the feeling the semper_fi_72 would chime in he does alot of ball and There are some others whom I am sure will also add to this.

200 2010
303 Semi pro games 2011 Very long season here but rain outs during monsoon season. Jan-Dec.
30 NFHS 2011 (Very short season in Korea)
45 Pony league 2011
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
richvee
Veteran

richvee is a pillar in this communityrichvee is a pillar in this communityrichvee is a pillar in this communityrichvee is a pillar in this communityrichvee is a pillar in this communityrichvee is a pillar in this communityrichvee is a pillar in this communityrichvee is a pillar in this communityrichvee is a pillar in this community

Quote:
Originally Posted by semper_fi_72 View Post

I am not even close to being worn out and I turned 57 today.
Happy birthday. Best wishes and continued good health!!!
richvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

semper_fi_72 Happy Brithday and still going strong.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
jaxrolo
All-Star

jaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud of

The last couple years I have worked about 250 games each year.

By Christmas I need a bit of a break.
FHSAA High School Certified

River City Umpires Association Webmaster
jaxrolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
yawetag
Crew Chief

yawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy night

2009 - 32 games
2010 - 18 games
2011 - 17 games

I only get to umpire a few days a week. Starting in 2010, I was working Grave shift, so I could only get to games in the late evening, severely hurting my numbers. This year, I'm working evenings, so I'll only have Saturday morning, all day Sunday, and all day Monday. I expect my numbers to be close to 2011 numbers.
yawetag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
nwsquid
Regular
No Avatar

nwsquid enjoys it when you click on his iconnwsquid enjoys it when you click on his icon

I do 50-75 games a year (2 a night) weeknights 6 o'clock and 8 o'clock, and it's kiddo USSSA ball for the local Parks and Rec department over 3 to 4 months. I get excited when the season starts and am ready for a break from whining parents/coaches by the end.

I lurk constantly, but if you ever see me chime in on a post it is most likely an opinion rather than a fact. I don't like the idea of somebody doing the wrong thing based off of my idiot post.

"Can't quote silence."
nwsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
justus
Rookie
No Avatar

justus is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturman View Post

Aloha,
Mike
Turned 56 last fall.

In 2011 I did 75 games. Mostly double-headers.
The majority were high school games (44). The rest were a variety of high school age spring leagues, a kids' tournament, two adult leagues and 5 college games.
justus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
MrUmpireSir
Regular

MrUmpireSir has much to be proud ofMrUmpireSir has much to be proud ofMrUmpireSir has much to be proud ofMrUmpireSir has much to be proud ofMrUmpireSir has much to be proud ofMrUmpireSir has much to be proud ofMrUmpireSir has much to be proud of

105 Games in 2011, mostly HS and Am Legion. I remember doing about 130-150 games maybe 10 years ago. I'm 62 and still enjoy umpiring, but I don't want to do double headers in 100 degree heat anymore. I can see a time soon when I will have to cut back on the number of games I do because of arthritis and I just can't run like I used to.
MrUmpireSir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
mcmahm34
Veteran

mcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese's

I can understand the guys in the south and "year round" locations working hundreds of games. However, I think working more than a couple hundred in the areas where we only play at best Late March to September is crazy. I know by late August I'm about done after a 30-40 game stretch for NCAA in March to May. Then summer leagues another 60-70, mix in some tournaments and the Cape Cod League for a week and I'm spent.
mcmahm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
minn_ump
Rookie
No Avatar

minn_ump enjoys it when you click on his icon

I have averaged over 200 games a year over the last 10 years in the Minneapolis area...plus a full high school and youth football season of over 80 games a year.
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
mcmahm34
Veteran

mcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese's

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_ump View Post
I have averaged over 200 games a year over the last 10 years in the Minneapolis area...plus a full high school and youth football season of over 80 games a year.
I'm not doubting that in can be done and lots do it. I'm just wondering if it affects the overal quality of your game with so much work.
mcmahm34 is offline   Reply With Quote