Unread 08-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #14
western_ump
Veteran

western_ump enjoys it when you click on his icon
Default Re: A word of precaution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I did Legion Zone.

15 games in 7 days. 13 of them in 100+ degree weather with 110+ heat index.

The next week I did Legion AA State Tourney. I did 12 games in 4 days in the same weather.

I DIDN'T CARE HOW STUPID OR RIDICULOUS IT LOOKED. I took a cooler with 4 large Powerades, 2 wet towels, all in ice water. I drank at least 1 1/2 of the Powerades every game.

As bnump stated, this doesn't happen in one day or in one game. This is a cumulative effect. Just drinking enough to be "comfortable" is NOT enough.

Here is another tip: If you are running tight game sets, get some GLUCOSE tablets for a quick energy boost in case your blood sugar bottoms out.

And electrolite tablets. Life savers!
western_ump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #15
Dano
Veteran Crew Chief

Dano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by western_ump View Post
And electrolite tablets. Life savers!
Yep!

In that kind of heat and work... PEDIALYTE is also an excellent idea!
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #16
VTponyump
Veteran

VTponyump enjoys it when you click on his iconVTponyump enjoys it when you click on his icon

Lawump has posted vital information, and I regret that it took his experience to get our collective attention. Many of you here know my background, so I will try to keep it short.

1. Water only in the initial stages, then you MUST switch to an electrolyte replacing drink (Gatorade, Powerade, yep, even Pedialyte). Staying only with water creates a sitch we you are not replacing things like sodium. The layman's term is "water intoxication", the technical term is exertional hyponatremia. The overuse of water washes out the sodium from your body, doesn't replace it, your brain swells, and you die. That is not drama, my friends, it is fact and experience. Vitamin Water and other colored drinks are essentially just that...colored water. Stay away from them in these conditions.

2. Please know the difference between heat exhaustion and heat stroke. With heat exhaustion, you are sweating profusely as your body tries to cool you down. When you stop sweating, you are in serious trouble. You have lost your cooling sysem...your skin becomes dry, bright red, and your temp is through the roof. Your mental status will become altered, and time is of the essence. Call 9-1-1 without delay.

3. There are two other equally scary heat related conditions...exertional rhabdomyolosis (heat related muscle break down, flooding the kidneys with toxins), and sickle cell trait which can affect a few of our African-American colleagues who do NOT have sickle cell anemia. The heat, if they carry the trait, can cause sudden "sickling" of their red blood cells, and they will no longer carry oxygen effectively. The University of Central Florida just lost a landmark legal case in the death of a football player from heat induced sickle cell trait.

This link is to a publication from the Armed Forces Health Surveillance Center, which has studied this problem extensively. It is pertinent to us as umpires, because it involves military recruits with and without body armor, which is akin to a plate umpire in full gear.

http://www.afhsc.mil/viewMSMR?file=2010/v17_n03.pdf

I intended to keep it short...sorry, folks.
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #17
KenGibes
All-Star Crew Chief

KenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond repute

Most of my 100+ degree games are done in very low humidity, so your perspiration evaporates rapidly and doesn't accumulate. By doing this, it cools your body down (the whole reason you perspire, by the way...) and it doesn't seem so hot out. That's when it gets real dangerous. You don't feel the heat so bad but your body is losing between a pint and a quart of water per hour. By the time you feel thirsty, you're already way behind the curve in staying hydrated.

To stave off this condition, it's best to over hydrate all day prior to the game. If you enter the game well hydrated, you have a chance to get through it without falling behind. As others have said on the board, even gulping down 12-16 ounces of fluids between innings doesn't seem to do the job. That's because you're already behind the curve and you're just barely staying "in the game."
KenGibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #18
nopachunts
Crew Chief

nopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond repute
Default A word of precaution

VT,

What effect do carbonated and caffeinated drinks play in terms of heat exhaustion and stroke? I try to stay away from both the day before and of games. One of the guys I work with will pour down a couple of "Monster" drinks between games for an energy boost.

Appreciate your insights.
nopachunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:33 AM   #19
VTponyump
Veteran

VTponyump enjoys it when you click on his iconVTponyump enjoys it when you click on his icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
VT,

What effect do carbonated and caffeinated drinks play in terms of heat exhaustion and stroke? I try to stay away from both the day before and of games. One of the guys I work with will pour down a couple of "Monster" drinks between games for an energy boost.

Appreciate your insights.
The problem is less one of carbonation, but too much sugar and not enough salt. And one major study of "flat" soda vs "fizzy" soda for dehydration determined it was not the flat or fizzy, but the presence of sugar and lack of other electrolytes that were the issue.

The problem with drinks with high sugar levels (energy drinks in particular) is that prolonged use can exacerbate osmotic diuresis; in layman's terms, it sucks fluid out of your cells and your body excretes them. You can see where this would be a problem in an overheated body that is already losing fluid. Diet drinks are not much better, due to their caffiene content, and the so called sugar substitutes (aspartame and such) have not been studied enough in this kind of setting to know what harm is being done, if any.

Caffiene also has a diuretic component, but as we know, it is a potent stimulant (hence another reason why they are in energy drinks) that increases heart rate. When exposed to heat extremes and fluid loss, your heart rate increases to circulate the remaining fluid to keep things on line. Adding a known cardiac stimulant to that mix is asking for trouble...your heart rate goes too fast, your ventricles essentially lose prime, and BOOM...down you go, with potentially tragic consequences.

Soda and/or beer after a game?...absolutely. But ONLY after you have replaced the fluids you have lost that your body is demanding in a responsible way.
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #20
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

I have read this OP and all that have responded back and I must say it sure is an eye opener and some very good information and it could save your Life. Great Job lawump1 and to all others that have provided feedback on this issue.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #21
darrens
Rookie
No Avatar

darrens has much to be proud ofdarrens has much to be proud ofdarrens has much to be proud ofdarrens has much to be proud ofdarrens has much to be proud ofdarrens has much to be proud of

Great stuff guys!!! Having just come off a state tourney a couple of weeks back in 110+ heat index temps, I completely can relate. We talked alot about this topic.

I am going to copy much of this and pass it along to my colleagues.

Any way to "sticky" or "pin" this thread to keep it at the top?
darrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #22
sdix00
All-Star

sdix00 is movin' on upsdix00 is movin' on up

VT, lawump1 et al. -
This is a fascinating topic and this information is really landing.

It is amazing how much knowledge and experience is on this board.
Unread 08-11-2011, 02:53 AM   #23
kyle_jt
Crew Chief

kyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy night

Coming from a bike racing "career", I learned from some top folks on how to hydrate. It starts the day before, and you're looking (sorry, folks) for clear pee on race day. I learned that mixing down my Gatorade with water, 50/50, worked best for me. Drink before you're thirsty, never pass a water fountain without drinking. On the bike, I'd set up an alarm on my computer to go off every half an hour, as a reminder to drink and eat.

On the field during a scorcher, I'll pour cold water into my hat, run it around toward the back, and put it on. That water running down your neck and back is fabulous.
kyle_jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #24
VTponyump
Veteran

For those of you with interest in the Sickle Cell Trait I mentioned in a previous post, here is the NCAA Coaches advisory sheet:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/health_safet...forCoaches.pdf

It is a potentially fatal condition that can present during times of physical stress and high heat exposure.
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #25
gatoremt
Rookie

gatoremt enjoys it when you click on his icongatoremt enjoys it when you click on his icon

I had the bear on me a few weeks back doing a regional LL game. It was over 110 with the heat index at 2:30pm when the game started. I was wearing the cool packs and drinking water like crazy. By the end of the game I was just pouring cold water on my upper body to cool down.
gatoremt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #26
jomatiky
Crew Chief

jomatiky is a beacon of light on a stormy nightjomatiky is a beacon of light on a stormy nightjomatiky is a beacon of light on a stormy nightjomatiky is a beacon of light on a stormy nightjomatiky is a beacon of light on a stormy night

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoremt View Post
I had the bear on me a few weeks back doing a regional LL game. It was over 110 with the heat index at 2:30pm when the game started. I was wearing the cool packs and drinking water like crazy. By the end of the game I was just pouring cold water on my upper body to cool down.
In NYS high school sports if the heat index hit 96 teams cannot play and must get out of the heat all together. Don't understand leagues, especially LL allowing teams to play in that heat.