Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > Professional

Unread 06-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
thunderheads
All-Star

thunderheads is movin' on upthunderheads is movin' on up
Default Ozzie's Rant

Hilarious rant by Ozzie, even better is Soto's reaction!

Anyone have/find a clip of this from behind the plate, and/or, another angle than represented here?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=16110487
Unread 06-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ozzie's Rant

It's a fair ball. Look at the clip I captured. The catcher picked it up when the ball was right on the point of HP. The other view from center field shows the ball was to the left or right of the point of the plate. I am sure that Ozzie looked at a replay once he left the game. I always wonder how managers feel after they see a replay and realize the umpire was right after they have spent 5 minutes yelling and screaming at them saying the call was wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fair_ballx.jpg (62.2 KB, 58 views)
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
thunderheads
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel View Post
It's a fair ball. Look at the clip I captured. The catcher picked it up when the ball was right on the point of HP. The other view from center field shows the ball was to the left or right of the point of the plate. I am sure that Ozzie looked at a replay once he left the game. I always wonder how managers feel after they see a replay and realize the umpire was right after they have spent 5 minutes yelling and screaming at them saying the call was wrong.
That's a great still shot, but at best it's inconclusive. It 'looks' fair, but ....
Now, ...I am NOT saying it wasn't fair, I just haven't seen anything that truly 'confirms' it, but that's par for the course on a lot of plays with video angles.
Unread 06-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
boyinr
Rookie

boyinr enjoys it when you click on his icon

The video may not be able to prove anything but, both Soto and the PU had a perfect look at it. Neither one of them had any doubts as to fair or foul or a hesitation about the out.
boyinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
lustersilk
All-Star

lustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese's

Great call and EJ!
lustersilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
bnumpire
All-Star

bnumpire is a name known to allbnumpire is a name known to allbnumpire is a name known to allbnumpire is a name known to allbnumpire is a name known to allbnumpire is a name known to all

Watching the replay of this, it looks like Soto touches the ball while it was still touching the plate. IMO, Steve Stone and Ken Harrelson are two of the absolute worst broadcasters when it comes to criticizing umpires. Those two seem to think that every umpire is out to screw the Sox whenever he has the opportunity. I put them on the same level as Tim McCarver.
bnumpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
justus
Rookie
No Avatar

justus is just getting started

Quote:
I am sure that Ozzie looked at a replay once he left the game. I always wonder how managers feel after they see a replay and realize the umpire was right after they have spent 5 minutes yelling and screaming at them saying the call was wrong.
Ramirez is lucky he didn't get tossed initially when he pointed. Ozzie may have known it was fair, but made the big demonstration so he would get the ejection instead of Ramirez.
justus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderheads View Post
That's a great still shot, but at best it's inconclusive. It 'looks' fair, but ....
Now, ...I am NOT saying it wasn't fair, I just haven't seen anything that truly 'confirms' it, but that's par for the course on a lot of plays with video angles.
How can you say it's inconclusive? Look at the two still shots that capture the exact moment the catcher grabs the ball. One shot is from CF and the other is from the side. You can clearly see the ball is over the point of the plate at that moment.

It's a fair ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fair_bally.jpg (22.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg fair_ballx.jpg (62.2 KB, 32 views)
Unread 06-23-2011, 01:52 AM   #9
johnnyg08
All-Star
No Avatar

johnnyg08 is movin' on upjohnnyg08 is movin' on up

yeah, that last reply pretty much shows that for sure it was a fair ball. weird play
johnnyg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
thunderheads
All-Star

Quote:
How can you say it's inconclusive? Look at the two still shots that capture the exact moment the catcher grabs the ball. One shot is from CF and the other is from the side. You can clearly see the ball is over the point of the plate at that moment.

It's a fair ball.
How can I say it's inconclusive? Really?
I would just love to see a different (backside) angle. AGAIN, not saying it's NOT fair, or the call was INCORRECT. Yes, both captured pics posted do look like the ball is fair...I'd just love to see a different view than given so far, that's all...
Unread 06-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Quote:
I would just love to see a different (backside) angle. AGAIN, not saying it's NOT fair, or the call was INCORRECT. Yes, both captured pics posted do look like the ball is fair...I'd just love to see a different view than given so far, that's all...
Two views that are at perpendicular angles to each other both show the ball is over the white slab of HP. Any other view would have to show the same thing. You have 100% evidence the ball is fair and you want more?

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and smells like a duck.... it's a duck.
Unread 06-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
Ozzy
Veteran Crew Chief

Ozzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Here's a different view - stand on your head and look at Rich's pictures!

Ozzy
Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
thunderheads
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
Here's a different view - stand on your head and look at Rich's pictures!
THERE IT IS!!!!!!!!!