Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > High School

Unread 05-05-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
retired
Veteran
No Avatar

retired enjoys it when you click on his iconretired enjoys it when you click on his icon
Default foul tip/foul ball

Still confused on a foul tip/foul ball.
Two strikes, pitch tipped to catcher's mitt, to chest protector, back to mitt.
Foul tip or foul ball?
Would the ruling be different in pro ball?
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 03:04 AM   #2
CoachJM
Crew Chief

CoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy night
Cool Re: foul tip/foul ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Still confused on a foul tip/foul ball.
Two strikes, pitch tipped to catcher's mitt, to chest protector, back to mitt.
Foul tip or foul ball?
Would the ruling be different in pro ball?
retired,

The ruling would be the same (as of this year) in all codes.

In the sitch you describe, if the F2 eventually secured the ball and demonstrated voluntary/intentional release, that would be a foul tip.

If instead the tipped ball had hit his chest protector first, it would be an (uncaught) foul.

A "foul tip" is NOT a special definition of a foul ball - it's a special definition of a "Catch".

JM
Unread 05-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
jaym
No Avatar

jaym is just getting started
Default Re: foul tip/foul ball

Good example...I was under the impression by the wording I initially read that it had to go directly into the glove or hand and if it wasn't cleanly caught it wasn't a foul tip. Seeing your comment had me reread the rule (from OBR, don't have FED handy):
Quote:
A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher’s hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catcher’s glove or hand.
I basically read this as if the ball first touches the catcher's glove or hand, as long as the catcher secures it before it hits the ground, it still qualifies as a foul tip. Correct?
jaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: foul tip/foul ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaym View Post
Good example...I was under the impression by the wording I initially read that it had to go directly into the glove or hand and if it wasn't cleanly caught it wasn't a foul tip. Seeing your comment had me reread the rule (from OBR, don't have FED handy):

I basically read this as if the ball first touches the catcher's glove or hand, as long as the catcher secures it before it hits the ground, it still qualifies as a foul tip. Correct?
Correct.