Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > Professional

Unread 11-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #14
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WS Game 1

Yea that CP looked good too but I liked Joe West CP he wore behind the plate today in game 7. And who sell's that model that GD was wearing?

One of Jim Evans 7 laws of Umpiring
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
thunderheads
All-Star

thunderheads is movin' on upthunderheads is movin' on upthunderheads is movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyblue26 View Post
Yea that CP looked good too but I liked Joe West CP he wore behind the plate today in game 7. And who sell's that model that GD was wearing?
Game 6 ....

Anyhow, ...see my post (#12) from yesterday....you can't get the Riddell Power anymore, however, Mary at Gerry Davis Sports did call it a "Wilson Power" but did say it was approx. 15 yrs old.
Unread 11-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #16
semper_fi_72
Veteran Crew Chief

semper_fi_72 has a reputation beyond reputesemper_fi_72 has a reputation beyond reputesemper_fi_72 has a reputation beyond reputesemper_fi_72 has a reputation beyond reputesemper_fi_72 has a reputation beyond reputesemper_fi_72 has a reputation beyond reputesemper_fi_72 has a reputation beyond reputesemper_fi_72 has a reputation beyond reputesemper_fi_72 has a reputation beyond reputesemper_fi_72 has a reputation beyond reputesemper_fi_72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It wan game 7 to John. He is a day ahead of us over there....lol
semper_fi_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #17
finnerty
Crew Chief
No Avatar

finnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese's

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth503 View Post
Then Gerry's CP is special indeed. Veteran umpires speak of those like the holy grail.
I stole this vintage Douglas CP (and Douglas shins) on ebay for use as a back-up or a loaner. I took it to a clinic last month, and these two NCAA instructor guys look at each other, and one says, "He doesn't know what he has there."

Then he told me he would pay four times what I paid for it. I think it's a nice, simple, low-profile, hard-as-a-rock protector, but let's get real. It's a 15-year-old, well-kept piece of gear, but the stuff that Wilson puts out today is better. There's a fascination with the vintage stuff, and to a degree, I have that fascination. But what's so great about a Riddell Power or a Douglas West Vest that we would pay more for it than a brand new Gold?
finnerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #18
BrianC14
All-Star Crew Chief

BrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnerty View Post
I stole this vintage Douglas CP (and Douglas shins) on ebay for use as a back-up or a loaner. I took it to a clinic last month, and these two NCAA instructor guys look at each other, and one says, "He doesn't know what he has there."

Then he told me he would pay four times what I paid for it. I think it's a nice, simple, low-profile, hard-as-a-rock protector, but let's get real. It's a 15-year-old, well-kept piece of gear, but the stuff that Wilson puts out today is better. There's a fascination with the vintage stuff, and to a degree, I have that fascination. But what's so great about a Riddell Power or a Douglas West Vest that we would pay more for it than a brand new Gold?
Alright, then I'll offer you twice what you paid for the Douglas gear.
And the names and addresses of the two guys who offered you four times what you paid....
Unread 12-05-2009, 04:44 AM   #19
mazzamouth
No Avatar

Quote:

I have a douglass CP and its awesome... I also have a West Vest Gold and Once I got my Douglass I put the WV away... just so you know you can send that CP in and they will replace everything on there... It cost about 40 bucks.. but well worth it.
Unread 12-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #20
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

Same with the Riddell Power. It was a great protector, and fit under a shirt nicer than a Platinum or Gold.
AugieDonatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #21
finnerty
Crew Chief
No Avatar

finnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzamouth View Post
I have a douglass CP and its awesome... I also have a West Vest Gold and Once I got my Douglass I put the WV away... just so you know you can send that CP in and they will replace everything on there... It cost about 40 bucks.. but well worth it.
Wow, thanks for that. I am trying to work it into the rotation, but with your endorsement, I may use it more freely. Like Augie referred to on the Riddell, it certainly has a leaner profile than the other hard shells.
finnerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #22
mazzamouth
No Avatar

Quote:
Wow, thanks for that. I am trying to work it into the rotation, but with your endorsement, I may use it more freely. Like Augie referred to on the Riddell, it certainly has a leaner profile than the other hard shells.
I umpire alot of college ball, a little DI stuff and alot of DII....but those kids throw hard and I have been hit in the cp a bunch, and didnt feel anything... here is what mine look like...

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:24 AM   #23
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

That CP looks like it gives you the protection that you need. Hows about the collarbone area does it give you that protection like the WV or the gold CP?

One of Jim Evans 7 laws of Umpiring
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #24
mazzamouth
No Avatar

Quote:
That CP looks like it gives you the protection that you need. Hows about the collarbone area does it give you that protection like the WV or the gold CP?
I have another pic.. but it wraps over the collar bone...
Unread 12-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #25
thunderheads
All-Star

thunderheads is movin' on upthunderheads is movin' on upthunderheads is movin' on up

my only thing w/ the Douglas is the collarbone/shoulder gap....
Unread 12-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #26
mazzamouth
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderheads View Post
my only thing w/ the Douglas is the collarbone/shoulder gap....
Dont even need to worry about it.. when they are on the gap is very , very very small...