Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > NCAA

Unread 04-16-2018, 02:14 AM   #1
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brutal Series

Flew to Hilo for a 4 game series, scheduled for a 4 & 7pm game on Friday and Saturday...

Arrived at the stadium at 2:30pm, rains delayed 1st game start until 6:15pm.

I had the plate for the 2nd game, which started at about 10:15pm. Finished at 1:15am.

Back the next day at 12noon...Second game started at 3:10pm and finished at 6pm...

Technically we did 4 college games in less than 24 hours...Ugh.

Glad it's over...but also glad for the experience...both teams and coaches admitted they have never gone through anything like that...hopefully we won't ever do so again...

Aloha,
Mike
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2018, 10:25 PM   #2
basshack
Rookie
No Avatar

basshack has much to be proud ofbasshack has much to be proud ofbasshack has much to be proud ofbasshack has much to be proud ofbasshack has much to be proud ofbasshack has much to be proud ofbasshack has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brutal Series

I'll see your four games and raise you my last of the summer season. It was self inflicted, because I volunteered, but still.

Friday saw the start of our LL State Championship. Started at 9:30 in the morning and ended 11:40 that evening. 4 games played, two with a partner, one solo plate, one four man. We had an hour off for lunch. Did the four man for the last game because we figured we'd have to do less running. We had an ejection in the last so I had to write up the report before going to bed Sunday morning after getting back home. Every game got blown out and we didn't have enough umpires so it was back to back all day swapping between plate and line work for the most part. I was supposed to back up the next day but another umpire came into the crew so I didn't have to squish in another game in the first time slot in the morning.

The next day I plated a rain delayed softball Open Womens which didn't get going till late in the afternoon. Slept in but got to the ground to watch the U19 final only to find it washed out so lots of waiting around for my match but a good tight game till the end.

Sunday through Tuesday I had three games per day with a local club who invite 4 Japanese teams over to play friendlies. Under 14's but boy these kids can play and it's a great tournament to be involved in. 70 minute games with 15min breaks in-between. Plated 7 games and got some relief from my son who came down for a day and have some fun too. Don't mind saying that I got caught flat footed a couple of times with the way the Japanese kids play. Lots of stealing bases, extending to the next base, lots of effort in the field to get the catch. Hard work when you're on your own but fun.

Needless to say I slept in on Wednesday and took the next weekend off. Could of have done the State Softball U19 Championships but wasn't "needed" so didn't show. They were running three-man systems so it would of have been nice to get the practice in but the head wasn't enthusiastic.
basshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2018, 12:17 AM   #3
jmurray
Veteran Crew Chief
No Avatar

jmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturman View Post
Flew to Hilo for a 4 game series, scheduled for a 4 & 7pm game on Friday and Saturday...

Arrived at the stadium at 2:30pm, rains delayed 1st game start until 6:15pm.

I had the plate for the 2nd game, which started at about 10:15pm. Finished at 1:15am.

Back the next day at 12noon...Second game started at 3:10pm and finished at 6pm...

Technically we did 4 college games in less than 24 hours...Ugh.

Glad it's over...but also glad for the experience...both teams and coaches admitted they have never gone through anything like that...hopefully we won't ever do so again...

Aloha,
Mike
Kudos to you for not leaving to catch a flight back home
http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...6950aa561.html
jmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #4
basshack
Rookie
No Avatar

basshack has much to be proud ofbasshack has much to be proud ofbasshack has much to be proud ofbasshack has much to be proud ofbasshack has much to be proud ofbasshack has much to be proud ofbasshack has much to be proud of

I wonder how many others got caught out by the delays too. Iíve only had one game run late to rush us off to the airport but that was also a dodgy decision on my part booking an earlier flight than was safe.
basshack is offline   Reply With Quote