Go Back   Forums > ABUA > System Tips and AOL Advice

Unread 07-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ground Rules

All members of this website should review the "Ground Rules" of our forums periodically.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Our forum policy is simple, the Forum is provided free to URC members for friendly discussion of topics relevant to sports officiating with emphasis on baseball and softball. If you are unsure which forum you should post, you can add your topic to the General topics Forum and we will move it to the appropriate location.

It's been great that things have been generally calm and informative on the website recently. New posters are joining all the time. From time to we should remind everyone that there are very few restrictions about what can be posted on this website. But there are several ground rules we should keep in mind to allow everyone to enjoy their participation as much as possible.

“Friendly discussion” is broad enough to include disagreement, even pointed criticism, as well as pleasant observations and exchanges. What it excludes are insults, name calling, libel, thread hijacking, tasteless profanity, trolling, commercial promotion, spamming, copyright violations and similar social or legal transgressions. If you don't get the picture you can send a private message (PM) to any moderator and inquire.

1. Keep the topics of your posts related to areas of interest to umpires and sports officiating. Posts on topics that fall outside of those areas will be removed. Please keep your political and religious views out of the forums. It is acceptable to place a link in your post to your personal webpage, to your official's association or to a commercial product that would be of interest to umpires. However, links to websites the administrators consider unrelated to the interests sports official is prohibited and we will ask you to remove them.

2. Do not put up duplicate posts. Sometimes new posters will assume that contributors only look in one or two of our 21 forums. Most contributors look in almost all the forums so please pick one forum and put your post there. We will all see it eventually. Please don't post identical items in more than one forum. If you are unsure where you should post, you can add your topic to the General topics Forum and we will move it to the appropriate location.

3. Do not solicit unauthorized copies of copyrighted materials. Many of us own DVD's or manuals that were bought and are copyright protected. It is illegal to privately reproduce these items for sale, or even to give away to others. This website may not be used as a vehicle to publicly seek out or offer pirated copies of such intellectual property. If you choose to swap, buy or sell items from other members on this forum you do this at your own risk. Please keep all dealings private via direct email or PM. If there is a post-transaction dispute, keep that conversation private as well. Please don't create a "Peoples Court" thread if you're unhappy with what you bought. Caveat emptor!

4. Do not advertise. If you are in the business of selling things that umpires might want to buy, or if you own or manage another commercial website or run an association, you may create ONE post to simply and briefly inform us about your business or website and nothing more. Please do not post product lists, price lists, coupons, etc. Please do not take up this website's bandwidth with pasted URL's, graphics or text advertisements and solicitations. These will be removed ASAP. You can buy ad space on this website if you want for this purpose. Offers to sell or swap your own personal used or new items or things you don't need are welcome in the appropriate forum.

5. Avoid personal attacks and insults. Just as we allow on the field, you can criticize the call but not the man. Go ahead and comment all you like about somebody's ideas and their opinions. Be as frank as you like. But there is no need to insult the poster himself.

6. Please don't use our forums to launch a vendetta or promote a campaign to discredit any other person, group, business, clinic, camp, or organization. You can mention in one post that you had a bad experience and that you might advise others about future dealing with any of these groups. But do not use our forums to attempt to organize any actions against these parties. These kinds of posts will be removed.

7. There are no stupid questions… Well, actually there are, but if somebody is at a level where he needs to ask a stupid question, give him the benefit of the doubt. You were once at that level too. If you want to answer it, answer it honestly. Please don't give a guy a hard time about asking a dumb question.

8. Don:t coment on gramer or speelling. This is not a grammar school nor is it a literary website. Many contributors often will rush off a post between phone calls while at work. Many posters are not native to the English Language. Lot's folks don't have spell-check! Many posters simply do not type well, write well, or have a great vocabulary. Some posters might be dyslexic or have little formal education. So what! All posters are welcome. Proof reading is a good habit, but its not a requirement here. Please avoid responding to posts with crass criticisms of another poster's writing skill, spelling, or composition. fi you cin udnersantd watt he hos wrttin than yuo con answre his qestion.

9. Feel free to contribute your thoughts to any thread that is unlocked and available. There is no time limit on when you may make a post in any thread. There is no such thing as a dead issue. If the thread is open it is fair game for a response, opinion or new post.

10. You don't have to be nice. But please don't be snarky. The conversations are yours and if you are bothered by somebody's refusal to accept your answer or opinion or if he cannot understand your point of view there is no requirement that you have to sugarcoat your words. Express yourself! However, just please avoid the insults. Even a gentleman can be harsh.

11. If you wish to quote others, please be careful that you quote them accurately, or do not attribute them. If you do quote others please give appropriate credit to your source.

12. PM means PRIVATE message. It is unethical and inappropriate to post in a public forum anything that another poster might send you in a PM. That is why it is called a PRIVATE message. We should all expect a level of confidentiality will be respected when sending a PM to another poster. If you receive objectionable messages in a PM you may report it and/or quote it to a moderator or an administrator.

If you ever feel that you have been maligned, embarrassed, abused or insulted on our forums in some way that violates these ground rules please PM me or any moderator and we will be happy to remove anything offensive and/or contact the offender.

Note: This website is privately owned and, as such, the website owners, their agents, any website administrators or moderators, ("URC") have absolute authority to remove or edit anything posted herein, and to suspend or ban any person who, in the judgment of the URC, has violated the ground rules of this website as set forth above. The URC has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these ground rules.

Last edited by Richard_Siegel; 07-05-2016 at 05:04 PM. Reason: updated 11/2012
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #2
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ground Rules

Attention new members of the ABUA website!

Things have gotten a little snarky lately. All members of this website, old and new, should take a minute to review the "Ground Rules" (listed above) of our forums periodically.

Thanks!
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2018, 10:24 PM   #3
vegas_ump
Veteran
No Avatar

vegas_ump is a pillar in this communityvegas_ump is a pillar in this communityvegas_ump is a pillar in this communityvegas_ump is a pillar in this communityvegas_ump is a pillar in this communityvegas_ump is a pillar in this communityvegas_ump is a pillar in this communityvegas_ump is a pillar in this communityvegas_ump is a pillar in this communityvegas_ump is a pillar in this community
Default Re: Ground Rules

About a year ago--when I installed Norton Security on my Mac--, I noticed that every time I came to the ABUA site, I got a red banner that this site was dangerous to my computer. I clicked "Proceed to the site", and it worked fine.

Now just recently, I have noticed that Norton has figured out that ABUA can be white-listed on the browser, so it seems to work fine. It is possible that I had to get rid of some chaff on my machine that created some confusion.

Anyway, it's working fine now, and if you have a Mac with Norton and have had similar problems, contact me, and I'll tell you what I did to clear it up.

Cheers!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't!
vegas_ump is offline   Reply With Quote