Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Ejections

Unread 06-05-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
apw0413

apw0413 is just getting started
Default My First Toss - Was I Within Reason?

I'm a first year man in blue - my first EJ was a pretty easy one - at least in MY EYES. It was my 10th game or so -15,16 year old Senior League game - I was U2 - in A. BR hits a little dribbler down to third - F5 makes a smooth off balance throw on the run. The BR isnt the fleetest of foot, F3 comes off the bag in his stretch in anticipation of a closer play, but comes back on nipping BR by a half step. Since I was in A, I had the best angle coming in - saw it perfectly. BR comes off after I rung him - throws up his hands and yells "He was pulled off!" I respond, "NO sir, he came back on the bag and got you by a half step." Kid is heading back towards the dugout and yells the F-bomb. Whether it was directed at me, or to himself for running at the speed of Benji Molina, I tossed him quick.

It was a 15-16 year old game Senior League Game, with many very good varsity players in a city of 100,000. I had one umpire tell me that it was "weak" of me to toss him for yelling that because it wasn't necissarily directed towards me. My response to him was whether it was meant to show me up or not, at this level of ball there are parents and grandparents and even high school coaches in the crowd, and that isn't to be tolerated. A VETERAN official in my chapter told me this, and responded to my explanation by saying I should let the kids play, and be competetive. My response to THAT is that this ISN'T college or pro baseball. At that level, you might let that situation slide.

On the other hand, another vet official in my chapter told me I did the right thing. I'm very confident I did. Thoughts, comments?

"That's not the umpire! It's Enrico Pallazo!"
"You can't throw me out! I'm an umpire!"
apw0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2005, 02:32 PM   #2
archipelligo
Veteran

archipelligo is just getting started

IF he said it loud enough for fans, grandparents, little kids and women to hear, you did the right thing. 15 and 16 YO's are not really adults yet and should have more class than that, whether directed at you or not. If he said it down at 2nd base under his breath, and no one heard, let that go, or just laugh at him, that might make him mad enough to do something else.
archipelligo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 12:06 AM   #3
cbfoulds
Veteran

cbfoulds is a jewel in the roughcbfoulds is a jewel in the roughcbfoulds is a jewel in the rough

Mark me down as "me, too" w/ what arch wrote.
cbfoulds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 02:20 AM   #4
apw0413

apw0413 is just getting started

Quote:
If he said it down at 2nd base under his breath, and no one heard, let that go, or just laugh at him, that might make him mad enough to do something else.
I'm not looking to incite a player to smart off to me. I've had situations.. like when I was PU - when a talented young catcher made a bad throw to 2nd - and under his breath he dropped a GD.
I smiled and looked at him and said "What do you think your mom say if she heard you say that?"
He said "I don't think when I play, Blue."
I said, "well, you're going to be a hell of a ballplayer then. Great players don't think out here. As long as you don't direct it at me."

"That's not the umpire! It's Enrico Pallazo!"
"You can't throw me out! I'm an umpire!"
apw0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 04:55 AM   #5
startthecar

startthecar is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds
Mark me down as "me, too" w/ what arch wrote.
Put me in for a "me, three."
If it's loud enough to be heard away from field, especially the F-bomb (I really like that!), it's loud enough to shock somebody's maiden aunt and at that age, they definitely should have more class than that.
You got that one absolutely right.
startthecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #6
No Avatar

A Player slips a little "aww S**T", or a "dammit" under his breath after he is thrown out or something, I feel he is only venting his frustration/disappointment at himself for the play, i.e "should hustled more" or "dang, we needed that run!", ect I let it slide. Usually no one even hears it but him and me and maybe a close fielder. IF he says it "loud enough" I might give him a "look" or maybe even a "easy dude!" under my breath as I make a casual detour close to him usually followed with a wink.

BUT anyone drops the F bomb, and I drop him. No questions asked. Fed rules specify no profanity and the F Bomb meets my criteria for it. Can you say " Laser guided munitions"?
Unread 06-06-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
bamatazz
Rookie

bamatazz is just getting started

If it is loud enough for others to hear.....dump him.

If it is said under his breath and just you and maybe someone close by hears.....a stern warning between you and him (and maybe his coach).

Tazz
bamatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #8
LMan
Rookie

LMan is just getting started

as you are a first-year umpire, I would lean toward the side of dumping in sitches like this. They are testing you (maybe without realizing it, really) and want to see what you will take. Only after you are established and respected in your leagues can you accept this (rarely) w/o an ejection, sitch-dependent, of course.

JMO, as always. I think you did right.
Unread 06-07-2005, 05:03 AM   #9
ncump7
Cadet

ncump7 is just getting started

Dump Him!!!!

NCUmp 7
Go Heels ! ! !
ncump7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #10
Rcichon
Cadet

Rcichon is just getting started

HE was pushing YOU.

dump him.
Unread 06-09-2005, 05:56 AM   #11
Adam

Adam is just getting started

Wow. You guys are all some red asses. If you eject a player every time he says, "****," you're going to be writing a lot of reports. You've got to let the rats blow off some steam sometimes.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2005, 01:37 PM   #12
bamatazz
Rookie

bamatazz is just getting started

Adam,

Are you calling us red a**es because we are inforcing a rule of no profanity? Someone drops an "F" bomb or any other curse word that can be heard by most poeple other than me and whomever is in close proximity is done. If it is under his breath, then it is just a stern look and a "I heard that."

Letting rats blow off steam is one thing. But to my knowledge, in most leagues, profanity of any kind is not tolerated. So if dumping a coach or player for dropping a "F" bomb is me being a red a**, then that is what I am.

Tazz
bamatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #13
archipelligo
Veteran

archipelligo is just getting started

As macho as we all are, I don't think you can use the term 'rats' on 15 and 16 year olds. If they Fbomb loud enough for the crowd to easily hear, dumpem. Older players 17,18 maybe, maybe not, depends on the situation, but if their mommy is driving them to the game, they have to be careful of saying adult words and phrases too loudly. But either way, you can't go wrong. If the coach questions or challenges, your reply might be " Do you let them talk that way around you? I don't"
archipelligo is offline   Reply With Quote