Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Ejections

Unread 07-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute
Default EJ Over On Deck Circle

I like it...Locally we see a lot of fields that don't draw them. Fair enough...but at a minimum we work to regulate the location of the on-deck batter. Some always try to cheat and get closer to get a better look at pitches and from time to time we have to deal with it...

As well, part of the issue is when one official or group will allow batters to literally, nearly get behind the batter while on deck as opposed to others that will take a stance against it...

And as we all know, the location of the circle is regulated by rule...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/...eZH?li=BBnba9I

Aloha,
Mike
mturman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
Pete_Booth
All-Star Crew Chief

Pete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EJ Over On Deck Circle

Quote:
mturman;205104]I like it...Locally we see a lot of fields that don't draw them. Fair enough...but at a minimum we work to regulate the location of the on-deck batter. Some always try to cheat and get closer to get a better look at pitches and from time to time we have to deal with it...

As well, part of the issue is when one official or group will allow batters to literally, nearly get behind the batter while on deck as opposed to others that will take a stance against it...

And as we all know, the location of the circle is regulated by rule...

Aloha,
Mike
Mike looks like Beltre wanted an early shower anyway. The score was Marlins 18 Rangers 6. He did not even argue but simply left which tells me he had enough of that game.

Not to start a different topic but another rule MLB could put in to speed up the game is the Mercy rule. Nothing good happens in a blow out.

Pete Booth
Pete_Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #3
typikon
All-Star Crew Chief
No Avatar

typikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Booth View Post
Mike looks like Beltre wanted an early shower anyway. The score was Marlins 18 Rangers 6. He did not even argue but simply left which tells me he had enough of that game.

Not to start a different topic but another rule MLB could put in to speed up the game is the Mercy rule. Nothing good happens in a blow out.

Pete Booth
Thank you!! I agree with the idea of an MLB mercy rule. I wonder if anyone has every broached the topic?

The players are all used to it and don't complain about it in the lower levels.
typikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Booth View Post

Pete Booth
I agree completely...I was informed of a recent game locally (Adult level but not quality ball) with one team being blown out...Fielder makes a HARD tag on an approaching runner knocking him on his ass when he attempted to steal...Not entirely sure of the particulars...But it was an auto EJ...

At one time this particular league had two levels of the mercy rule...15 runs after 5 and 10 after 7...Now it's only 10 after 7...which is rarely attained.

Aloha,
Mike
mturman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by typikon View Post

The players are all used to it and don't complain about it in the lower levels.
Depends on how you go through the progression.

In LL the mercy rule is optional in regular season.

In NY there is no mercy rule in HS.

There is no mercy rule in college or pro ball.

You could go through an entire career and never be in a mercy rule game.
Unread 07-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #6
jmurray
Veteran Crew Chief
No Avatar

jmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Ives View Post
Depends on how you go through the progression.

There is no mercy rule in college or pro ball.

The possibility exists in college:

Ten-Run Rule
SECTION 77� By conference rule, or mutual consent of both coaches before the contest, a game may be stopped only after seven innings if one team is ahead by at least 10 runs�
Each team must play an equal number of innings unless shortened because the home team needs none or only part of its half of the final inning�"

Last edited by jmurray; 07-28-2017 at 04:35 PM.
jmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurray View Post
The possiblity exists in college:

Ten-Run Rule
SECTION 77� By conference rule, or mutual consent of both coaches before the contest, a game may be stopped only after seven innings if one team is ahead by at least 10 runs�
Each team must play an equal number of innings unless shortened because the home team needs none or only part of its half of the final inning�"
That's an opt-in, not a regular rule.

Fact remains you can play a career and never be subject to a mercy rule.
Unread 07-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #8
jmurray
Veteran Crew Chief
No Avatar

jmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond reputejmurray has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Ives View Post
That's an opt-in, not a regular rule.

Fact remains you can play a career and never be subject to a mercy rule.
True, but your post should read:

In College the mercy rule is optional but rarely seen.

There is no mercy rule in pro ball.

jmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2017, 12:58 AM   #9
typikon
All-Star Crew Chief
No Avatar

typikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond repute

It's a rare professional player that hasn't played summer ball, doesn't that mostly have mercy rules?

I cannot imagine a little league not utilizing the 10-run rule. That's rare.

The point: other than NY, most players that are bound for MLB have never played a game without a mercy rule. It's all they've known. You can say college players don't have a mercy rule but a lot of phenoms don't even play NCAA.

I've never heard a coach or player complain about the mercy rule. Games that go beyond a 10-run differential are no fun for anyone, if you played such games out to the end of the 7th inning, they would go 3 or 4 or more hours.
typikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #10
kengibes
All-Star Crew Chief

kengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond repute

I think Rich's point is simply that it's possiblefor a player to go his whole career without playing in a baseball game that has a 10 run rule.

Just like saying it's possible to flip a coin 100 times and have it come up "heads" every time.

You can argue the probability of such an occurance all you want, but you can't argue the possibility of it happening.
kengibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2017, 01:12 AM   #11
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's official.
You guys will argue about ANYTHING.
Unread 07-31-2017, 12:26 PM   #12
kengibes
All-Star Crew Chief

kengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunyankee View Post
Well, it's official.
You guys will argue about ANYTHING.
I don't agree. I think we'll argue about most things. But I don't think that we'll argue about anything.
kengibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2017, 09:49 PM   #13
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengibes View Post
I don't agree. I think we'll argue about most things. But I don't think that we'll argue about anything.
I think we would.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote