Go Back   Forums > The Gear... > Umpire Equipment

Unread 04-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All Star Shin Guards at Ump-Attire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunyankee View Post
I looked around on the net for reviews and found a few. Nothing negative was said, but I had hoped to get some real-life feedback from someone using them on a regular basis.

If I hear anything, I'll let you know.
I have been shopping for some new ones...Still love my Diamonds but want something that I can wash a little easier and without the exposed rivets...

I checked out the Davis models per John and they look good, and cost much less...Just not convinced either way yet and don't want to spend the dollars until I am...

Aloha,
Mike
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I had the Davis Shins and hated them. I changed to Wilson (the gray ones) and they work/fit very well.

I'm just itching to buy something new and the All Star shins have caught my eye.
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I had the Davis Shins and hated them. I changed to Wilson (the gray ones) and they work/fit very well.

I'm just itching to buy something new and the All Star shins have caught my eye.
I will take that as good feedback on the GD...There is something that looks a little peculiar, to me, about them, thus my reluctance...The All Star have quite a sexy look to them for sure...

Aloha,
Mike
Unread 04-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
smithma89
Rookie

smithma89 enjoys it when you click on his icon

Quote:

I've been wearing the Wilson (gray) for about 10 yrs. I really like them, especially the hard ankle protector. My only slight complaint would be that the lower flap is not removeable. I have heard people just cut it off. I also removed the top most strap so it didn't rub, no problem keeping them in place.

I am looking to replace them and leaning towards just buying the same unless somebody comes up with a better suggestion.
smithma89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
MCLEOD36
All-Star

MCLEOD36 enjoys it when you click on his icon

Mike.
Now dont laugh, I wear the Easton ones, the stealth catchers shin guards and I cut off the bottom flaps.

They are very light weight in FLA, great protection and much cheaper.

http://www.cheapbats.com/shop/easton...lt-p-1817.html

John
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #19
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCLEOD36 View Post
Mike.
Now dont laugh, I wear the Easton ones, the stealth catchers shin guards and I cut off the bottom flaps.

They are very light weight in FLA, great protection and much cheaper.

http://www.cheapbats.com/shop/easton...lt-p-1817.html

John
THanks John,

They look nice but I also notice that there does not seem to be a protective shell over the area between the knee and the top of the shin...This is important to me...Last year working the AJA (high level adult) i took a foul ball right in that spot...Upgraded the next day My new ones (Diamonds) have this and the ones I am shopping for must have as well...But these do look sexy...

Aloha,
Mike
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #20
Radwaste50
Regular

Radwaste50 is a jewel in the roughRadwaste50 is a jewel in the roughRadwaste50 is a jewel in the roughRadwaste50 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Have used them since the start of this year. Comfortable and light, they fell very sturdy, havent taken a real hard shot (knock wood) but they feel like they'd hold up.
They come up high so I find i have to drop pants down put on the guards and pull up pants is the easiest donning method.
Radwaste50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #21
MCLEOD36
All-Star

MCLEOD36 enjoys it when you click on his icon

Mike.
They have this pad (actually two of them above the knee), that is very comfortable and similar to the shell, but lighter. I just ordered another pair.
Used a coupon code of "comp" and got another 10% off.

The older stealth ones, had a hard plastic shell (above the knee pad), I liked them, started using these, when my hand got hit on some foul balls and there is a bit more give in the padding here, so for me they have been great.

As for the shin and knee space, it is actually very small and you wont get clobbered there, since the shell covers both areas and is more of a joint.

John
Unread 04-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #22
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Thans John...Got hit there once...Once was enough...I won't take the chance anymore

Aloha,
Mike
Unread 07-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #23
dontflinch
No Avatar

dontflinch is just getting started

I've worn the new All-Star shin guards since the start of the 2012 season. Love them more than my wife. They have special padding unlike any other shin guard. Also, they have a harness for the straps so you don't have to worry about getting chafed, if you don't wear tights. I recommend them to all my partners that I work with. Go get them, cause there worth it.
dontflinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #24
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Good feedback.

Might go buy some now.
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #25
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

I also have a set of the GD shin and I love them has the protection that I need and I find them easy to keep clean. The straps are good no cutting into the legs and Only two staps top and bottom. Had thenm about 4 years now still good. but each and everyone of us has our likes and dislikes. If i was to purchase a new pair it would be the wilson gray ones.

One of Jim Evans 7 laws of Umpiring
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #26
UMP45
Veteran

UMP45 is a pillar in this communityUMP45 is a pillar in this communityUMP45 is a pillar in this communityUMP45 is a pillar in this communityUMP45 is a pillar in this communityUMP45 is a pillar in this communityUMP45 is a pillar in this communityUMP45 is a pillar in this communityUMP45 is a pillar in this community

Ask Rapuano if he likes the Davis!
UMP45 is offline   Reply With Quote