Go Back   Forums > The Gear... > Umpire Equipment

Unread 03-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute
Default All Star Shin Guards at Ump-Attire

Has anyone tried these yet? Just curious how they feel, etc. I have been using the Diamonds and like them very much..With the exception of the inside having exposed metal rivets that corrode over time...

I like the look of the straps across the back of the leg and the fact that the scapula pad is removable and washable...Not a common trait on many models...Plus the removable toe cap...again, not offered in all models...

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide...

http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=1

Aloha,
Mike

Last edited by mturman; 03-27-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Additional Info
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
johnnyg08
All-Star
No Avatar

johnnyg08 is movin' on upjohnnyg08 is movin' on up
Default Re: All Star Shin Guards at Ump-Attire

If you're looking for new shin guards, they're spendy but Douglas just came out with new leg guards and CP's for those who are interested.
johnnyg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=mturman;134914]Has anyone tried these yet? Just curious how they feel, etc. I have been using the Diamonds and like them very much..With the exception of the inside having exposed metal rivets that corrode over time...

I like the look of the straps across the back of the leg and the fact that the scapula pad is removable and washable...Not a common trait on many models...Plus the removable toe cap...again, not offered in all models...

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide...

http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=1

I would think that if your shin guards are covering your scapula, you're wearing them wrong!
Unread 03-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturman View Post
and the fact that the scapula pad
If the shin guards cover your scaupla, they are too long.
bobjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
wayne37
Banned
Veteran
No Avatar

wayne37 has a little shameless behavior in the past

The Gerry Davis shin guards are the best. I don't think they can be beat.
wayne37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Bob. I beat you to it!!!!!
Unread 03-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
johnnyg08
All-Star
No Avatar

johnnyg08 is movin' on upjohnnyg08 is movin' on up

We know he means patella. Er maybe not.
johnnyg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, yeah, I got it guys...Hope everyone got their jab in at my expense...

I can take it...

Aloha,
Mike

P.S. I am an umpire, not a doctor...
Unread 03-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne37 View Post
The Gerry Davis shin guards are the best. I don't think they can be beat.
I may agree have the GD shin guards and they provide the protection I need and its like I don't even have them on.

One of Jim Evans 7 laws of Umpiring
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #10
kyle_jt
Crew Chief

kyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy night

I've been wearing Bauer hockey official shinguards, that are really close in design to the Davis, for many years. Big, wide velcro straps, Cool max lined, with solid knee protection. I've got a pair of WV as backups, but haven't used them in a very long time.
kyle_jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

Thinking about the All Star shin guards. Anyone using them yet?

Reviews?
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunyankee View Post
Thinking about the All Star shin guards. Anyone using them yet?

Reviews?
Thus the reason for my orginal post...Let me know if you hear anything outsite of this post brother...

Aloha,
Mike
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

I looked around on the net for reviews and found a few. Nothing negative was said, but I had hoped to get some real-life feedback from someone using them on a regular basis.

If I hear anything, I'll let you know.