Go Back   Forums > The Gear... > Umpire Equipment

View Poll Results: Would you use this indicator on the field?
Yes - It's Awesome!! 3 8.11%
No - I like the old fashoned one. 31 83.78%
Maybe - Undecided. 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 02-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
inventor

inventor is just getting started
Default Digital Umpire Indicator

Check out this new invention!!

http://theinventorgroup.googlepages.com/

This invention has just received a provisional patent!
Will be on shelves this fall!
Unread 02-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Jerry
Cadet
No Avatar

Jerry is just getting started

I can't imagine an umpire that would walk on the field with that gadget!

BTW, the word "clicker" is basically taboo and looked down on by umpires. Indicator is the proper word for the piece of equipment that umpires use during games.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
inventor

Default Indicator...

I want to make your job easier so let me know:

Is it too bulky?
Too complicated?
inventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
Scuzzyfeller
Veteran

Scuzzyfeller has much to be proud ofScuzzyfeller has much to be proud ofScuzzyfeller has much to be proud ofScuzzyfeller has much to be proud ofScuzzyfeller has much to be proud ofScuzzyfeller has much to be proud ofScuzzyfeller has much to be proud of
Default Re: Indicator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inventor

Is it too bulky?
Too complicated?
It sure looks BULKY...wrist band or not...the mask goes to the left hand and with that thing bouncing around off the wrist...while carrying the mask...I DON'T SEE IT!

Inventor should think SMALLER and more along the size of the current indicators!

Nothing bigger than a peanut cell phone!

Obviously the technology is there to do it!

But...I think I'll side with the old school "wheel and deal" indicator...I can't see this new toy being anywhere reasonably priced...or for that matter...tough enough to be dropped on the pavement several times too boot!

Scuzz
Unread 02-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Digital Umpire Clicker/Indicator

Quote:
Check out this new invention!!

http://theinventorgroup.googlepages.com/

This invention has just received a provisional patent!
By use of the term "clicker" and from the look of the item I suspect that this product was developed without the input of any trained umpires. This gadget, which kind of resembles a ray gun, would be useful by a an assistent coach or an official scorekeeper in the dugout to help keep track of the game.

I would never use this product on the field as an umpire in a million years.

The INDICATORS we prefer to use are designed to be small and flat so they can be easilly held under and only by the left thumb while we need the rest of the left hand and fingers to point and signal. We also prefer to drop the indicator into a pocket when not in use.

This product has a wrist strap that implies that the user can release the item and let it dangle if he were to need his hand for other things. Can you imagine how silly and dangerous that would be?

Suppose you wanted to make a safe call. You would release the item, let it dangle. Then as you snap your arms out to make the call, the item would whip around like a yo-yo. Suppose to hand to point a runner to a base. That thing could swing back and hit you in the face.

Put this "clicker" thing in the same musuem with the leather ball bag and the indicator that had back-lighted numerals that somebody tried to market a few years back. They bombed too.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

Whomever voted : "Yes - It's Awesome!!" in the poll above.....

Reveal yourself and explain!

Also, to whomever you are...do you wear your shinguards over or under you bluejeans when you umpire? Do you hold you balloon chest protector with your right hand or left hand?
Unread 02-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
dash_riprock
All-Star Crew Chief

dash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond repute

I would buy it if it had 2 additional features:

1. A laser pointer that I could use to ZAP runners out or back to a base

2. A programmed loudspeaker, where all I had to do was push one of 7 buttons and it would blast STRIKE, BALL, SAFE, OUT, FOUL, TIME and SHUT THE F#@K UP AND GET BACK IN THE DUGOUT!!!
dash_riprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
inventor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzyfeller
Quote:

Is it too bulky?
Too complicated?
It sure looks BULKY...wrist band or not...the mask goes to the left hand and with that thing bouncing around off the wrist...while carrying the mask...I DON'T SEE IT!

Inventor should think SMALLER and more along the size of the current indicators!

Nothing bigger than a peanut cell phone!

Obviously the technology is there to do it!

But...I think I'll side with the old school "wheel and deal" indicator...I can't see this new toy being anywhere reasonably priced...or for that matter...tough enough to be dropped on the pavement several times too boot!

Scuzz
I appreciate your feedback.

You guys are right, we havn't had the help of any umpires in the design, that is why I am posting the idea to umpires all over.

The more feedback I can get the more usefull this product will be on the field.
inventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #9
Ozzy
All-Star Crew Chief

Ozzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock
I would buy it if it had 2 additional features:

1. A laser pointer that I could use to ZAP runners out or back to a base

2. A programmed loudspeaker, where all I had to do was push one of 7 buttons and it would blast STRIKE, BALL, SAFE, OUT, FOUL, TIME and SHUT THE F#@K UP AND GET BACK IN THE DUGOUT!!!
YESSSSSSSSSS! I love the last feature!

Ozzy
Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
DelawareBlue
Rookie

DelawareBlue is just getting started
Default Re: Digital Umpire Clicker/Indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel
The INDICATORS we prefer to use are designed to be small and flat so they can be easilly held under and only by the left thumb while we need the rest of the left hand and fingers to point and signal. We also prefer to drop the indicator into a pocket when not in use.
You'd probably give yourself a concussion trying to pull your mask off with that thing in your left hand...
DelawareBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #11
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Quote:
....You guys are right, we haven't had the help of any umpires in the design, .....
That is like designing surgical instruments without the advice of a doctor.

We can all use a device that detects when coaches are lying to us. I would buy that! Why not dump your clicker in trash and go and invent that one instead.
Unread 02-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
inventor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel
Quote:
....You guys are right, we haven't had the help of any umpires in the design, .....
That is like designing surgical instruments without the advice of a doctor.

We can all use a device that detects when coaches are lying to us. I would buy that! Why not dump your clicker in trash and go and invent that one instead.
I thought umpires like to use the term Indicator instead of "clicker"?

Also: The INDICATOR is still in it's design stage, which means there can still be changes made to it...
Unread 02-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
BrianC14
All-Star Crew Chief

BrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to all

Quote:
And it will also be on shelves the fall after that, and the fall after that, and the fall after that....

Quote:
You guys are right, we havn't had the help of any umpires in the design, that is why I am posting the idea to umpires all over.
I've got to ask the obvious question here, then: you designed a product, and you (claim) to have a provisional patent... .without the consultation and/or input of the intended users?

Please tell me that this is from "The Onion", then?

On the upside, you might be able to market this device to XBox users.
BrianC14 is offline   Reply With Quote