Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Newbies (NO flaming allowed!)

Unread 03-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
lockdown199
Cadet
No Avatar

lockdown199 is just getting started
Default Uniform Purchase 1 or 2 sets?

This is my 1st year umping and I recently purchased all my equipment. I have 1 short sleeve shirt 1 long sleeve 1 pair of pants. Should I have purchased 2 of each?
lockdown199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
BrianC14
All-Star Crew Chief

BrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to all
Default Re: Uniform Purchase 1 or 2 sets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown199 View Post
This is my 1st year umping and I recently purchased all my equipment. I have 1 short sleeve shirt 1 long sleeve 1 pair of pants. Should I have purchased 2 of each?
It depends more on how many games you plan to work, really.

If you are in a league where you'll work a lot of double headers (especially), then it's a good idea to have two shirts, two pants. Long sleeves - I'd stick with just one of those - if you're wearing a LS shirt, it's unlikely you're going to perspire much in that.

When it warms up, it's always better to be able to dump the sweaty stuff for a clean shirt and pants. Don't forget extra T-shirts, too.

Have a great season!
Unread 03-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
lockdown199
Cadet
No Avatar

Thank You.
Unread 03-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
ump_24
Crew Chief

ump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese's

First, welcome!

If you let us know how many games you plan on working, what the climate is like, etc we will be able to help you out to a huge extent!

Good luck and don't suck
ump_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
lockdown199
Cadet
No Avatar

I'm out of work at 3 o'clock so I'm hopeful I'll get a few HS games a week on top of LL and BR. I live in NY the great north east. Last weekend it was 65 and I was wearing shorts, today I had to get the snow off my car.

Today I did purchase 1 more short sleeved shirt and a pair of pants.
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
ump_24
Crew Chief

ump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese's

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown199 View Post
I'm out of work at 3 o'clock so I'm hopeful I'll get a few HS games a week on top of LL and BR. I live in NY the great north east. Last weekend it was 65 and I was wearing shorts, today I had to get the snow off my car.

Today I did purchase 1 more short sleeved shirt and a pair of pants.
You should be good to go then as far as official uniform.

What you should focus on now is building your under garment collection - the stuff you wear under the official uni. Remember a good umpire is prepared and never effected by the elements.

As someone like Finnerty can attest to, I am well versed in this area and can offer any help you need.
ump_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
renegadewolf
All-Star

renegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy night

Quote:
Originally Posted by ump_24 View Post
What you should focus on now is building your under garment collection - the stuff you wear under the official uni. Remember a good umpire is prepared and never effected by the elements.
As I found out early on last year, a good umpires jacket in invaluable. Mine is somewhat water resistant, keeps me dry for a good while in light rain, it's also handy on those night time double headers where the temperature drops a few degrees when the sun goes down, or early morning games.
Unread 03-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
mt 73
Crew Chief
No Avatar

mt 73 is a pillar in this communitymt 73 is a pillar in this communitymt 73 is a pillar in this communitymt 73 is a pillar in this communitymt 73 is a pillar in this communitymt 73 is a pillar in this communitymt 73 is a pillar in this communitymt 73 is a pillar in this communitymt 73 is a pillar in this community

My first year was with an organization that is run by a former Marine.
We had to buy way too many uniforms--plate and base.
I umpire a lot of games--mainly by freelancing for cash games--and have paired things down.
#1 is to wear under armor tee shirts to deal with sweat.
I have two of these.
Two pair of Gerry Davis combo pants, two short sleeve shirts (one size larger for use with the inside chest protector) and one jacket ( also one size larger.)
One pair of New balance 950 plate shoe ( light enough to be used in softball as well as baseball) and a pair of black sneakers for use on the bases.
Works from March to October.
Last year I bought 3 more short sleeve shirts( I like Smitty's the best) so as not to have to do so much laundry during the busy summer season.
mt 73 is offline   Reply With Quote