Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Ejections

Unread 05-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
Roger
Rookie
No Avatar

Roger is just getting started
Default "You can't eject me without a warning!"

PONY Mustang Division. Tournament. I'm BU. Partner is the only female umpire in our association. VM is giving her cr@p about her stike zone almost from the first pitch. Between innings, I quitely give her the advice I have received here: "First chirp, put up your hand and say, 'that's enough coach.' Next time, dump him." She doesn't take the advice.

Third inning, there is a run down between 3rd and home. Runner dives for 3rd base and gets a hand on it. Tag comes down on his back a split second too late in my judgment. SAFE! VM goes ballistic. "OMG! Unbelievable! etc. etc." I put up my hand and say, "That's enough, coach. That's a warning."

A couple plays later R3 scores and I trot back to A. Loudly, so all his players (and fans) can hear, VM says, "Let's go get the fourth out. Blue gave 'em that one." I call time, point at VM and say, "Coach, you are ejected from the game," and signal the ejection.

Now VM thinks he's Joe Mikulik and starts making a scene. "I can't believe it. That was pathetic. You can't eject me without a warning."

"I did warn you."

"That wasn't a warning. This isn't over. I'm going to the league coordinator right now. I'll be back. This isn't over."

So he leaves and I think that's the end of it. Fifteen minutes later he comes back. He stays outside the fence, but is talking to players, coaches and fans. I didn't see him at first as the stands are now full of players and fans arriving for the next game in a DH. PU calls time and comes over to me and says, "He's back and he's out there running his mouth off about the situation. Should I call a forfeit since he hasn't left?"

I say, "Not yet." I go to the nearest AC and ask, "Who's the acting manager?" He says, "That would be me." I tell him, "The ejected manager must leave immediately. The game will not resume until he is gone. If he does not leave immediately, you will forfeit the game." AC has him out of there within one minute. No more problems or complaints for the rest of that game and none in the second game.

After the second game, I ran into the league coordinator and asked him, "I know you got an ear full from VM about the ejection; do you need to ask me anything?" His answer, "No. Besides the VM, I had three other witnesses who told me what happened. And here's what I told VM: 'The umpires should not give you a warning for that stuff. They should just eject you. If you did get a warning and still got ejected, then that's too bad. You're suspended from the next game and it will be best if you just let it go.'"

I don't remember the final score, but VM's team won by about four runs.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
Welpe
Regular

Welpe is just getting started

Nice to see the coordinator fully backing you.

Sheesh even when you give them a warning, they want another one. Reminds me of the children's book, "When You Give a Mouse a Cookie."

~ Bill Veeck
Welpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
mfs914
Cadet

mfs914 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to mfs914

i had a situation in a jv game a few years ago, where the coach was arguing every close call. He came out one time and i told him that was enough, if he didnt stop he would be ejected. His reply...."I can yell all i want as long as i dont swear i can say anything else" i laughed and turned my back to go back to my position and he says "o your going to walk away and not even let me have my say" I simply said you arnt worth my time.

Looking back at it i probably didnt handle it the best, but this was years ago and i was still a rookie ump. I just found it funny that he though he was aloud to yell and scream all he wanted.
mfs914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
JBowling
Veteran

JBowling is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfs914
i had a situation in a jv game a few years ago, where the coach was arguing every close call. He came out one time and i told him that was enough, if he didnt stop he would be ejected. His reply...."I can yell all i want as long as i dont swear i can say anything else" i laughed and turned my back to go back to my position and he says "o your going to walk away and not even let me have my say" I simply said you arnt worth my time.

Looking back at it i probably didnt handle it the best, but this was years ago and i was still a rookie ump. I just found it funny that he though he was aloud to yell and scream all he wanted.
I say let 'em come out and yell and scream all they want, let them make themselves look like a royal a$$. . . an ejection is always the final say and it's the only thing the umpire really has to say.
JBowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
SJC_Blue
Regular

SJC_Blue is just getting started

Just my two cents, but I would avoid the phrase "forfeit the game" and replace it with phrase "suspend the game". This way the league officials or tournament director can decide the outcome of the game based on the coach ejecting himself and then acting like an a$$.
SJC_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
BigUmp56
All-Star

BigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud of

Quote:
His reply...."I can yell all i want as long as i dont swear i can say anything else"

My reply, "You're gone!"

Tim.
BigUmp56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #7
BrianC14
All-Star Crew Chief

BrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Quote:
His reply...."I can yell all i want as long as i dont swear i can say anything else"

My reply, "You're gone!"

Tim.
My reply: "Let's hear how you sound from inside your car. "
BrianC14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Stan W.
Regular

Stan W. is just getting started
Default my .02

Isnt MUSTANG level 9-10 year olds?...........What a maroon........some one needs to keep that coach on a short leash.....
Stan W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
Roger
Rookie
No Avatar

Default Re: my .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan W.
Isnt MUSTANG level 9-10 year olds?
Yes. And...

Bronco Level = 11-12
Pony Level = 13 -14
Colt Level = 15 - 16
Palamino Level = 17-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan W.
...........What a maroon........some one needs to keep that coach on a short leash.....
The partner I worked with last night told me that ejection has created a LOT of discussion. Everybody is talking about it. Because I usually work Bronco and Pony games (this was only my third Mustang game of the year), I was not familiar with this manager. Apparently, he behaves this way every game but has never been ejected. The other coaches and even his own fans are all glad he finally got tossed. Now that I know that, it explains why the coordinator was so quick to back me up. Everybody is tired of watching him rant at the umpires every game.
Unread 05-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
Roger
Rookie
No Avatar

Incidentally, a year ago I would have been just another one of those umpires letting this coach behave this way. I learned how to deal with it right here on this forum. I know there is more to learn, but it is a whole lot more fun umpiring when you finally realize you don't have to put up with this stuff and how easy it is to put a stop to it. As I said in the OP, there were absolutely no more problems or complaints for the rest of that game and none in the second game.
Unread 05-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
Welpe
Regular

Welpe is just getting started

Good job, Roger! It seems most youth leagues has that one coach that probably deserves to be ejected in every game and yet he isn't. When I started out doing LL, there was a Majors coach like that. Unfortunately I and none of my partners never ejected him and he was more than deserving. Oh to know then what I do now.

~ Bill Veeck
Welpe is offline   Reply With Quote