Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > Small Diamond

Unread 08-21-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shutout at Williamsport

Great game today with the pitcher from Connecticut throwing a no hitter complete game to advance his team to the next game...Kudos...He threw his last few pitches faster than his first and reached 72mph for the third strike to end the game with a total of, if I recall correctly, 12 or 13 Ks on the game...Kids got potential...

Aloha,
Mike

"I have never questioned the integrity of a baseball umpire...Their eyesight? Yes." Leo Durocher, Manager, Dodgers

Last edited by mturman; 08-21-2012 at 01:59 AM. Reason: typo
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shutout at Williamsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturman View Post
Great game today with the pitcher from Connecticut throwing a no hitter complete game to advance his team to the next game...Kudos...He threw his last few pitches faster than his first and reached 72mph for the third strike to end the game with a total of, if I recall correctly, 12 or 13 Ks on the game...Kids got potential...

Aloha,
Mike
Figures that would be the one game today that I didn't get to see!
1 Corinthians 1:18 - 1 Corinthians 2:2

The Message of the Cross
AugieDonatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 03:18 AM   #3
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

I am wishing that we get to see some of the games here but so far only have seen what is on ESPN Sports with the sports updates. AFN is usally good about getting us games but this just may not be high on their list. But it should be.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire

Last edited by heyblue26; 08-21-2012 at 07:41 AM.
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
NolaBlue77
Regular
No Avatar

NolaBlue77 has much to be proud ofNolaBlue77 has much to be proud ofNolaBlue77 has much to be proud ofNolaBlue77 has much to be proud ofNolaBlue77 has much to be proud ofNolaBlue77 has much to be proud of

Try ESPN3.com
NolaBlue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
eric0531
No Avatar

eric0531 is just getting started

Or try the WatchESPN app if you have a compatible device.
eric0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember seeing this many bad calls at first base ever. I can't believe how bad these calls were.

The Message of the Cross
Unread 08-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugieDonatelli View Post
I don't remember seeing this many bad calls at first base ever. I can't believe how bad these calls were.
Was watching the Mexico game yesterday...There were two video replay requests on the same runner in the same inning on two different plays...

I don't liek the idea of the umpire judgement coming under scrutiny in this fashion...Both were bangers...

Another video replay on another game was allowed to stand becuase they had no irrefutable evidence...

Not a fan of the IR...

Aloha,
Mike

"I have never questioned the integrity of a baseball umpire...Their eyesight? Yes." Leo Durocher, Manager, Dodgers
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 02:22 AM   #8
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Me either, but some of these guys are bad.
I mean, some are ok, but the ones that are bad are really really bad.

How do you miss calls that badly after your second or third game....of your life!?!?!
Unread 08-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #9
KenGibes
All-Star Crew Chief

KenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond repute

I hate instant replay. I always have. I don't like it in football, basketball, or baseball.

The umpires in Williamsport are now asking for replays on their own calls! I've seen two cases where the umpire went to the backstop to get a video replay call before the coach requested it. They indicated that it was an umpire-initiated review. WTF????!!!!

I've always thought that I might like to do a LLWS some day. I've done district, sectional, and state LL tournament games, including the plate for championship games. But now I don't think I would want to do games. They only really need one umpire on the field and the instant replay booth.
KenGibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #10
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturman View Post
Was watching the Mexico game yesterday...There were two video replay requests on the same runner in the same inning on two different plays...

I don't liek the idea of the umpire judgement coming under scrutiny in this fashion...Both were bangers...

Another video replay on another game was allowed to stand becuase they had no irrefutable evidence...

Not a fan of the IR...

Aloha,
Mike
I wasn't talking about bangers, they can go either way. I'm talking about the ones where the runner touches the base and the ball is still 3 feet from the glove and the umpire is calling the kid out. Several blatantly missed calls. I haven't made that many gross-miss bad calls at 1st base (from A) in a lifetime of umpiring.

The Message of the Cross
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
grayhawk
All-Star
No Avatar

grayhawk is a pillar in this communitygrayhawk is a pillar in this communitygrayhawk is a pillar in this communitygrayhawk is a pillar in this communitygrayhawk is a pillar in this communitygrayhawk is a pillar in this communitygrayhawk is a pillar in this communitygrayhawk is a pillar in this community

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugieDonatelli View Post
I wasn't talking about bangers, they can go either way. I'm talking about the ones where the runner touches the base and the ball is still 3 feet from the glove and the umpire is calling the kid out. Several blatantly missed calls. I haven't made that many gross-miss bad calls at 1st base (from A) in a lifetime of umpiring.
And there's no video evidence to prove otherwise!
grayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayhawk View Post
And there's no video evidence to prove otherwise!
Hahahaha. Good one there!

I watched the Texas/Tennessee game last night and if I'd had my PC close-by, I would have been on here ranting about the officials.

I mean, is this the best LL has to offer? I know the answer is "No" and that these guys just get the gig because of their connections, etc. but these kids deserve better than this.

Additionally, the replay/review process has GOT to be fixed. I mean come on! How many calls can you review? All of them?
Just put ball bags on the catchers so they can replace baseballs that go out of play, and let the folks behind the net make the rest of the calls.

Ugh.

I love watching the kids and how they play the game, but the officials that are as bad as these guys take away from the game IMO.

I know, I know, they're volunteers. SO WHAT.
Volunteering is not an excuse for being this bad. It's just not.

Not all of them are bad, but the ones that are bad are bad enough to drag the others down with them.

Suggestion: Once the games are televised, or at least, once they get to a certain point in the playoffs, get 'real' officials.

Go to the college association there locally and get 10-12 NCAA-trained officials and have them come out and call the games.

This way, we won't have to talk about the volunteer umpires and how, yes they may get some (many) of the calls wrong, but you know......they're volunteers......

Pay them so we can stop focusing on the crappy officiating and get to the game.

Please.
Unread 08-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

And before you guys start cracking on me about piling on these guys, please read my post carefully.

I know they're volunteers and that's great! I appreciate that they give of themselves to help the kids in their communities.
I know they are not all bad. There are quality guys out there too.
I got it.

The problem is that:
1. The kids deserver better than what they get at this level.
2. The viewing public deserves better for their cable TV dollar(s).
3. Biggest Point: They make the rest of us look bad by NEEDING to have so many calls reviewed and reversed.

It's almost as if they don't even try hard to get the calls right.