Go Back   Forums > The Gear... > Umpire Equipment

Unread 07-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #27
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All Star Shin Guards at Ump-Attire

Was working with a partner last week and he was using the Davies...Do they all have plastic clips? If so, his broke on a bounced ball...I never want a plastic clip...

Aloha,
Mike

CP = $180
SGs = $100
Basic Uniform (Pants, shirts, socks, belt, ball bags, accessories, cap, LU card and pen) = $150+
Shoes = $100
Annual Equipment / Uniform Updates = $100s
Training Resources = $100 minimum per year
Travel / Gas Expenses = $100s per year.
Concussion Potential = High

Game Fee = $40 average

Who says I do this for the money?
mturman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #28
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturman View Post
Was working with a partner last week and he was using the Davies...Do they all have plastic clips? If so, his broke on a bounced ball...I never want a plastic clip...

Aloha,
Mike
Mike have had my GD shins for a few years and yes they have plastic Clips at least the pair I purchased do.
I suppose that you could change them to metal clips. Never had a problem with them or ever had one break on me maybe just lucky.

I have taken some hits with a bounced ball but again like I said maybe just luck.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #29
thunderheads
All-Star

thunderheads is movin' on upthunderheads is movin' on up

Guys,
I've had the pleasure of wearing the new AllStar shins since June of the 2011 season, and all the way through till now. The DeltaFlex harness on the back is amazing! Take the time to adjust them to YOUR legs, you WON'T be dissapointed!

They stay in place for sure. They look bulky on, but your pants slip over them no problem. The inner padding comes out and is machine washable.

In a couple tournaments in the last month or so, I've taken two direct shots to the upper shin area and felt absolutely NOTHING while still getting "you ok blue?" from the batter and F2

Great shins!
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #30
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne37 View Post
If you never wore the Davis shins, don't complain about something easily replaced. Try the shins, then decide. To me shins were just shins until I purchaced the Davis shins. Will never go back to anything else.

With the lightweight plated shoes now, you can move better than ever before. Trust me on this one.
Appreciate the feedback...For some reason I have the new All Star SGs on my mind...I think I am going that route...

Aloha,
Mike

CP = $180
SGs = $100
Basic Uniform (Pants, shirts, socks, belt, ball bags, accessories, cap, LU card and pen) = $150+
Shoes = $100

Game Fee = $40 average

Unread 08-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #31
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radwaste50 View Post
Have used them since the start of this year. Comfortable and light, they fell very sturdy, havent taken a real hard shot (knock wood) but they feel like they'd hold up.
They come up high so I find i have to drop pants down put on the guards and pull up pants is the easiest donning method.
Since '09 season I've been using the Reebok 10K ice hockey shin guards, and while as bulky as the All-Stars, they provide the best protection I've ever worn, and I used to have the Douglas. They are surprisingly lightweight and easy to run in. They are designed to withstand slap shots and big hits from hockey sticks. You could take a whack at my lower legs with a baseball bat and I wouldn't feel anything. Easiest method of donning is the same as above. Put them on first and pull pants up over them.
AugieDonatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #32
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugieDonatelli View Post
Since '09 season I've been using the Reebok 10K ice hockey shin guards, and while as bulky as the All-Stars, they provide the best protection I've ever worn, and I used to have the Douglas. They are surprisingly lightweight and easy to run in. They are designed to withstand slap shots and big hits from hockey sticks. You could take a whack at my lower legs with a baseball bat and I wouldn't feel anything. Easiest method of donning is the same as above. Put them on first and pull pants up over them.
They doo look pretty good and appear to provide some good padding for safety...The price is certainly nice...

Aloha,
Mike

CP = $180
SGs = $100
Shoes = $100

Game Fee = $40 average

Unread 08-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #33
mrd11
No Avatar

mrd11 is just getting started

I too use hockey shin guards. Actually CCM Hockey referee shin guards- a little slimmer than the hockey player sg. Super light, one clip, and one velcro strap on each (that allows me to tighten or loosen on the spot). I added a protective piece over each "inside" ankle for ankle protection. Have used the original Douglas WV, as well as the Wilson WV Gray's (where I did love the ankle protection on each), but find the referee hockey sg more protective and much lighter. I believe the Davis is built with the same concept as the hockey sg. Found mine at Play it Again sports for $15.
mrd11 is offline   Reply With Quote