Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Rules

Unread 07-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
blue183
No Avatar

blue183 is just getting started
Default Dumbest Local Rule Modifications

Two Candidates:

1. - Local league, rec, 11U playing on a 50/70 field. Runner may lead off first base and third base, but may not leave the 2nd base bag until the ball leaves the pitcher's hand.

2. Local Tournament - same ages, same field size. No runners are permitted to lead.

Huh?

Can't we just play baseball?
blue183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
semper_fi_72
Veteran Crew Chief

semper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dumbest Local Rule Modifications

Sometimes these rules remind me about how we played stick ball and curb ball when I was growing up in the streets of NYC.
semper_fi_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
socal lurker
Veteran
No Avatar

socal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue183 View Post
Two Candidates:

1. - Local league, rec, 11U playing on a 50/70 field. Runner may lead off first base and third base, but may not leave the 2nd base bag until the ball leaves the pitcher's hand.

2. Local Tournament - same ages, same field size. No runners are permitted to lead.

Huh?

Usually I can figure out what a rule is trying to accomplish, but I'm bewildered by this one. Don't want pitchers to have to make moves to 2nd?!? Just plain wierd.
socal lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Pete_Booth
Crew Chief

Pete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond reputePete_Booth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Two Candidates:

Huh?

I do not care what the local rules are as long as they are spelled out. While the aforementioned rules appear strange they are clearly spelled out. There are rule-book rules that I pesonally do not agree with but they didn't ask for my opinion.

It's simple if you have a problem or do not like "house" rules then simply refuse the assignment. Most leagues have them in one form or another.

Pete Booth
Pete_Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
waltjp
Rookie

waltjp is just getting started

Quote:
Two Candidates:

Huh?

Wasn't the point of moving to 50/70 fields to allow the kids to play "real" baseball?
waltjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
iamdabobo
Regular

iamdabobo enjoys spam and reese'siamdabobo enjoys spam and reese'siamdabobo enjoys spam and reese'siamdabobo enjoys spam and reese'siamdabobo enjoys spam and reese's

Many ages: if a base becomes dislodged, all play continuing toward that base is dead, but play beyond the base continues.

10U: runner leaving early is out, no pitch. Okay, I know this is technically a PONY interpretation, but I think it's insane that the batter is punished for the actions of the runner. I took away a home run because of this.

10U: Pitcher cannot receive the ball on the rubber. WTF?

Any age: the damn must slide rule. Yeah, sure, safety and all, but saying "must slide on a close play" doesn't work when, you know, he's 10 feet away from the base... This is one that the TDs really get on our asses about too. Avoid contact is already in the rules, and makes way more sense; just use it. (only exception i'm okay with: NFHS force play slide rule)

Any age: X-run rule. "Mister Tournament director, so you're telling me that the team that just scored 6 runs is supposed to tell me that they scored X runs so that we can voluntarily end the inning? Yeah. Okay. Good luck with that"

Bronco/PONY: Lead lines. (runner can't cross line about 10-ish feet past each base until the pitch passes the plate). Yeah, okay, I'll go ahead and stare at the runners' feet while I'm umpiring...

Bronco/PONY: Balk warnings. Just advance the damn runners; they'll learn faster that way. And for pete's sake, don't do the "one warning per pitcher" ordeal; I do NOT want to remember/write that down too...

Any age: "no free home." So if the ball gets caught in the backstop, you can steal any base except home? wtf? If the ball's stuck in the backstop on a pitch, you should ALREADY BE home--instead, you punish the runner on third for a wild pitch. Wtf. I don't understand why coaches like this one so much.

The overarching theme here is that organizations who call themselves PONY organizations (they aren't; they just borrow the rules) make up nonsense rules for little kids, when they'd just be MUCH BETTER OFF using little league rules, which I bug them EVERY YEAR to do.

Yeah, I'm not jaded or anything.
Unread 07-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=iamdabobo;142681]slide rule)

The overarching theme here is that organizations who call themselves PONY organizations (they aren't; they just borrow the rules) make up nonsense rules for little kids, when they'd just be MUCH BETTER OFF using little league rules, which I bug them EVERY YEAR to do.

Yes I see this all the time and at some really lower levels I may understand fully but as the youth move up in a higher level of baseball let them play the game as it is to be played. Also here the youth telling parents Mom we didn't play by those rules when we where in caliornia. Yes and Semper Fi for those that did play stick ball we did have our rules but It was pure fun.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #8
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

One of our youth pony leagues (Mustang) adopted a stupid rule one season that essentially stated that all runners must slide at home...We voiced our concern over the idiocy of this rule but was not heeded at all...We were told it's a safety issue...

To make a point one of our guys really took it to the extreme (after which the rule was immediately dropped)...

Bases loaded, batter walks and the runner from third comes to the plate to score...At which time our guy called the runner out for not sliding

Talk about a sh-t storm...He had the rule with him in his pocket expecting it and showed it to them and shared with them the stupidty of the rule...The very rule that the coaches all agreed too...They got the message...Make stupid rules and you get stupid results...

At our next meeting we never laughed so hard...

Aloha,
Mike

Coach - Blue, you are cheating my boys...
Umpire - Coach, I tried cheating for them but damned if they don't keep screwing it up with all of their errors!
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 02:30 AM   #9
lawump1
Veteran

lawump1 is a pillar in this communitylawump1 is a pillar in this communitylawump1 is a pillar in this communitylawump1 is a pillar in this communitylawump1 is a pillar in this communitylawump1 is a pillar in this communitylawump1 is a pillar in this communitylawump1 is a pillar in this communitylawump1 is a pillar in this community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturman View Post
One of our youth pony leagues (Mustang) adopted a stupid rule one season that essentially stated that all runners must slide at home...We voiced our concern over the idiocy of this rule but was not heeded at all...We were told it's a safety issue...

To make a point one of our guys really took it to the extreme (after which the rule was immediately dropped)...

Bases loaded, batter walks and the runner from third comes to the plate to score...At which time our guy called the runner out for not sliding

Talk about a sh-t storm...He had the rule with him in his pocket expecting it and showed it to them and shared with them the stupidty of the rule...The very rule that the coaches all agreed too...They got the message...Make stupid rules and you get stupid results...

Aloha,
Mike
I know I always preach on these boards and to others, "never take the sh_tty end of the stick." But, this may be the greatest "taking of the sh_tty end of the stick" I've ever read about.
Unread 07-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump1 View Post
I know I always preach on these boards and to others, "never take the sh_tty end of the stick." But, this may be the greatest "taking of the sh_tty end of the stick" I've ever read about.
It was a moment we will never forget...In some fashion talks about the stupidity of what is done locally always brings us back to this...

Aloha,
Mike

Coach - Blue, you are cheating my boys...
Umpire - Coach, I tried cheating for them but damned if they don't keep screwing it up with all of their errors!
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
iamdabobo
Regular

iamdabobo enjoys spam and reese'siamdabobo enjoys spam and reese'siamdabobo enjoys spam and reese'siamdabobo enjoys spam and reese'siamdabobo enjoys spam and reese's

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyblue26 View Post
Yes I see this all the time and at some really lower levels I may understand fully but as the youth move up in a higher level of baseball let them play the game as it is to be played
I entirely agree. But if they already have their minds set to play non-baseball, don't reinvent the wheel. Especially at 9/10, where so few leagues play "real baseball," because honestly, that'd be a pretty big mess for in-house ball.
Unread 07-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #12
cbfoulds
Veteran

cbfoulds is a jewel in the roughcbfoulds is a jewel in the roughcbfoulds is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturman View Post

Aloha,
Mike
A wise man once suggested that the best way to kill a stupid rule was not to ignore it, but to enforce the hell out of it. This is an excellent example of both the theory and application of that proposition.
cbfoulds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #13
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds View Post
A wise man once suggested that the best way to kill a stupid rule was not to ignore it, but to enforce the hell out of it. This is an excellent example of both the theory and application of that proposition.
You have really made a very good point here and stated well as Mike also had stated in his post. Yes and when the coaches complain you can show them the rule in black and white. Just maybe they will all get together and change the rule. Thanks.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote