Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Ejections

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling with a weak partner

I work at a tounament park where we are required to wear either black or MLB light blue shirts. When it is very hot most guys will want to go with the light blue shirts to feel cooler. I have found the out that the color of the shirt has very little to do with how cool you feel.

I learned about 10 years ago that a very large component of how cool you feel has more to do with the undershirt you wear. Whatever is closest to your skin makes the difference. If you go with a traditional cotton tee shirt (which is much lower in cost than the synthetics) you will get it all soaked with sweat that will never go away and you will feel drenched and overheated by the time the game is over.

In my opinion, you can feel the coolest in very hot weather wearing the sleeveless, skin-tight, undershirts made of the synthetic fibers that wick away perspiration. Underarmor and MacDavid are two of several manufacturers of these kinds of shirts. They are at least twice as expensive than cotton tee shirts, but they are well worth it. The open armpits (sleeveless shirt) allows for a tremendous amount of your body heat to escape faster. The skin-tight shirt captures your perspirtaion immediately and wicks it so it can evaporate as quickly as possible. The evaporation process actually takes heat energy out of your body and you feel a coolness as it happens.

There is a buddy of mine who has always worn a traditional cotton tee for all of the 20 years we have worked games together. I went to the synthetics about 10 years ago. Every time I would see him drenched with sweat after a game I would try to convinve him to get rid of those cotton shirts. These are the blue tees we always get to wear at clinics, he would love wearing them under his umpire gear. Even our association would make umpire these cotton tees with our association emblem on them and give them out every other year.

I would ask him why he was OK with being so wet with sweat when he didn't have to. He would say, "I don't mind it. When I'm all sweated up like this it makes me feel accomplished like I just worked hard and put in a tough game! It feels OK to me." (?Huh?)

Finally this year, our association made up tee shirts with the emblem printed on a synthetic type of navy blue material. It was a short sleeved crew neck type of tee shirt. But it was made from a wicking fiber! The other day when I was working with my buddy he was wearing that new shirt. I said, "Hey how do you like wearing that new shirt under your gear?" Well he went on and on about how much of a difference this shirt makes and how it is so much cooler wearing it. I said, "WTF!!! You always told me you liked the feeling of being all sweated up!" He said, "Well I have to admit that was not really true. I was just too cheap to buy these synthetic shirts. I had all those free shirts so I was't going to go buy another one and not use the free ones. So I made up that story. But now that I got this one for free and used it I really see what you were talking about all these years. They are really great!"
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote