Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > Small Diamond

Unread 06-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #27
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LL Minors: 5 run limit, unlimited last inning?

What do you mean I have to work hard to be successful?

When did this happen?

Growing up, all I had to do was show up and I got to bat, I got to play 2B, and I got a trophy!

WHERE'S MY DAMN TROPHY?!?!?!?!?
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #28
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunyankee View Post
I see my reputation precedes me.

Whatever. I'm not saying that the smaller, less-talented kids should be omitted from our thoughts, I'm just saying that the playing field is not level in life, why do we artificially level it when the kids are growing up?

THis is why we have so many 'adult adolescents' in the country and why finding quality employees is so difficult
Adversity is the stone on which I sharpen my sword...

Without winning, kids cannot learn grace in such circumstances or how to recognize bad sportsmanship...

Without losing, kids will not learn the benefit of rising up to challenges, or how to pick themselves up after defeat...If Edison quite after his first failure, as opposed to failing literally thousands of times, the light bulb would not be credited to him...

While I don't encourage my kids to fail in anything, they do because it's nature...I am there as the parent to help them rise, learn and move on...

Too many organizations are trying to supplement bad parenting nowadays...

Aloha,
Mike

CP = $180
SGs = $100
Basic Uniform (Pants, shirts, socks, belt, ball bags, accessories, cap, LU card and pen) = $150+
Shoes = $100
Annual Equipment / Uniform Updates = $100s
Training Resources = $100 minimum per year
Travel / Gas Expenses = $100s per year.
Concussion Potential = High

Game Fee = $40 average

Who says I do this for the money?
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #29
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Bad parenting, or complete lack of parenting?

It's not hard to 'parent' when there's no adversity.

I agree with your post 100%.

If the kids fail, they learn to deal with failure.
If they never fail because we protect them from any situation in which it's a possibility, they have no idea how to function once the safety net is removed.
Unread 06-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #30
Davidsb63
Rookie

Davidsb63 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturman View Post
Without winning, kids cannot learn grace in such circumstances or how to recognize bad sportsmanship...

Without losing, kids will not learn the benefit of rising up to challenges, or how to pick themselves up after defeat...If Edison quite after his first failure, as opposed to failing literally thousands of times, the light bulb would not be credited to him...

While I don't encourage my kids to fail in anything, they do because it's nature...I am there as the parent to help them rise, learn and move on...
Well put!!!
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #31
mattinva
Cadet
No Avatar

mattinva is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Ives View Post
Let's clear up one thing. It is NOT an unlimited last inning. The LL rule removes the 5 run max but does NOT remove the "once through the order" limit.

Note that in LL minors everyone present is in the order.

I do mot think we have the rule where you are only allowed once through the lineup except in tball. Don't have my rulebook with me but I thought this was a local bylaw and not a LL rule. In tball, we used to joke that the team with the most players present wins.
mattinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #32
mmp1
Rookie
No Avatar

mmp1 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinva View Post
I do mot think we have the rule where you are only allowed once through the lineup except in tball. Don't have my rulebook with me but I thought this was a local bylaw and not a LL rule. In tball, we used to joke that the team with the most players present wins.
This is covered in Little League rule 5.07 and the batting through the order provision applies up through Minors. It is my experience that many leagues ignore this rule in the "open" inning.
5.07 -- When three offensive players are legally put out, that team takes the field and the opposing team becomes the offensive team (side retired). (Minor League: The side is retired when three offensive players are legally put out, or when all players on the roster have batted one time in the half-inning; or when the offensive team scores five (5) runs. (OPTION: The local league board of directors may suspend the five-run rule on the last half-inning for either team.)
mmp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 04:19 AM   #33
llump24

llump24 is just getting started

I had rule 5.07 invoked on me today... but my follow-up question, who invokes what the last inning is? Obviously I know the 6th is the end anyways... my situation, 5th inning, visitors up 16-5. I called the 5 run limit on the visiting team since we weren't in the 6th. Home team comes up to bat and goes 2 outs, single, and 3rd out. They are essentially ten-run ruled at that point and ball game over.

Good call? Bad call? and why?
llump24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #34
nopachunts
Crew Chief

nopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by llump24 View Post
I had rule 5.07 invoked on me today... but my follow-up question, who invokes what the last inning is? Obviously I know the 6th is the end anyways... my situation, 5th inning, visitors up 16-5. I called the 5 run limit on the visiting team since we weren't in the 6th. Home team comes up to bat and goes 2 outs, single, and 3rd out. They are essentially ten-run ruled at that point and ball game over.

Good call? Bad call? and why?
Good call. Minor league is supposed to be more a training league for Majors. The way the rule is written, the game is not played with a time limit. If you are playing a time limit game, you don't know when the last inning will be.

In the two local LL that I work, both have the 5 run each half inning for the entire game. In Junior League, they have a 4 or 5 run per half inning rule for the first four innings. After 4, it's whatever the teams can get.
nopachunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #35
pmylumpire13
Veteran Crew Chief
No Avatar

pmylumpire13 has a reputation beyond reputepmylumpire13 has a reputation beyond reputepmylumpire13 has a reputation beyond reputepmylumpire13 has a reputation beyond reputepmylumpire13 has a reputation beyond reputepmylumpire13 has a reputation beyond reputepmylumpire13 has a reputation beyond reputepmylumpire13 has a reputation beyond reputepmylumpire13 has a reputation beyond reputepmylumpire13 has a reputation beyond reputepmylumpire13 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Ives View Post
1) Check your math.

2) Minors is for training, not winning. Let them play.
I agree. The "competitive level" is Majors (9 - 12).
pmylumpire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #36
nopachunts
Crew Chief

nopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond repute
Default LL Minors: 5 run limit, unlimited last inning?

TOTALLY agree with Rich that Minors LL is for training and the emphasis shouldn't be on winning. Problem is that you have coaches that are moving into pitched ball for the first time and they think they are Sparky Anderson, Billy Martin, Ron Washington, you get the picture. Mom and Dad think their son/daughter is the greatest think since sliced bread and they should be playing ALL the time.

As the players get older, the problems with the parents also diminish. After my first year of coaching T-Ball, I learned quickly to draft parents as much as players.
nopachunts is offline   Reply With Quote