Go Back   Forums > The Gear... > Umpire Equipment

Unread 05-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
bigblue2u
Veteran
No Avatar

bigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant future
Default Richardson Plate Hat

I have about had it with the wool Richardson plate hat. I used to use New Era until they stopped making umpire caps. The problem with the Richardson wool is that I constantly get sweat stains when working in warm weather. I know the stains can be eliminated by spraying with water. But, the stains show up during the game. Anyone else having this problem?
Anybody know of a suitable replacement?
Thanks
bigblue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #2
johnnyg08
All-Star
No Avatar

johnnyg08 is movin' on upjohnnyg08 is movin' on up
Default Re: Richardson Plate Hat

New caps, get a few of them and clean them so you can rotate them.

I just cleaned a couple of my Richardson caps.

Febreeze and lysol them after your games. The stains are salt from your body, so you have to get the salt out of the caps.
johnnyg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Scuzzyfeller
Veteran

Scuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy nightScuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy nightScuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy nightScuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy nightScuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy nightScuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy night
Default Re: Richardson Plate Hat [ALL HATS]

In agreement with Johnny...

Get more than one cap and rotate them regularly...cap 1 for game one...cap 2 for game 2...

Clean the damn things routinely...they'll be fine...

Keep a separate cloth with your gear...something NOT used for anything else you in your gear bag...

Spray some water of mild cleanser [no soapy cleanser] on the inside and wipe it down...
I use a soft brush...actually use a small shoe brush so as not to tear up the cap fabric...
and rub/scrub lightly after spraying the cap down...

Spray some Lysol and Frebreze them...

Cleaned and dry by the time I get it home...

They'll be fine and last as long as you normally would get from the old New Era's...

Scuzz
Unread 05-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
scrounge
Regular
No Avatar

scrounge is a name known to allscrounge is a name known to allscrounge is a name known to allscrounge is a name known to allscrounge is a name known to allscrounge is a name known to all

Agree with the multiple cap....also, you could get one of those plastic cap cages. Put the cap in and pop it into the washer - don't have to worry about it losing its shape. Also useful for storage. They run about $10.
scrounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Scuzzyfeller
Veteran

Scuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy nightScuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy nightScuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy nightScuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy nightScuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy nightScuzzyfeller is a beacon of light on a stormy night

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Agree with the multiple cap....also, you could get one of those plastic cap cages. Put the cap in and pop it into the washer - don't have to worry about it losing its shape. Also useful for storage. They run about $10.
My only concern with the "cap caddy" and washing the caps are that you can only do that so many times before it's just too much for the bill of the cap to hold up any more...I might do this once a season...more as a "re-vitalizing" it so to speak...

You can fight the sagging cap brim by STARCHING the hell out of it and ironing it...but probably not the best way around it...

K.I.S.S...Keep It Simple Stupid works for most of us...jump on the quick clean after the game thing for a little while...see how it goes...and hey...report back to us and let us know how it's working out...

Scuzz
Unread 05-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute

You guys don't put the cap caddy in the washing machine to you?

I would think the spin cycle would tear it up.

Do you use the dishwasher? Not an option at my house according to my wife!
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
scrounge
Regular
No Avatar

scrounge is a name known to allscrounge is a name known to allscrounge is a name known to allscrounge is a name known to allscrounge is a name known to allscrounge is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunyankee View Post
You guys don't put the cap caddy in the washing machine to you?

I would think the spin cycle would tear it up.

Do you use the dishwasher? Not an option at my house according to my wife!
Yea, it doesn't seem too bad at all. However, we have a front-loading washer so that may be easier on it than a top-loader. It's not something I do all that often, but if there are visible salt stains I gotta.
scrounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

I keep 4 hats in rotation but when I clean them I use the cap buddy in my sink with the hose and very hot water...No soap...I just thorougly saturate it inside and out to ensure that the sweat and salt is out of it...Let it dry on a window sill and I am ready to roll...

Aloha,
Mike

CP = $180
SGs = $100
Basic Uniform (Pants, shirts, socks, belt, ball bags, accessories, cap, LU card and pen) = $150+
Shoes = $100
Annual Equipment / Uniform Updates = $100s
Training Resources = $100 minimum per year
Travel / Gas Expenses = $100s per year.
Concussion Potential = High

Game Fee = $40 average

Who says I do this for the money?
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I will likely try the sink method. I have many hats (more than 10), so not many of them have large sweat stains, but washing them by hand (without the cap buddy) makes them lose their shape rather quickly I've found.
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturman View Post
I keep 4 hats in rotation but when I clean them I use the cap buddy in my sink with the hose and very hot water...No soap...I just thorougly saturate it inside and out to ensure that the sweat and salt is out of it...Let it dry on a window sill and I am ready to roll...

Aloha,
Mike
Forgot to add...Every so often I will lightly spray a soft coat of spray on starch on the hat after washing it...While it dries, the starch will help it keep a very nice shape...

Aloha,
Mike

CP = $180
SGs = $100
Basic Uniform (Pants, shirts, socks, belt, ball bags, accessories, cap, LU card and pen) = $150+
Shoes = $100
Annual Equipment / Uniform Updates = $100s
Training Resources = $100 minimum per year
Travel / Gas Expenses = $100s per year.
Concussion Potential = High

Game Fee = $40 average

Who says I do this for the money?
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #11
Majordave
Veteran

Majordave is a name known to allMajordave is a name known to allMajordave is a name known to allMajordave is a name known to allMajordave is a name known to allMajordave is a name known to all

I just throw them in washer on dark colors cycle, cold water wash and rinse, with purex no scent, no color laundry soap along with my other umpire unmentionables (tights, socks, shirts, sometimes pants, jock, undershirts). I don't put the hats or other black items or pants in dryer. I just shape with my hand and let them air dry on top of the dryer. I am a creaser of the hat with a steam iron and a pillow case, light touch on the crease front and back, two directions and they still look very good. I have done this more than a dozen times over the last few seasons, multiple times this season so far and they look great (IMHO). My CBUA hats, (that I wear the most. (two of them-six stitch on bases and plate) are from 2008 and 2009. Will probably buy a new one next season just because.

My two cents..........
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #12
smithma89
Rookie

smithma89 enjoys it when you click on his icon

I sweat pretty bad and have been very successful with spraying the hat down with Febreeze to remove the sweat stains.
smithma89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
bigblue2u
Veteran
No Avatar

bigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant future

Hi Guys:
Thanks for the input.
bigblue2u is offline   Reply With Quote