Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Mechanics

Unread 05-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #27
wayne37
Banned
Veteran
No Avatar

wayne37 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Re: Setting Up in the Slot - Position Relative to Catcher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugieDonatelli View Post
Uh, okay what Bud? You want to go at it again?
Nothing. Just thinking out loud. No need to be abusive.
wayne37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #28
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne37 View Post
Nothing. Just thinking out loud. No need to be abusive.
Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to post your out loud thoughts. What could you have possibly been thinking out loud about that would lead you to make a non-responsive remark like that? Are you doubting the veracity of which I speak? I don't like that, it's not nice. When you say, "Uh, okay," it implies that you either feel I am not telling the truth, or you don't see how it is relevant to the situation. I just want you to clarify your vapid response to my perfectly good post, which actually added value to this thread, unlike yours. Thank you for participating.
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #29
trout78
All-Star

trout78 has much to be proud oftrout78 has much to be proud oftrout78 has much to be proud oftrout78 has much to be proud oftrout78 has much to be proud oftrout78 has much to be proud oftrout78 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Setting Up in the Slot - Position Relative to Catcher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugieDonatelli View Post
Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to post your out loud thoughts. What could you have possibly been thinking out loud about that would lead you to make a non-responsive remark like that? Are you doubting the veracity of which I speak? I don't like that, it's not nice. When you say, "Uh, okay," it implies that you either feel I am not telling the truth, or you don't see how it is relevant to the situation. I just want you to clarify your vapid response to my perfectly good post, which actually added value to this thread, unlike yours. Thank you for participating.
Extra credit for using the word "vapid" in contextually correct manner, Mr. Vocabulary!
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #30
trout78
All-Star

trout78 has much to be proud oftrout78 has much to be proud oftrout78 has much to be proud oftrout78 has much to be proud oftrout78 has much to be proud oftrout78 has much to be proud oftrout78 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunyankee View Post
Again, this attitude would not go over well with the coaches I'm around.

It's just my opinion though. No right or wrong, just my thinking.
Don't take this the wrong way, but "the coaches you're around" don't run the game. You do. If they have control issues, eff them. I go out of my way to be courteous and professional, but they have no illusion who's in charge. You did say LL, right? Most of these guys don't have a clue about HOW to coach, and you're letting them dictate how you officiate? Stop coddling them and pandering to ball park politics. What happens between foul poles and fences is OURS and OURS ALONE. As long as you know the rules and hustle and do your job. You said let them coach and you call. I agree, but when I'm taking a beating and they're not doing their job, I have to. Self preservation.
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #31
rightcalls56
No Avatar

rightcalls56 is just getting started

Maybe this is the wrong thing to do here, but when I see these catchers camping way outside and leaving me exposed, I take a bat and draw the catcher's box, which is 43" wide, 7" inside each batter's box inside line and tell them that they must have both feet within this box until the pitcher releases the ball - or with runners on it is a balk. Hearing the "B" word usually gets cooperation! This may be stretching it a bit, but like Augue says - it's my ass back there!

4.03 When the ball is put in play at the start of, or during a game, all fielders other than the catcher shall be on fair territory.

(a) The catcher shall station himself directly back of the plate. He may leave his position at any time to catch a pitch or make a play except that when the batter is being given an intentional base on balls, the catcher must stand with both feet within the lines of the catcher’s box until the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand.

PENALTY: Balk.
rightcalls56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #32
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightcalls56 View Post
Maybe this is the wrong thing to do here,[/i]
No maybe about it.

If you just talk to the catcher, without the threat, he'll move back in.
bobjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote