Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Situations

Unread 04-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
socal lurker
Veteran
No Avatar

socal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant future
Default Play at the plate

Trying to understand umpire perception:

Solo ump. Opposing team gets my runner from third into a pickle following a pitch. Runner slides into home barely reaching the edge of the plate [I'm assuming he did reach it as U did not say he didn't reach the plate, and I think this U would have if he hadn't]. The tag was a bit high, and a close question as to wheher he was under the tag or not. Dugout is fairly close, I had a fairly good angle, and with my coach-colored spectacles on, I thought he probably was under the tag, but with my trying-to-be-ojbective-and-not-a-daddy-coach-rat perspective, it was close enough I really thought the call could have gone either way -- if U missed it, it wasn't much of a miss and is just part of what happens in a game.

With that rambly introduction, here's my real question: do those of you who know far more than I think that the fact the runner barely got to the plate influences a call like that when the runner is coming in under a tag? As I watched, I was thinking it likely did -- he didn't come in as "hot" as he probably should have, so he wasn't well onto the plate as U was making his decision.

(I'm thinking fo this only from a coaching perspective, not a pick-on-the-umpire perspective -- as a coach, I try to teach kids (in any sport) that they don't want to make it easy for the umpire/referee to make an error. So I'm thinking that my advice to the player is that he needs to go in a bit harder (not maliscious hard) to make sure he gets well onto the plate and not give the U a cue that maybe he wasn't there. But maybe I'm overthinking this (ben known to happen), and I'm curious what umpires think. Thx much.)
socal lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Play at the plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal lurker View Post
Trying to understand umpire perception:

Solo ump. Opposing team gets my runner from third into a pickle following a pitch. Runner slides into home barely reaching the edge of the plate [I'm assuming he did reach it as U did not say he didn't reach the plate, and I think this U would have if he hadn't]. The tag was a bit high, and a close question as to wheher he was under the tag or not. Dugout is fairly close, I had a fairly good angle, and with my coach-colored spectacles on, I thought he probably was under the tag, but with my trying-to-be-ojbective-and-not-a-daddy-coach-rat perspective, it was close enough I really thought the call could have gone either way -- if U missed it, it wasn't much of a miss and is just part of what happens in a game.

With that rambly introduction, here's my real question: do those of you who know far more than I think that the fact the runner barely got to the plate influences a call like that when the runner is coming in under a tag? As I watched, I was thinking it likely did -- he didn't come in as "hot" as he probably should have, so he wasn't well onto the plate as U was making his decision.

(I'm thinking fo this only from a coaching perspective, not a pick-on-the-umpire perspective -- as a coach, I try to teach kids (in any sport) that they don't want to make it easy for the umpire/referee to make an error. So I'm thinking that my advice to the player is that he needs to go in a bit harder (not maliscious hard) to make sure he gets well onto the plate and not give the U a cue that maybe he wasn't there. But maybe I'm overthinking this (ben known to happen), and I'm curious what umpires think. Thx much.)
I get what you are saying...From the umpire perspective, and sharing for a coach, this is a coaching opportunity for both sides regardless of how the call went...

Offense - Need to hustle...No lollygagging...

Defense - Need to get that tag down, why give them room...

Aloha,
Mike

CP = $180
SGs = $100
Basic Uniform (Pants, shirts, socks, belt, ball bags, accessories, cap, LU card and pen) = $150+
Shoes = $100
Annual Equipment / Uniform Updates = $100s
Training Resources = $100 minimum per year
Travel / Gas Expenses = $100s per year.
Concussion Potential = High

Game Fee = $40 average

Who says I do this for the money?
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Assign
All-Star

Assign is movin' on upAssign is movin' on upAssign is movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal lurker View Post
barely got to the plate influences a call like that when the runner is coming in under a tag?
To be honest, that makes no difference to me, out is out and safe is safe regardless of the force of the slide.

However, since you noted your runner got himslef in a pickle...I assume you meant he made a base running blunder...if it is so close that I am not sure, i might rule in favor of the defense.

when in doubt, call him out
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
nopachunts
Crew Chief

nopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond reputenopachunts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Play at the plate

If the runner touched the plate before the tag, whether lazily or busting his chops, the important part is he touched the plate before the tag.
nopachunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

The runner is not required to end up over a certain part of the plate. If I see his front spike touch the plate (including that black part that is not really part of the plate, for all you anal purists out there ), and he beats the tag, he's safe.
Unread 04-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
Ozzy
Veteran Crew Chief

Ozzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugieDonatelli View Post
The runner is not required to end up over a certain part of the plate. If I see his front spike touch the plate (including that black part that is not really part of the plate, for all you anal purists out there ), and he beats the tag, he's safe.
The black? Are you kidding, Steve? The black isn't part of the plate - oh.... you said that already!!!

LOL! I have no argument here, just being a wisea$$!

Ozzy
Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #7
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute

So how close is close enough?
Unread 04-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #8
mcmahm34
Veteran

mcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese's

On a play like that or 99% of plays for that matter, I don't think quick enough to go with advantage/disadvantage. I'm trying to get the best angle and distance I can to clearly see what I'm about to call...which is mostly likely an out
mcmahm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #9
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post

LOL! I have no argument here, just being a wisea$$!
Hey, you gotta go with your strengths, Ozzy!
Unread 04-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
socal lurker
Veteran
No Avatar

socal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant future

thx all
socal lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:22 AM   #11
Ozzy
Veteran Crew Chief

Ozzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Ives View Post
So how close is close enough?
Close enough to make a Rat squeal!

Ozzy
Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote