Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > High School

Unread 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
Ozzy
Veteran Crew Chief

Ozzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Protest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmp1 View Post
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a protest? I thought the point was to get relief from the umpires misinterpreting the rules.
I do not disagree with your statement but in CT, we have to follow the rules laid down by the CIAC on this.

Ozzy
Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:49 AM   #15
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmp1 View Post
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a protest? I thought the point was to get relief from the umpires misinterpreting the rules.
Yes, hence the hulabaloo. Another example of dumbing down the rules in FED games by not allowing protests. All states should allow protests, and they should all be limited to before the next pitch.
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
DaveD10
Veteran

DaveD10 enjoys it when you click on his icon

Protest upheld. This conference ECC does allow protests.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/sport...#axzz1stpFrQ00
DaveD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #17
mcmahm34
Veteran

mcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese'smcmahm34 enjoys spam and reese's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveD10 View Post
Protest upheld. This conference ECC does allow protests.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/sport...#axzz1stpFrQ00
I hope someone posts the score of this game when it gets replayed. Just curious
mcmahm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
DaveD10
Veteran

DaveD10 enjoys it when you click on his icon

The game was played from point of protest - and guess what - team that protested won the game.

http://www.thewesterlysun.com/mystic...a4bcf887a.html
DaveD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

A good take away from this is (if you read the original news article link from the OP) it mentions that when the batter "called" for a timeout the base umpire raised his hands. When batters ask for time base umpires have no buisness reacting to it or granting the time. All actions of the batter are the responsibility of the plate umpire. The actions of the base umpire just muddied the waters in the situation.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #20
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad the protest committee ruled correctly, and made them resume play from the point of the protested balk call.
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #21
21ump
Rookie
No Avatar

21ump can only hope to improve

If the pitcher delivers after the balk, it is ruled no pitch. 6-2-4d-1.. I may be missing something here but I believe that if the batter is not granted time and steps out and the pitch is delivered it is a strike if in the zone and a second strike can be called. Thanks.
21ump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #22
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ump View Post
If the pitcher delivers after the balk, it is ruled no pitch. 6-2-4d-1.. I may be missing something here but I believe that if the batter is not granted time and steps out and the pitch is delivered it is a strike if in the zone and a second strike can be called. Thanks.
You are right that if the batter is not granted time and steps out and the pitch is delivered it is a strike if in the zone and a second strike can be called. However, if the pitcher has been called for a balk in FED rules, it is an immediate dead ball at the moment of the balk. So the batter's action would all be ignored and no strikes would be called.

If the pitcher's "balk" was caused by the batter stepping out without being granted time, then the umpire must call time. We nullify the balk and we do not penalize the batter with any strikes. This is a "scratch." We ask the pitcher and batter to start anew.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #23
21ump
Rookie
No Avatar

21ump can only hope to improve

Richard I was responding to HEYBLUE26's response: The Balk was enticed by batter and in FED if in the umpires's judgement, the pitcher balks because the batter has illegally stepped out of the box;
Penalty; the balk is nullified and the umpire shall call a strike on the batter for stepping out of the batter's box. If the pitcher delivers after the balk, it is ruled no pitch. 6-2-4d-1.

I don't see were this is a protested game either as Ozzy has said. BU didn't help the situation by calling time either.

I do agree with all you said. I was only responding to this. Thanks for the heads up Richard.
21ump is offline   Reply With Quote