Shirts, Pants, Hats, Cp, Etc...
gaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
sua_ddd
Cadet
No Avatar

sua_ddd is just getting started
Default Re: Taxes

If you deduct your umpiring expenses, you'd better be reporting some umpiring income as well....
sua_ddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
shickenbottom
Veteran

shickenbottom is a jewel in the roughshickenbottom is a jewel in the roughshickenbottom is a jewel in the roughshickenbottom is a jewel in the rough

Yes to offset the income. Remember to keep some type of receipt

You should probably do a Schedule C. and Classify it as a hobby.
shickenbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

Please do not take any tax advice from this website. Many umpires misunderstand the IRS rules that apply to us. I suggest you refer all tax questions connected to umpiring income and expenses to a CPA or tax professional.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
gaiden

gaiden is just getting started

it was just a general question..all my games are reported on my 1099's
gaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 04:33 AM   #6
yawetag
Crew Chief

yawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy night

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiden View Post
Do you Deduct expenses off your Taxes?

In general, yes.
yawetag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel View Post
Please do not take any tax advice from this website. Many umpires misunderstand the IRS rules that apply to us. I suggest you refer all tax questions connected to umpiring income and expenses to a CPA or tax professional.
Yes and the baseball rules are just as confusing as the IRS Tax Laws But Take Richards advice.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post

Re: Taxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiden
Do you Deduct expenses off your Taxes?

In general, yes.
Actually, in general, no.

This is what I mean. DO NOT take any tax advice from this website.

The IRS has very strict rules about "work" related clothing deductions. i.e. Just because a lawyer is required to wear a suit to court does not mean he could deduct the cost and cleaning expenses for those suits since he could wear those suits other times even when he is not appearing in court.

Many clothing items we wear (according to the judgment of the IRS, not me) can also be worn as "normal" everyday clothing off the field and would NOT be deductible. It has been determined in some tax appeal cases I have read that deductions for some umpire uniform items were disallowed since many parts of the umpire's uniform is considered usable for everyday wear, or they could be worn at other times when not doing a game.

Of course the research I have done and the experiences I have had could be different for you and your situation. All tax related questions should be reviewed by a professional on a case-by-case basis.

I believe there is some good reading material on this topic on the Referee website.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
bigbird69
Crew Chief
No Avatar

bigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my old partners works as an auditor for his day job. Take Richard's advice and don't take any tax advice from anyone except a CPA, or licensed tax advisor. I know enough accounting to know that some of the stuff (Chest protector...etc) may be deductable, BUT rules WILL vary from the IRS and each different state (I.E. You cannot even deduct yourself or your spouse on your NYS state income taxes unlike the Feds.)

My recommendation, talk to your tax advisor as some parts of your equipment purchases may or may not be deductable and your state may look at it differently than the IRS so you might not be able to for the IRS, but your state taxes, you may be able to claim them (or vice versa.)
bigbird69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 04:26 AM   #10
yawetag
Crew Chief

yawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel View Post
The IRS has very strict rules about "work" related clothing deductions. i.e. Just because a lawyer is required to wear a suit to court does not mean he could deduct the cost and cleaning expenses for those suits since he could wear those suits other times even when he is not appearing in court.

Many clothing items we wear (according to the judgment of the IRS, not me) can also be worn as "normal" everyday clothing off the field and would NOT be deductible. It has been determined in some tax appeal cases I have read that deductions for some umpire uniform items were disallowed since many parts of the umpire's uniform is considered usable for everyday wear, or they could be worn at other times when not doing a game.

Of course the research I have done and the experiences I have had could be different for you and your situation. All tax related questions should be reviewed by a professional on a case-by-case basis.
Funny. My tax advisor stated all of my uniforms COULD be deducted, and I'd love to see the IRS's reasoning on why it's not. Nurses can deduct scrubs, even though they could be "usuable for everyday wear."

That said, I'm not trying to deduct socks or underwear. However, pants and uniform shirts are definitely deductable. I can see hats being a gray area, as someone could easily wear them outside of the "job".
yawetag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
kyle_jt
Crew Chief

kyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy night

Being a volunteer, I deduct all my gear and expenses involved with umpiring.

Here's the gray area: When I donate this gear to my local Little League somewhere down the line, can I deduct the same gear again? I don't, but it's an interesting question.
kyle_jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
dash_riprock
All-Star Crew Chief

dash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_jt View Post
Being a volunteer, I deduct all my gear and expenses involved with umpiring.

Here's the gray area: When I donate this gear to my local Little League somewhere down the line, can I deduct the same gear again? I don't, but it's an interesting question.
Why not? Hasn't the gummint stolen enough from you?

BTW: I am not a tax adviser, just your basic tax cheat.
dash_riprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #13
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

dash_riprock;
BTW: I am not a tax adviser, just your basic tax cheat.[/quote]

Be careful dash you could get eject for that statement Just kidding. I hear what you are saying.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote