Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Rules

Unread 07-13-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
stallion

stallion is just getting started
Default Baseball Weather Rules

Can a Major League Umpire STOP play due to "thunder" alone or must it be a case of "lightning ?"

If so...can someone please direct me to the "book rule" that deals with stoppage of play due to "thunder."
Unread 07-13-2008, 01:39 AM   #2
Ozzy
Veteran Crew Chief

Ozzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baseball Weather Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion
Can a Major League Umpire STOP play due to "thunder" alone or must it be a case of "lightning ?"

If so...can someone please direct me to the "book rule" that deals with stoppage of play due to "thunder."
Remember, MLB umpires have access to weather radar at all of the stadiums. If they stopped the game because of thunder, as you stated, maybe there was a large cell coming toward them.

I was at Yankee Stadium back in 2004 and the umpires stopped the game and met with the head grounds keeper. They pulled the tarps out and covered the field and it wasn't even raining. Just as they were finishing with the tarps, a ferocious thunderstorm hit and hit hard. It was over in 20 minutes, the tarps were pulled and the game went on.

Ozzy
Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 03:08 AM   #3
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baseball Weather Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy
Quote:

Remember, MLB umpires have access to weather radar at all of the stadiums. If they stopped the game because of thunder, as you stated, maybe there was a large cell coming toward them.

I was at Yankee Stadium back in 2004 and the umpires stopped the game and met with the head grounds keeper. They pulled the tarps out and covered the field and it wasn't even raining. Just as they were finishing with the tarps, a ferocious thunderstorm hit and hit hard. It was over in 20 minutes, the tarps were pulled and the game went on.
Not just MLB. I witnessed virtually the same scenario in Binghamton (Eastern League) last year.

p.s. There is no book rule about it.
Rich_Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 03:35 AM   #4
stallion

stallion is just getting started

Thanks for the reply..Ozzy...

I ask the question because...although I certainly do not have MLB or experience at the "professional" level......I have been an umpire for over 20 years...and am a graduate of the Brinkman -Froeming (1-week) school.
I've worked at every level from youth, Babe Ruth, High School, College Mens 18-30..and Over 30 leagues.
In my state, NH...there has ALWAYS been a "LIGHTNING" rule...and needless to say that's common sense...
However, about (2) years ago the NHIAA adopted a "THUNDER" rule..which basically says..."if you hear it--CLEAR it" and if you SEE it FLEE it.
Personally I feel a "thunder" rule leaves too much open for "interpretation by the umpires at the individual game site....
[/img][/list][/quote][/u]
Unread 07-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
mfs914
Cadet

mfs914 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to mfs914

Here in NY we have the same rule, I believe the reasoning is that where there is thunder there is lightning. Better safe then sorry is my though.
mfs914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
No Avatar

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Send a message via MSN to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Send a message via Yahoo to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply..Ozzy...

I ask the question because...although I certainly do not have MLB or experience at the "professional" level......I have been an umpire for over 20 years...and am a graduate of the Brinkman -Froeming (1-week) school.
I've worked at every level from youth, Babe Ruth, High School, College Mens 18-30..and Over 30 leagues.
In my state, NH...there has ALWAYS been a "LIGHTNING" rule...and needless to say that's common sense...
However, about (2) years ago the NHIAA adopted a "THUNDER" rule..which basically says..."if you hear it--CLEAR it" and if you SEE it FLEE it.
Personally I feel a "thunder" rule leaves too much open for "interpretation by the umpires at the individual game site....
[/img][/list]
[/u][/quote]

As someone who has played golf for almost 50 years, if I hear thunder I am off the golf course and that is how I umpire too. The OhioHSAA rule for outdoor sports is if thunder is heard or lightning seen clear the field and start a 30 minute clock. The 30 minute clock is reset everytime thunder is heard or lightning is seen. It should also be remembered that lightning can strike as much as 150 miles ahead of a thunderstorm and strike without warning. I would rather be safe that sorry.

MTD, Sr.
IAABO (Lake Erie District) Board #55
Toledo, Ohio
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote