Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Rules

Unread 04-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quick Reference Tool

Got a great tip from a recent transplant to our Hui here in Hawaii...If you do it already than you know...If not, it helps...

When I got my NHFS rule book I razor cut out the three pages referencing the Dead Ball & Delayed Dead Ball Table (activity / awards or penalties) and the base running awars table (three pages total)...

They are quite small and when laminated and clipped together fit in the ball bag or back pocket quite nicely...

I never enter the diamond with a rule book (wish I had it sometimes)...But this serves to help me and my partners know we apply a / the rule properly...Quick, easy reference and helps me avoid protestable issues better...

Just thought I would share...Sometimes the easy stuff is way over my head!!!

Aloha,
Mike

CP = $180
SGs = $100
Basic Uniform (Pants, shirts, socks, belt, ball bags, accessories, cap, LU card and pen) = $150+
Shoes = $100
Annual Equipment / Uniform Updates = $100s
Training Resources = $100 minimum per year
Travel / Gas Expenses = $100s per year.
Concussion Potential = High

Game Fee = $40 average

Who says I do this for the money?
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick Reference Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturman View Post
Got a great tip from a recent transplant to our Hui here in Hawaii...If you do it already than you know...If not, it helps...

When I got my NHFS rule book I razor cut out the three pages referencing the Dead Ball & Delayed Dead Ball Table (activity / awards or penalties) and the base running awars table (three pages total)...

They are quite small and when laminated and clipped together fit in the ball bag or back pocket quite nicely...

I never enter the diamond with a rule book (wish I had it sometimes)...But this serves to help me and my partners know we apply a / the rule properly...Quick, easy reference and helps me avoid protestable issues better...

Just thought I would share...Sometimes the easy stuff is way over my head!!!

Aloha,
Mike
I have an easier method. Just learn that stuff then there's no risk of razor cuts. Seriously, its really not that hard.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel View Post
I have an easier method. Just learn that stuff then there's no risk of razor cuts. Seriously, its really not that hard.
Yeah I know Rich I read every day brother...

Aloha,
Mike

CP = $180
SGs = $100
Basic Uniform (Pants, shirts, socks, belt, ball bags, accessories, cap, LU card and pen) = $150+
Shoes = $100

Game Fee = $40 average

Unread 04-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah I know Rich I read every day brother...

Aloha,
Mike
In all seriousness, I see you're enthused about this "tool." But its not a tool. Its a crutch. When umpires are seen pulling out note cards on the field to check a rule or even to verifiy that they made the right call it conveys an appearance that you're not sure of yourself and you don't know the rules well. It sets the wrong tone and can burn you in the future. Later in the game you call a runner out for going out of the basepath, (a rule you know quite well). The HC comes out and says, "Hey Mike, do you have note card to check that call? I think you got this one wrong!" Coaches see things and they don't forget.

There is a lot of underlying logic to base awards, dead balls and DDBs. Learn the logic and the rules will follow.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Ozzy
Veteran Crew Chief

Ozzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond reputeOzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't tell me that you pull this "tool" out in the middle of a game.... and if you do not, it doesn't belong in your ball bag. Keep it in the trunk with your CCA manual so you can review your stuff when you arrive an hour before game time.

Ozzy
Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel View Post
In all seriousness, I see you're enthused about this "tool." But its not a tool. Its a crutch. When umpires are seen pulling out note cards on the field to check a rule or even to verifiy that they made the right call it conveys an appearance that you're not sure of yourself and you don't know the rules well. It sets the wrong tone and can burn you in the future. Later in the game you call a runner out for going out of the basepath, (a rule you know quite well). The HC comes out and says, "Hey Mike, do you have note card to check that call? I think you got this one wrong!" Coaches see things and they don't forget.

There is a lot of underlying logic to base awards, dead balls and DDBs. Learn the logic and the rules will follow.
Rich,

I hear you...I have not yet used this "tool" and in light of the comment, can readily see why this is not a good idea afterall...I will heed the voice of wisdom and refrain...

Admittedly, when the guy shared this info there was some enthusiasm by many about it...But I get it

Thanks for sticking with this and helping me to see the light...

Aloha,
Mike

CP = $180
SGs = $100
Shoes = $100

Game Fee = $40 average

Unread 04-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
wayne37
Banned
Veteran
No Avatar

wayne37 has a little shameless behavior in the past

Quote:
Rich,

I hear you...I have not yet used this "tool" and in light of the comment, can readily see why this is not a good idea afterall...I will heed the voice of wisdom and refrain...

Admittedly, when the guy shared this info there was some enthusiasm by many about it...But I get it

Thanks for sticking with this and helping me to see the light...

Aloha,
Mike
One of the best things to do is go to a place like Kinko's, and they will spiral bind your rule book for you. Makes them so much easier to read, and look through. Then get a highlighter, and highlight rule changes.

As for the laminated cards, there are colleges officials that do this for the NCAA designated hitter rule.
wayne37 is offline   Reply With Quote