PDA

View Full Version : Dead or alive?

Richard_Siegel
03-06-2011, 03:29 PM
A fair batted ball passes F3 and hits the BU who is still standing in the A position in foul territory. Dead or alive?

Bluefish
03-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Is this a trick question? Sounds like a live ball to me if it passed on the ground f3 and 1b in fair territory .

Richard_Siegel
03-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Is this a trick question? Sounds like a live ball to me if it passed on the ground f3 and 1b in fair territory .

Any question you're not sure of the right answer too is a trick question.

Ozzy
03-06-2011, 07:39 PM
A fair batted ball passes F3 and hits the BU who is still standing in the A position in foul territory. Dead or alive?
Live ball, play on!

Rich_Ives
03-06-2011, 08:50 PM

He said it was a fair ball. It's live. Play the bounce.

heyblue26
03-06-2011, 08:54 PM

I understand that it may be just in the wording that tricks us up, mean some of us up.

Fair ball

heyblue26
03-06-2011, 08:55 PM

He said it was a fair ball. It's live. Play the bounce.

It must of had a spin on it which thru him off.

bigbird69
03-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Fair-Live ball... play on....

As BU, get ready to get razzed by your PU/partners after the game and for a few weeks to come.

Bluefish
03-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Richard,

Based on your past posts and this simple question, I was expecting you to come out with some relevation that the play you described had some inner meaning that I must have been missing. Oh well.

ggchavez
03-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Is he still breathing? I'd wait for a medical professional to declare him dead. ;)

Bluefish
03-07-2011, 01:10 AM
Yeah, I am a little slow sometimes. Maybe BU is a little dead in his tracks and alive with shame for not getting out of the way faster.

Richard_Siegel
03-07-2011, 01:27 AM
What do you make of this?

2.16.1(d) A foul is a batted ball that, while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or a player or any object foreign to the natural ground;

So if a batted ball passes F3 inside the bag and then hits the BU who is still standing in the A position in foul territory, wouldn't this rule make it a foul ball?

ggchavez
03-07-2011, 01:55 AM

2.16.1(d) A foul is a batted ball that, while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or a player or any object foreign to the natural ground;

So if a batted ball passes F3 inside the bag and then hits the BU who is still standing in the A position in foul territory, wouldn't this rule make it a foul ball?
If it was a fly ball, yes. But if it bounded past 1B fair, then here's the rest of the story...

2.5.1 A fair ball is a batted ball which: (c) is on or over fair ground when bounding to the outfield past first or third base;

semper_fi_72
03-07-2011, 02:40 AM

Of course it had spin on it or it wouldn't have veered towards fould ground and the umpire after passing 1B. :twisted:

dash_riprock
03-07-2011, 05:21 AM

It's should HAVE, must HAVE, could HAVE, might HAVE, etc.

Just trying to help.

And I apologize. Must OF is like nails on a blackboard to me.

heyblue26
03-07-2011, 09:00 AM

It's should HAVE, must HAVE, could HAVE, might HAVE, etc.

Just trying to help.

And I apologize. Must OF is like nails on a blackboard to me.

Now thats funny. Of course I knew that the ball had a spin on it they all have some type of rotation. It Should have , must have, could have, and might have. this is what makes this site a lot of fun. Thanks for trying to help.

sdix00
03-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Coming in late.

Assuming this ball was fair before it was "foul", then we have a fair ball.

Once its fair, its fair forever.

dash_riprock
03-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Now thats funny. Of course I knew that the ball had a spin on it they all have some type of rotation. It Should have , must have, could have, and might have. this is what makes this site a lot of fun. Thanks for trying to help.

Thanks for taking my gratuitously snippy comment with grace and class. I allowed a pet peeve of mine to interfere with patience and reserve which, incidentally, are qualities expected of me as an umpire.

Forget about thanking me for trying to help. As a U.S. Marine, you have already done far more for me than I could ever hope to do for you.

Thank you for your service, soldier.

dash_riprock
03-07-2011, 12:44 PM

Of course a batted ball is one who's fair/foul status has yet to be determined - not the case in your OP.

But congratulations on finding yet another contradiction in the rules. I picture you hunched over a desk, examining the rule book through a high-powered lens and making copious notes.

It's a good thing that benefits us all.

bobjenkins
03-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Of course a batted ball is one who's fair/foul status has yet to be determined - not the case in your OP.

But congratulations on finding yet another contradiction in the rules. I picture you hunched over a desk, examining the rule book through a high-powered lens and making copious notes.

It's a good thing that benefits us all.

FWIW, I think that same contradiction is in OBR and NCAA.

MCLEOD36
03-08-2011, 04:32 PM
You gotta love Richard and he makes a great point, hunched back and all...ha ha.

heyblue26
03-08-2011, 08:57 PM
You gotta love Richard and he makes a great point, hunched back and all...ha ha.

He sure keeps us all on our toes thats for sure.