PDA

View Full Version : NFHS Softball - Blocked Ball

bford
08-20-2010, 10:48 PM
OK, newbie here after many years of being a player-dad.

Last nights games were played at a city park. The dugouts have a concrete pad at the exit (outfield) end. The concrete, by ground rule, is deadball area. All the coaches have their buckets on the grass just off the concrete, in live territory.

I (BU) told the guys in the top of first inning to get the buckets out of the way, and they did, but they creeped back out there before the inning was over.

Of course, it happened - an overthrow at 1b that hit a bucket (and sent coach tumbling) and bounced up the right field line. I killed it immediately. The runner from 2b was about 1/2 to 3b, and the BR had not yet reached 1b.

Fortunately, I had been reading a bunch of old threads here that prompted me to review the rules regarding overthrows the night before this game (thanks to you all), so I acted like I knew exactly what I was doing...

It was the offensive team's bucket.

The ball became blocked by the defensive teams throw, so by rule 8.4.3.f it could have been 2 bases from time of throw, i.e. score r2 and br to 2b.

There is an exception:

8.4.3.f(3) says if the ball becomes blocked due to offensive teams stuff then runners return to last base touched when ball became blocked.

I put the BR at first and returned R2 to 2B.

Offensive coach came out and asked and I "explained" the exception and reminded him that I told him to put his buckets up. He said "Oh, ok" and off we went, no more problems.

Did I mess this up too badly?

Again, thanks to you all. This site is a wealth of knowledge.

Richard_Siegel
08-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Perfect!

.....and you're welcome!

bigbird69
08-22-2010, 04:31 AM
As another NFHS Newb, the only thing that I see wrong is after you warned them about the buckets, the second issue (in this case, when they interfered) should of had the coach that took the tumble restricted to the dugout for the remainder (NFHS Rule 3.6.6) as well.

Richard_Siegel
08-22-2010, 04:58 AM
As another NFHS Newb, the only thing that I see wrong is after you warned them about the buckets, the second issue (in this case, when they interfered) should of had the coach that took the tumble restricted to the dugout for the remainder (NFHS Rule 3.6.6) as well.

I agree. That would have been a nice touch.

bford
08-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks, Richard, for moving this to softball.

And thanks for your replies, guys.

It never occurred to me to restrict the coach. The "warning" was just a "put the buckets up, please" before the first pitch. The whole thing was very low-key.

Once again, a prompt to go refresh my self on 3.6.6.

To me, that is one of the great values of this forum. This is one I'll always get right...

bigbird69
08-23-2010, 11:03 PM
This is rule is getting a great deal of emphasis in my state. That is why it was on the tip of my tongue.