PDA

View Full Version : F3 Not Covering on Pickoff

bbbbbbb
06-25-2010, 03:24 AM
OBR, R1

If F1 makes a move to first and the first baseman is behind the runner (not covering the bag) and F1 throws to F3 in this position, is it a balk. If yes, is the reasoning here 8.05d?

Consider the same scenario, but after the pitcher begins to make his move to first base the F3 in a non-obstructing way sneaks in and moves to cover the bag and makes a play on the fielder. Still a balk?

Thanks for any help

CoachJM
06-25-2010, 03:30 AM
bbbbbb,

In your first case, it's a balk.

In your second case, it's not.

When a pitcher "in contact" makes a move to 1B, he mus throw and make a legitimate play. If the F3 is legitimately attempting to make a play as he receives the throw (umpire judgement), he is legal.

JM

yawetag
06-25-2010, 06:48 AM
CoachJM is correct. I'd like to add that the ball must be thrown to the vicinity of the base.

dileonardoja
06-25-2010, 03:56 PM
CoachJM is correct. I'd like to add that the ball must be thrown to the vicinity of the base.

Are you saying that if R1 has a 15 ft lead and F3 sneaks in behind him, F1 cannot make a pick off throw from the rubber to F3 who is also 15 ft from 1B. As long as he steps to the base I think he can throw where ever he wants if there is a legitimate play.

heyblue26
06-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Are you saying that if R1 has a 15 ft lead and F3 sneaks in behind him, F1 cannot make a pick off throw from the rubber to F3 who is also 15 ft from 1B. As long as he steps to the base I think he can throw where ever he wants if there is a legitimate play.

Better Get Pitching Reg and Balks DVD and Diamond Challenge.
They will clear it up and yes Jim is correct.

+1

dash_riprock
06-27-2010, 12:21 AM

Correct. No balk. It is also not a balk if he throws to the base and the fielder is nowhere near it.

heyblue26
06-27-2010, 05:21 AM

That is why i mentioned to you to purchase the DVD. Check out tha store. And Dash_riprock is correct. Hope that this helps you.

johnnyg08
06-27-2010, 06:14 AM
Get the DVD. Best money you'll spend if you're wondering what is and isn't a balk.