PDA

View Full Version : Wally Backman

ump_21
06-11-2010, 07:03 PM
I didn't know whether to post this in Humor, ejections or professional, so Ill just put it right here.

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/must-watch-wally-backman-gets-ejected-and-unloads-a-giant-can-of-awesomess/

You have to see it for yourself.

BrianC14
06-11-2010, 08:17 PM
I didn't know whether to post this in Humor, ejections or professional, so Ill just put it right here.

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/must-watch-wally-backman-gets-ejected-and-unloads-a-giant-can-of-awesomess/

You have to see it for yourself.

It's got hair on it. He managed the South Georgia Peanuts (Independent League) in 2007.

This is the right place for this thread though... Backman is a joke.

ump_24
06-12-2010, 04:22 AM
It's got hair on it. He managed the South Georgia Peanuts (Independent League) in 2007.

This is the right place for this thread though... Backman is a joke.

So was that crew.

BrianC14
06-12-2010, 04:02 PM
So was that crew.

I agree with 50% of that. The base umpire did his rodeo clown bit, what else could he do? The plate umpire..... oy. "It'll be in my report." WTF, over?

finnerty
06-14-2010, 04:50 PM
In late 1999, Wally Backman was hired and fired by the Arizona Diamondbacks without ever having managed a single game. They were actually going to let that little pisspot manage a big-league club. Then, they woke up and swallowed the hiring.

Classic!

BrianC14
06-14-2010, 04:56 PM
In late 1999, Wally Backman was hired and fired by the Arizona Diamondbacks without ever having managed a single game. They were actually going to let that little pisspot manage a big-league club. Then, they woke up and swallowed the hiring.

Classic!

That "job" lasted what - four days? In November, no less. :rolleyes:

ump_24
06-14-2010, 05:16 PM
I agree with 50% of that. The base umpire did his rodeo clown bit, what else could he do? The plate umpire..... oy. "It'll be in my report." WTF, over?

Sorry buddy but I disagree.

We've all agreed on PU's incompetance here. So I'll leave that assessment out.

The PU ejects the batter off camera at 1:01. The batter then follows PU around and up the 3B line, grabbing his arm at 1:11. The player continues to follow the PU, who now has Backman and the EJ player in his face, until BU appears at 1:23, 22 seconds after the ejection. Then, he doesn't even make the player go away. Clearly the 3B coach can't do it, and BU steps in between Backman and PU? Wrong. AND THEN when Backman does get the hook, he tries to step in right away. Pro ball remember? Not supposed to do that. Furthermore, while he's trying to deal with Backman, guess who goes right back after PU? The player and 3B coach.

So now we're at the part where he says "I'm not going anywhere till he tells me what I said." And BU is all, OK cool. Well, why are you letting him go back at PU now? :confused:

Then Backman takes off to try to get more shots in, and BU can't stay in front of him, letting Backman get about 2 inches from PU's ear. So we're now well over a minute after Backman has been run, and he still hasn't called to the bench to get anyone to help get captain courageous off the field. And the whole time, all he can say is "it's time to go. Wally, please" like a schoolgirl begging for her pencil case back? Grow a spine and give it back a little.

thunderheads
06-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Hey Finn, check out at 1:25 ....do I detect that the BU and PU have "different colored" polo blue jersey's on?:rolleyes::-P

Dano
06-14-2010, 10:06 PM
NOW WAIT JUST A GOSH DARN MINUTE.

Throwing that already broken bat out there is just uncalled for.

:)

heyblue26
06-15-2010, 01:25 PM
NOW WAIT JUST A GOSH DARN MINUTE.

Throwing that already broken bat out there is just uncalled for.

:)

I thought he threw too many bats beside the broken one that you mentioned. he was wild I mean wild.

Dano
06-15-2010, 04:36 PM
You have to love a coach who cares enough about the opposing team's catcher that he asks him to move before he throws more bats onto the field

;)

heyblue26
06-16-2010, 11:50 AM
You have to love a coach who cares enough about the opposing team's catcher that he asks him to move before he throws more bats onto the field

;)

Is that showing respect to him by asking him to move before you unload the dugout with all the gear on to the field? I guess it might because if he hit him he would really feel kind of low don't you think? Wally is a wild man totally out of control. Kind of reminds me of GB when they took his home run away.

finnerty
06-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Hey Finn, check out at 1:25 ....do I detect that the BU and PU have "different colored" polo blue jersey's on?:rolleyes::-P

I love it!!

BU has a true polo (Majestic? Honig's?), and the PU has the Smitty or Cliff Keen shade. That's hilarious.

Okay, I must admit, after seeing a couple of pairings with the contrasting shades at a couple of local college games, I bought one of the Smitty polo blues and I take it along when I'm doing a game that calls for polo, so that I'll match my partner no matter what.

Yesterday, my partner was late, and I wanted to finish getting dressed, so I called him, and with appropriate subtlety asked him what brand of polo shirt he wears. He said that it was a Honig's, so I went with the Majestic I brought along that matches it. :)

finnerty
06-16-2010, 04:45 PM
You see, we can even turn a joke thread like this into a gear thread. :mrgreen:

thunderheads
06-16-2010, 04:51 PM
I love it!!

BU has a true polo (Majestic? Honig's?), and the PU has the Smitty or Cliff Keen shade. That's hilarious.

Okay, I must admit, after seeing a couple of pairings with the contrasting shades at a couple of local college games, I bought one of the Smitty polo blues and I take it along when I'm doing a game that calls for polo, so that I'll match my partner no matter what.

Yesterday, my partner was late, and I wanted to finish getting dressed, so I called him, and with appropriate subtlety asked him what brand of polo shirt he wears. He said that it was a Honig's, so I went with the Majestic I brought along that matches it. :)

I figured you may appreciate the fact that I noticed this ...especially after the conversations we've had about "polo" blue!! :) BTW...I did snag a Honig's .....

finnerty
06-16-2010, 05:54 PM
I figured you may appreciate the fact that I noticed this ...especially after the conversations we've had about "polo" blue!! :) BTW...I did snag a Honig's .....

Sweet! The Honig's is a very good shirt--especially since they went to the no-cotton collar, and started sizing them more generously. They also went back to the cool embroidered logo rather than that ugly patch that I removed from mine.

Just had the same conversation with today's partner. His answer: "I have both." :mrgreen: