PDA

View Full Version : Interesting concept.

scorekeep
06-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I finally heard something from the announcers of a MLB that not only made sense, it made great sense. Before I write about it, I want to make sure everyone understands that I understand right now this would only work for pro baseball, because of the expense, and because theyíre the only ones with access to the technology. So please donít anyone go off half-cocked about it not working for any amateur level.

In a game this week, a player from the home team hit a ball to the 3rd baseman. He fielded it, then made a pretty bad throw, and the batter-runner was safe. I was watching the visitor broadcast, and they were saying the scorer made the right call, calling it an error. Shortly thereafter, the announcer said the scorer had changed his mind and called it a hit.

Notice that Iím not saying one way or the other if I thought it was a hit or error, and thatís because it doesnít matter. After it was changed, the announcers went into a bit of a standard hissy because it went against their team, and then they started making comments about that being pretty much standard in the ML, where home team scorers had a habit of doing that.

As they talked about it, one guy mentioned that MLB had been looking at a possibility that could kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Evidently what was being kicked around was, having a 5th umpire at every game. This guy would sit in the press box with all the video feeds available, and be able to check IR to correct or verify calls. That sounded like it made great sense by itself, but then there was an added nugget.

What that umpire would also do, is be the official scorer! They went on talking about it, and how that would make a difference in the scoring, because that wouldnít be someone who could be influenced by the team management or owner, one way or the other.

The more I thought about it, the more I liked it. How great would it be to have scorers who not only knew the scoring rules, but the game conduct rules as well! But to me the best thing about it would be that MLB would actually have to give some guidance about interpreting scoring rules the same way they give guidance about interpreting the other rules. IMHO, that would do more to help improve scoring throughout every level of ball, the same way it helps umpiring every level of ball.

One thing I believe it would really influence, is pitch counts. Not for the pros, but for anyone who requires or will require them to be used as pitch limitations. Iíve been in more than a few ďdiscussionsĒ with umpires about this subject, and when I suggest they be the ones who have anything to do with pitch counts at all, in general letís just say it isnít very well accepted. ;)

Its usually maintained that it isnít their job to do such things, just as any other part of scoring isnít, other than verifying when a run has scored, even though its in the rule book. Well, if MLB were to do something such as I described where the OSK would be an umpire, it would certainly blow at least one argument out of the water.

abevillarreal
06-07-2010, 05:09 PM
wish I could get my 2 minutes back

scorekeep
06-07-2010, 09:53 PM
wish I could get my 2 minutes back

Glad to hear you feel that thereís absolutely nothing wrong with the game and that thereís no room for improvement. Its too bad youíre in such a distinct minority. ;)

fatump
03-20-2011, 01:29 AM
Glad to hear you feel that thereís absolutely nothing wrong with the game and that thereís no room for improvement. Its too bad youíre in such a distinct minority. ;)

I happen to think thats a great idea it would also make room for more umpires into pro ball.

semper_fi_72
03-20-2011, 02:49 AM
Glad to hear you feel that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the game and that there’s no room for improvement. Its too bad you’re in such a distinct minority. ;)

When it comes to scoring, I could care less what anyone does.
As a umpire deciding errors or anything else to do with scoring except indication and out or that a run scores for the scorekeeper.

I am sure scorekeepers for MLB get guidance on score keeping rule.
They are not LL Moms and Pops just handed a score book and asked to keep it.

Oh also one more item.
Deciding whether a hit is a error or scored as a hit is once again one of the judgment calls someone has to make.

Umpire score keeper at MLB.
OK More Umpires and probably a increase in pay since it will increase responsibility, knowledge requirement and work load.

IR - No Way.
It is a game played by humans and officiated by humans.
We don't need to turn it into a Computer Game.

OzUmp
03-20-2011, 03:45 AM
As an umpire there is only one way I want to interact with a scorer and that is with a VERY VERY few scorers at that and is gender based.

ump49
03-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Only 3 people, and one group have an interest in a play being a hit vs an error.
1. The batter who hit the ball.
2. The fielder who made the play.
3. The pitcher, and that is only if that run scores, or would have been the 3rd out.

The only group that cares is the group that have either of the above listed 3 on their fantasy teams.

The MLB adding a 5th umpire will increase the money paid to the scorer by more then 10x what they are currently paying. Right now that person is a part-time employee of the team that takes a course offered by the MLB. The MLB can also order the team to hire someone new should they feel the job isn't being done properly.

The 5th umpire will end up being an older umpire with a very high level of seniority, who would be retired otherwise. He would also become the highest paid official at the game, without the level of responsibility or stress that an on-field official has to deal with.

yawetag
03-22-2011, 04:22 AM
3. The pitcher, and that is only if that run scores, or would have been the 3rd out.
WHIP is important, so the runner scoring isn't a factor.

ump49
03-22-2011, 03:40 PM
I understand but a hit vs error for that stat has a minimal effect over the long term. It would have a greater effect on the ERA.