PDA

View Full Version : PU's Fair Signal

p1timeblue
05-24-2010, 10:26 PM
What's the PU's proper way to signal a fair ball down the 3B side?

1. Left arm pointing in

OR

2. Right arm pointing in, with chest parallel to the 3B-baseline like how a U3 normally signals.

OR

3. Right arm pointing in, with chest towards LF-foul pole and perpendicular to the 3B-baseline.

Thank you.3

abevillarreal
05-24-2010, 11:05 PM
3... while yelling "FAIR BALL FAIR BALL" ok, you might want to leave out the verbal part.

heyblue26
05-25-2010, 12:14 PM
I say #3 and no verbal just point to fair territory

thunderheads
05-25-2010, 12:54 PM
3 ...

NO VERBAL!!!!!:D

bobjenkins
05-25-2010, 01:04 PM
2. Right arm pointing in, with chest parallel to the 3B-baseline like how a U3 normally signals.

Huh?

U3 and PU signal the same way (option 3 above), so I question your premise on this one.

catoblue
05-25-2010, 03:54 PM
3 - no verbal

p1timeblue
05-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Huh?

U3 and PU signal the same way (option 3 above), so I question your premise on this one.

Now that I think about it, if the ball touches the ground before, or close to, the bag, U3 would turn his chest towards fair territory.

But if the ball lands fair just inside the line, and obviously past the bag, U3's chest would be turned towards the foul pole since he is looking that way.

If I'm mistaken, please correct me, thanks!

bobjenkins
05-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Now that I think about it, if the ball touches the ground before, or close to, the bag, U3 would turn his chest towards fair territory.

But if the ball lands fair just inside the line, and obviously past the bag, U3's chest would be turned towards the foul pole since he is looking that way.

If I'm mistaken, please correct me, thanks!

I think you're putting way too much thought into this.

I agree with you if the ball goes past U3 and he either needs to turn to rule on it or to chase it. either way, he's facing the foul pole and indicating fair with the right hand. THis is also what PU does (when it's his call).

If F5 stops a grounder that's U3's call, then U3 stays facing the plate and signals with the left hand (followed immediately by running toward second, as that's his responsibility).

if F5 fails to stop the grounder / line shot that's heading right for U3, the U3 scrambles to get out of the way and points however he can. ;)

renegadewolf
05-26-2010, 03:08 PM
when signaling fair, doesn't matter which baseline it is, use the arm that is facing the infield (left for 1st, right for second) point towards the infield and remain silent

Baloo
05-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Definitely remember to stay silent on this one. I made that mistake once and all action on the field stopped until the left lielder realized that I said Fair and not Foul at which point it was too late for the runners and batter runner to go any further.

I got quite the earful from the coaches on both teams for that one. LOL

midwayll
05-26-2010, 07:45 PM
when signaling fair, doesn't matter which baseline it is, use the arm that is facing the infield (left for 1st, right for second) point towards the infield and remain silent

Ding, ding, ding. Winner.

Richard_Siegel
05-26-2010, 10:18 PM
The umpire stands straddling the line (belt buckle on the line). If you are facing the foul pole to extend the right arm and point. If you are facing HP (as U3 might) you point with the left arm. The important thing is to use the arm on the fair side of your body. Never point with the other arm reaching across your own chest. If you do that those behind you will not see your signal.