PDA

View Full Version : Pregame

yzas
03-31-2010, 09:17 PM
A lot of mechanics questions and problems posted here have "cover it in the pregame" included in the responses.

Seemingly (and my perception could be skewed) a pregame to cover all of the things identified in this forum wouldn't be practical.

There are threads that bullet-point the plate meeting in 5 or so easy steps. Does anyone have something like that for the pregame? (Assume 2-man)

BrianC14
03-31-2010, 10:50 PM
A lot of mechanics questions and problems posted here have "cover it in the pregame" included in the responses.

Seemingly (and my perception could be skewed) a pregame to cover all of the things identified in this forum wouldn't be practical.

There are threads that bullet-point the plate meeting in 5 or so easy steps. Does anyone have something like that for the pregame? (Assume 2-man)

The best you could hope for is right here:

http://www.umpire.org/store/product_info.php?cPath=1_23&products_id=101

yzas
03-31-2010, 11:10 PM
The best you could hope for is right here:

http://www.umpire.org/store/product_info.php?cPath=1_23&products_id=101

Thanks - I'm sure that would be helpful for learning best practices myself.

But I'm asking more about the pregame conversation that you would have with a new partner or one you hadn't worked with in a while.

How does that conversation go? How long do you chat? What questions do you ask? What instruction do you give/take? How do you make sure you're on the same page with him?

BrianC14
03-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks - I'm sure that would be helpful for learning best practices myself.

But I'm asking more about the pregame conversation that you would have with a new partner or one you hadn't worked with in a while.

How does that conversation go? How long do you chat? What questions do you ask? What instruction do you give/take? How do you make sure you're on the same page with him?

It's in that book. Everything that should be pre-gamed is there.

yzas
03-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Got it - thanks.

(and if the publisher's not paying you a commission...they should)

BrianC14
04-01-2010, 01:04 AM
Got it - thanks.

(and if the publisher's not paying you a commission...they should)

Please let Jim Evans know .... ;)

mazzamouth
04-01-2010, 02:00 AM
yzas, I have this same book and it is very , very useful. It is worth every penny.

semper_fi_72
04-01-2010, 02:14 AM
yzas, I have this same book and it is very , very useful. It is worth every penny.

Second that, except I think it costs more than pennies...lol.
After eleven straight days doing 23 games, with probably 16 different partners of varying experience and ability, pre-game with your partner is very important.

heyblue26
04-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Wow! That's a lot of games and a lot of partners too work with but I am sure Semper Fi you had no problems and your re-game briefs as you are on top of your game. I had three games this past weekend and worked with a partner whom we have not worked together for two years. but when we were on the Diamond it seemed that it was just yesterday that we called a game. And yes we did have a pre-game brief as we got dressed for the games.

Yes and that manual should of cost a few hundred dollars

yawetag
04-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Wow! That's a lot of games and a lot of partners too work with

With over 200 umpires in my organization, I haven't worked with a single umpire twice. I do have one guy scheduled twice this year -- we'll see if that works out.