PDA

View Full Version : Interference

emfries
06-10-2009, 02:40 PM
I know that when an umpire judges that a runner intentionally interfears to break up a double play the umpire can award two outs, but can the umpire award 3?

Then (hypothetically), what if, with runners on 1st and 2nd, a sharp ground ball is hit the F5, who steps on third, only to be plowed over by R2. After getting up, he realizes that BR and R1 had broken all of their legs (again, hypothetically), and took 30 seconds to crawl to the next bag. Then, can the umpire award three outs?

Thanks

BrianC14
06-10-2009, 02:52 PM
I know that when an umpire judges that a runner intentionally interfears to break up a double play the umpire can award two outs, but can the umpire award 3?

Then (hypothetically), what if, with runners on 1st and 2nd, a sharp ground ball is hit the F5, who steps on third, only to be plowed over by R2. After getting up, he realizes that BR and R1 had broken all of their legs (again, hypothetically), and took 30 seconds to crawl to the next bag. Then, can the umpire award three outs?

Thanks

And where's the following INT to be called so that the next two outs can be called?

OK - picture this.... you're on a ship at sea... and the batter hits a ball that strikes the #2 funnel, then rebounds and hits the RADAR mast... an appeal is made... but just then, the ship crosses the international date line...

emfries
06-10-2009, 03:26 PM
R2 plows over F5 deliberatly (INT)

Richard_Siegel
06-10-2009, 03:27 PM

Thanks

I read in an interp manual a few years ago that said an umpire may indeed call three outs if a runner intentionally interferes with a fielder while the BR and a following runner becomes physically incapacitated from either broken limbs, infectious disease, or temporary or permanent blindness. So I would support your hypothetical play as a good call.

In most other situations where a runner intentionally interferes with a fielder I would take the two outs and be happy. I have never had the opportunity in over 2000 games to have made such a 2-out INT call myself. However, I am sure that when that time comes there will be a sh!tshouse to clean up. Circle the wagons!

BrianC14
06-10-2009, 04:21 PM
R2 plows over F5 deliberatly (INT)

Agreed. - I'd get 2 outs there... the third out? No way..... like Richard says, 'circle the wagon', there's a-gonna be a fight! :)

ExCop
06-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Agreed. - I'd get 2 outs there... the third out? No way..... like Richard says, 'circle the wagon', there's a-gonna be a fight! :)

Just keep counting backwards until you get to 8, then head for the hills!