PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Play

DP
05-15-2009, 02:21 PM
This may be one of those, "you had to be there" ones but, here goes. We had our end of season meeting for school ball the other night and as umpires go there is always stories and plays to discuss. This play caused the most discussion. Man on 2nd(don't recall # of outs) and the batter gets ball 4. The runner at 2nd is stealing. Almost simultaneously, the following things happen. The batter tosses his bat to the dugout and takes off for first, the catcher throws to 3rd and the ball hits the bat in mid air. There was nothing intentional, it just happened. How would you guys call this one? As you can imagine there were lots of differing opinions. I was leaning toward batter out runner goes back, I sort of remember that the batter can't do anything that keeps the catcher from making a play. That may only apply to a batted ball however. Consensus sort of seemed to be that we had nothing as "it just happened." Lets hear what you all have to say?

uame
05-15-2009, 02:51 PM
It seems harsh, as there was clearly no intent on the part of the batter, but this is clear-cut interference to me. Batter is out, R2 back to second. If you have "nothing", then what would you have if the deflected throw had gone into the dugout? R2 scores and BR on second? That doesn't seem fair to the defense does it? I don't see any way to rule it but batter interference, and I bet he pays attention before tossing his bat in the future.

sethwagner
05-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Fed case book play 7.3.5 I (page 59) is this play exactly.

uame
05-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Fed case book play 7.3.5 I (page 59) is this play exactly.

Which says....???

sethwagner
05-15-2009, 03:27 PM
The ball is dead. Interference is declared on the batter. If a runner had been attempting to steal home the runner would be declared out and batter awarded first base on the base on balls.