PDA

View Full Version : player slides home and is tagged out in dugout

jessakers
05-12-2009, 05:43 AM
I have a question here .... today a runner on our team slid home making a run. After coming into the dugout and removing his helmut the catcher (way delayed) comes running into the dugout to tag him out. The umpire apparently (delayed as well) announced that he didn't touch home plate. Everyone was up in arms due to the delay of play and the fact that he slid on home plate???? Can this actually happen?????

Rich_Ives
05-12-2009, 02:49 PM
I have a question here .... today a runner on our team slid home making a run. After coming into the dugout and removing his helmut the catcher (way delayed) comes running into the dugout to tag him out. The umpire apparently (delayed as well) announced that he didn't touch home plate. Everyone was up in arms due to the delay of play and the fact that he slid on home plate???? Can this actually happen?????

The delay is expected because if a runner misses the plate it must be appealed to the umpire by the defense. The umpire cannot call the out on his own and cannot point out the miss to either team.

Whether or not the runner touched the plate is judgement. Apparently both the umpire and the defense thought the runner missed the plate so "everyone" wasn't up in arms.

All the catcher really had to do was touch the plate and appeal the miss.

The runner could not return to touch the plate after entering the dugout.

Dragon29
05-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Rich is 100% right - to continue with this though . . .

As PU, even if I see the runner miss, I'm not sure I'm calling him out if F2 chases him into his dugout. I believe I'd wait for a proper appeal - the dugout isn't where that's done. If he catches him just outside of his dugout, OK (a waste of F2's time & energy, but OK); if he doesn't tag him until he's all the way in, I don't think so. I don't want opposing players in each other's dugouts.

renegadewolf
08-04-2009, 06:27 AM
I could be way off here, wouldn't be the first time, likely won't be the last either, but wether or not the plate was touched is a judgment call made by the umpire, the proper mechanic when the runner doesn't touch the plate and isn't tagged is to do nothing, as has been pointed out in many posts. Personally I would have (in house league) called the batter out as soon as he walked off the field, but in rep level ball I would wait for the appeal as per OBR 7.08 (k) I could be way off on this too, but if the catcher has taken the ball into the dugout they have brought the ball out of play and were there any base runners they aught to be awarded one base - 7.0.4(c) which if I am correct (please correct em if i am wrong) would actually negate the fielding teams ability to appeal the runner missing the plate.

or just tell me I've been sniffing too much glue

Rich_Ives
08-04-2009, 02:02 PM
I could be way off here, wouldn't be the first time, likely won't be the last either, but wether or not the plate was touched is a judgment call made by the umpire, the proper mechanic when the runner doesn't touch the plate and isn't tagged is to do nothing, as has been pointed out in many posts. Personally I would have (in house league) called the batter out as soon as he walked off the field, but in rep level ball I would wait for the appeal as per OBR 7.08 (k) I could be way off on this too, but if the catcher has taken the ball into the dugout they have brought the ball out of play and were there any base runners they aught to be awarded one base - 7.0.4(c) which if I am correct (please correct em if i am wrong) would actually negate the fielding teams ability to appeal the runner missing the plate.

Personally I would have (in house league) called the batter out as soon as he walked off the field, but in rep level ball I would wait for the appeal as per OBR 7.08 (k)

You MUST wait for the appeal.

if the catcher has taken the ball into the dugout they have brought the ball out of play and were there any base runners they aught to be awarded one base

OK here. But be prepared for people to go nuts when you do it.

In addition, because the ball is dead the tag in the dugout is meaningless. That will probably go over better.

rampro
08-06-2009, 02:11 PM

According to J/R this is a 2 base award:

A. Overthrows

Every runner is awarded two bases after an overthrow. ...

It is an overthrow when:

(5) a fielder possesses a batted or thrown ball and intentionally enters DBT (the "throw" occurs when then he enters DBT)

robcichon
08-06-2009, 02:26 PM
"TIME!" says I.
If any baserunners, "You....there (pointing to their proper advance base)".

When Charlie wants to know why, "Charlie, your Catcher carried the ball into dead ball territory. As to his 'play on the runner': All appeals are live ball appeals ONLY".

I have no problem explaining why the ball is now dead and the base awards as well as 'live ball appeals'.

I will not explain the 'appeal process' further. He can read too.

AugieDonatelli
08-06-2009, 06:41 PM

"I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!" - Lloyd Bridges, Airplane :D

bigbird69
08-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I have seen this once and I was not even on the field. Bases loaded, 1 out. Passed ball and apparently, runner missed home. After 5 second delay and his coaches yelling, started to chase the runner and went into the dugout and applied the tag. Upon entering the dugout, Ump awards the other two runners whom also moved up home ending the game. Vistors were up by one and the bottom of the last inning.

Ump agreed that the runner missed the base, but once he entered the dugout, the runners were awarded home game over as the out would not prevent the runs from scoring... The win was officially be 2 runs because after the dead ball award was done, and the explanation, the visitors never pushed for the reversal.

One of the fun things about dealing with LL. Watching the coaches kill themselves.