PDA

View Full Version : Catcher's mitt

trueblue
03-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Last night I worked a JV game. The quality of play was sub-par to say the least. I don't think many of those kids, for one of the teams, had ever played baseball in their lives. I had to stop the pitcher and tell him that he has to engage the rubber when delivering a pitch, which he did not understand. He was straddling the rubber. I told the coach, and he did not do anything to coach his young pitcher, and the catcher looks up at me and tells me that this is his first time pitching with a big grin on his face.
To speed the game along, my partner, the BU had to go and instruct the pitcher as to how to deliver a legal pitch, something the coach should have done in practice.
Anyways, as I look down at the catcher, I notice that he is wearing a fielders glove to catch with. I mentioned it to him, and he promptly went and received his catcher's mitt.
My question is, I know that under FED, that the catcher's mitt may be of any size, but does that include the option of wearing a fielder's glove?

CoachJM
03-31-2009, 05:28 PM
trueblue,

Yes, under FED rules the catcher may use a fielder's glove (or a 1st baseman's mitt, for that matter) if he so desires.

JM

trueblue
03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Great thanks, that was my thinking, not that having a fielder's glove helped him catch the ball any better, I took plenty of shots all game!

Ozzy
04-01-2009, 12:04 AM
At the JV level, catchers should use a catcher's mitt (yeah, yeah, by rule they don't have to but let's face it, this is HS not LL).

At the JV level, coaches should be instructing their players. Umpires should umpire, not coach. Next time, just start balking the pitcher and let them learn that way. leave the coaching to the coach. If he doesn't do his job, that is not your problem.

carolinablue
04-01-2009, 02:28 AM
Pitcher never pitched before and catcher doesn't know what a mitt is. Bet you were full of confidence when you took your stance behind the catcher. Hopefully the pitcher didn't have much of an arm.

trueblue
04-01-2009, 02:43 AM
Oh yeah, I started getting nervous during the warm-up pitches when my ball bag emptied from me throwing a ball to the pitcher on nearly every pitch. I took a few shots, all on the inner thigh, of course the one area not covered. The only reason the BU helped the young guy out is because we would be there all day if he did not engage the rubber in order to pitch a legal pitch, and the coach was obviously not going to do it...not one conference all game which ended 16-6 with less than a handful of base hits both teams combined.

carolinablue
04-15-2009, 02:00 AM
I was reading over some of the older threads such as this one and had a question come up.

Have any of you guys ever ran across a catcher so bad that you refused to get behind him ?

Or have you ever went to a coach and complained about a catcher's ability to protect you.?

If not, would you ever consider it or just set back and take the licks.?

Never happened to me as of yet, I was just wondering.

chuck1
04-15-2009, 11:27 AM
I was reading over some of the older threads such as this one and had a question come up.

Have any of you guys ever ran across a catcher so bad that you refused to get behind him ?

Or have you ever went to a coach and complained about a catcher's ability to protect you.?

If not, would you ever consider it or just set back and take the licks.?

Never happened to me as of yet, I was just wondering.

Cannot speak personally about this one, but several years ago Bruce Froemming made a MLB team take out their catcher who had let Charlie Williams get hit 6 times. The starter had been injured during the game and the manager sent in the 3rd string guy who hadn't caught since HS because he wanted to save his backup catcher for a PH possibility or some other lame reason. Bruce invoked the integrity of the game clause or 901c clause and told the manager to take him out before Charlie got killed. Caused a stink for Bruce but the manager removed the catcher. Bruce basically told the manager that if the player couldn't play his position he shouldn't be in the Big Leagues. Someone with a better memory or some old articles can probably bring up the quoted facts better than I just described.