PDA

View Full Version : Tag up appeal at third

Dean
03-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Sit: r2 & r3, 1 out. fly ball to F8 and caught who throws to f5. Partner is in C and watches the catch, I go to about the home teams on deck to watch tag up/first touch. as soon as it is caught runner leaves (has tag up) headed for home I move to watch potential play at home. R3 for some reason heads back to third and arrives just after f5 catches the ball and my partner calls him out - no tag on player, just base. Third base coach is upset and home team is running off the field. We get to gether and he quickly changes his call. Home team upset etc - no ejections though....

How should this have been done? Whos call on third was it? Should I have yelled he tagged up to my partner - alerting one or both teams to the situation?

CoachJM
03-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Dean,

In a 2-man system, an appel of the R3's retouch of 3B on the catch always belongs to the PU, whether during the continuous action of the play, or post-continuous action.

You partner "poached" your call here - he screwed up. He should know that's your call and keep his mouth shut.

No verbal communication between partners on retouches (or missed bases).

JM

mr umpire
03-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Your partner should have only called the play on the tag. For tagging up, he should have left it up to you. He is in position of the tag NOT the tag up.

All you can do is sit there and let him make the call. Getting together after the call is the only thing you can do at that point.

Especially if there might be an appeal play, you can't yell that out. You have just tipped the defense to not appeal or let the offense know the runner doesn't really need to tag up and go back to HP.

So, just wait to see what happens and if they actually appeal the leaving early. Otherwise, you have no call on tag plays in this situation because you are out of position to make a tag play call at 3B.

Dean
03-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks to both - that is what I thought - just couldn't get my head around the "tag on runner" scenerio if that had occured - and hadn't had a chance to get to the books yet - dang real life jobs anyways....

Thanks agian.

Pete_Booth
03-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Sit: r2 & r3, 1 out. fly ball to F8 and caught who throws to f5. Partner is in C and watches the catch, I go to about the home teams on deck to watch tag up/first touch. as soon as it is caught runner leaves (has tag up) headed for home I move to watch potential play at home. R3 for some reason heads back to third and arrives just after f5 catches the ball and my partner calls him out - no tag on player, just base. Third base coach is upset and home team is running off the field. We get to gether and he quickly changes his call. Home team upset etc - no ejections though....

How should this have been done? Whos call on third was it? Should I have yelled he tagged up to my partner - alerting one or both teams to the situation?

This type of situation should be a GIVEN even if working with someone for the first time.

The others have answered.

There are certain things that we should EXPECT from each and every partner we work with whether we know them or it's a first time starter. The Pre-game is not equivalent to writing a thesis and there simply is not enough time to go over everything.

When you get to the game the field should be observed and if you notice any 'trouble spots" etc. that's the type of stuff you need to concentrate on with your partner. Who will cover what should the ball end up here etc.

If you and your partner are not on the same page with this type play it sounds as though you have the potential for "catrasophy" as there are other more difficult type scenarios that can happen.

Either purchase a book on the 2 person mechanics or if you can attend a clinic.

Pete Booth

torquer
03-28-2009, 12:31 AM

You've got lead runner with multiple runners on base. You're partner boned you on that one. It happens and thats life. How in God's name did he see R3 tag when the ball is in center field. Thats some peripheral vision!!!!!!! As long as everyone learns from the situation.

Jess

BrianC14
03-28-2009, 01:14 AM
Hopefully this was covered in your pregame meeting.
If not, well... next time I bet it will be.
This is a pretty basic coverage for 2-man, as others have already pointed out.
Your partner had no business putting his nose over at 3B.