PDA

View Full Version : pants on a budget

ryan a levin
02-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Hello all,
With the economy what it is, we all know money is tight. As I've mentioned, I'm returning to umpiring this year after a few years off. All of the uniform/equipment costs can really add up. I feel like footwear and protective gear are the two areas where I should make a good investment. Obviously, there's only so much room for savings with umpire shirts - that leaves pants.

Anyone have any ideas for pants that will LOOK just as good as the $50-$75 pants with brand names that we find on all of the equipment sites, but for much lower prices.

Of course, I don't want them splitting at the crotch while I'm behind the plate, but I don't know that I NEED the brand names (unless they're really the only option).

I would also prefer something that I can wash in my regular washer and dryer.

Thanks,
Ryan
PS - I know that it's very likely that there's nothing out there that would meet all of my needs here, but I thought I'd at least throw it out to you guys.

BrianC14
02-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Ryan,
I would say your best bet is to go to Ebay. I just searched there for "umpire pants", and there were 76 items - some as low as $9.99 (depending on your size, of course); However, most of the $9.99 ones, as you read the description say, "Made by Haggar". Do not buy those - they are not 'umpire pants'.

Also: check with your local association - there are always some guys getting rid of some used gear. No, it won't be new, but it'll get you going.

Whatever you do, don't buy at Sears or JCPenney or the like... (or those Haggars on Ebay!)

Otherwise, you might want to bite the bullet and go to www.ump-attire.com and get a pair of combo pants.

TomClarke
02-17-2009, 04:29 PM
what size waist?

ryan a levin
02-17-2009, 04:55 PM
what size waist?

2-big

(42)

ryan a levin
02-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Ryan,
I would say your best bet is to go to Ebay. I just searched there for "umpire pants", and there were 76 items - some as low as $9.99 (depending on your size, of course); However, most of the $9.99 ones, as you read the description say, "Made by Haggar". Do not buy those - they are not 'umpire pants'.

Also: check with your local association - there are always some guys getting rid of some used gear. No, it won't be new, but it'll get you going.

Whatever you do, don't buy at Sears or JCPenney or the like... (or those Haggars on Ebay!)

Otherwise, you might want to bite the bullet and go to www.ump-attire.com and get a pair of combo pants.

Yeah - I figured that. I saw one of the haggar posts, and felt like that just screamed backwards hat and shin guards over the pants.

BrianC14
02-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah - I figured that. I saw one of the haggar posts, and felt like that just screamed backwards had and shin guards over the pants.

Yep. ;)

jomatiky
02-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Try GOODWILL or Consignment shops

finnerty
02-18-2009, 05:34 PM
You don't need real umpire slacks. Go ahead and use any pair of gray slacks you can find. The cheaper, the better, I say. What could go wrong?

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/ballparkguy/umpire.jpg

BrianC14
02-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Fin.... ROFL

That guy even bought the cheap tighty-whities! LOL
Nice hat, too!

I never tire of that pic! :D

finnerty
02-18-2009, 05:49 PM
And you gotta' love the nylon dazzle shirt!

Thanks for leaving that for me. ;)

finnerty
02-19-2009, 04:23 AM
Hey, Ryan, talk to this guy ... he has four pairs of 42s to unload:

http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=51711

Keefj200
02-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Always purchase the best equipment you can afford. Of course that figure will be different for everyone, but I have never regretted buying quality merchandise - I usually regret buying "value" items to save money.

MCLEOD36
02-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Finn.
THAT is NOT right.... tell him to keep jewels covered.

finnerty
02-21-2009, 04:21 AM
Finn.
THAT is NOT right.... tell him to keep jewels covered.

And that guy looks like he's umpiring high school ball. Those guys look like the big kids, and that center field dimension looks pretty deep. So that is no youth ball "Smitty."

And nowadays, there's always a wise-ass with a camera.

jomatiky
02-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Maybe it's a "Hanes" Commercial. "Wait till we get our HANES on you"

ryan a levin
02-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Always purchase the best equipment you can afford. Of course that figure will be different for everyone, but I have never regretted buying quality merchandise - I usually regret buying "value" items to save money.

I can't agree more. Sometimes it's tough to do though, especially when the family income is two teachers' salaries and you're trying to buy a house:)
Ryan

finnerty
02-22-2009, 02:41 AM
He has a point there, Keef. ;)

Keefj200
02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
He has a point there, Keef. ;)

"The best YOU can afford" is a most subjective line. A young couple with a limited budget, probably should not spring for a pair of Honig's Poly-wool pants. However, IF he can afford them, he will not regret the purchase. Only Ryan can determine his umpire equipment budget. Sometimes I cringe at the concept - "Go ahead and buy a pair of Wal-mart gray pants - they are just as good as the Honig's." I actually heard this at an association meeting. No, they are not - if the Walmart brand is the best you can afford, so be it. Living within a budget is a great way for any couple to manage their affairs, young or old.