PDA

View Full Version : Injured pitcher

steviedpsu
02-09-2009, 07:16 PM
As the plate ump, I noticed the pitcher grimace in pain every time he pitched. I told the catcher to check on him and asked the coach if he wanted to check but he said no. I let the pitcher throw a couple more pitches and his grimace was getting worse so I called time and told the coach to check on him. He told me the only way he would go out is if I didn't charge him with a conference. Which I told him I wouldn't and explained it to the other coach. He kept the pitcher in for another batter then finally pulled him. This was an 8th grade game. Was I correct in allowing the coach to talk to the pitcher without a conference? If not what else can I do?

lmsans
02-09-2009, 08:31 PM
For an 8th grade game, I'd say you did the right thing.

TarheelUmp
02-09-2009, 09:45 PM
They can come out to check on an injured player w/o being charged a trip. As an umpire your job is to be with in earshot to make sure they do not discuss strategy or game play. If they do then it is a trip.

Ozzy
02-11-2009, 12:32 PM
They can come out to check on an injured player w/o being charged a trip. As an umpire your job is to be with in earshot to make sure they do not discuss strategy or game play. If they do then it is a trip.
Excellent! It seems someone was paying attention in the clinics! :)

nohomecookin
02-12-2009, 02:57 AM
I'd say the better question to ask is, did you do the right thing by pushing the catcher and the coach to check on the pitcher. As a dad, and as a former coach, I'd say the ump is right to do this, and the coach is quite negligent for allowing the kid to keep throwing with an obvious grimace.

At the High School level, especially at a top quality program, I'm not sure I'd speak to the coach. Probably just the catcher. If he checked on the pitcher and then said, "He's fine, sir" I'd let it go. No one in their right mind would fault an umpire for keeping out of that mess, but many could fault him for pushing the coach to "wake up."

It's not right, but it's true (as my ole grandpappy used to say).