PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Getting Back Into It

bayman1975
01-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Well, I'm thinking about getting back into calling. I called for 15 years, but deteriorating knees and back pain finally forced to quit. I haven't call in 10 years. I've since had both knees replaced, lost 100 pounds, and plan to lose more, and been taken off of 7 prescription drugs that really hampered me when trying to do physical activities, especially outside in the heat.

I've called softball and baseball. I did a lot of summer and high school softball, and did baseball up through Jr. Babe Ruth. I didn't have the legs under me to do the big boys on the 90' bases in a two-man crew.

I've done numerous District and State Tournaments over the years, and turned down several Regional and National Championship Tournaments in my later years of calling. But, like I said, my knees were gone, and with three herniated discs in my back, I just wasn't able to continue. After the State Tournaments, I was just ready to quit and lay down for a while.

I think I'm ready to get my feet wet again. I'll have to coordinate around my oldest grandson's USSSA baseball games, but I did the same thing when my girls were playing, and even when I was coaching.

Maybe I'll see some of you guys around the ballpark somewhere. I'll be the 52 year old newbie running around out there. Everybody have a good season.

mr umpire
01-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Good luck. Hopefully things won't seem too awkward for you. Good job on the weight and hopefully the knees hold out.

mstaylor
01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Just remember that moderation is the key. Don't wear yourself out early in the season so you don't have anything left for post season.