PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Weather Rules

stallion
07-13-2008, 01:21 AM
Can a Major League Umpire STOP play due to "thunder" alone or must it be a case of "lightning ?"

If so...can someone please direct me to the "book rule" that deals with stoppage of play due to "thunder."

Ozzy
07-13-2008, 01:39 AM
Can a Major League Umpire STOP play due to "thunder" alone or must it be a case of "lightning ?"

If so...can someone please direct me to the "book rule" that deals with stoppage of play due to "thunder."
Remember, MLB umpires have access to weather radar at all of the stadiums. If they stopped the game because of thunder, as you stated, maybe there was a large cell coming toward them.

I was at Yankee Stadium back in 2004 and the umpires stopped the game and met with the head grounds keeper. They pulled the tarps out and covered the field and it wasn't even raining. Just as they were finishing with the tarps, a ferocious thunderstorm hit and hit hard. It was over in 20 minutes, the tarps were pulled and the game went on.

Rich_Ives
07-13-2008, 03:08 AM

Remember, MLB umpires have access to weather radar at all of the stadiums. If they stopped the game because of thunder, as you stated, maybe there was a large cell coming toward them.

I was at Yankee Stadium back in 2004 and the umpires stopped the game and met with the head grounds keeper. They pulled the tarps out and covered the field and it wasn't even raining. Just as they were finishing with the tarps, a ferocious thunderstorm hit and hit hard. It was over in 20 minutes, the tarps were pulled and the game went on.

Not just MLB. I witnessed virtually the same scenario in Binghamton (Eastern League) last year.

p.s. There is no book rule about it.

stallion
07-13-2008, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the reply..Ozzy...

I ask the question because...although I certainly do not have MLB or experience at the "professional" level......I have been an umpire for over 20 years...and am a graduate of the Brinkman -Froeming (1-week) school.
I've worked at every level from youth, Babe Ruth, High School, College Mens 18-30..and Over 30 leagues.
In my state, NH...there has ALWAYS been a "LIGHTNING" rule...and needless to say that's common sense...
However, about (2) years ago the NHIAA adopted a "THUNDER" rule..which basically says..."if you hear it--CLEAR it" and if you SEE it FLEE it.
Personally I feel a "thunder" rule leaves too much open for "interpretation by the umpires at the individual game site....
[/img][/list][/quote][/u]

mfs914
07-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Here in NY we have the same rule, I believe the reasoning is that where there is thunder there is lightning. Better safe then sorry is my though.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
07-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the reply..Ozzy...

I ask the question because...although I certainly do not have MLB or experience at the "professional" level......I have been an umpire for over 20 years...and am a graduate of the Brinkman -Froeming (1-week) school.
I've worked at every level from youth, Babe Ruth, High School, College Mens 18-30..and Over 30 leagues.
In my state, NH...there has ALWAYS been a "LIGHTNING" rule...and needless to say that's common sense...
However, about (2) years ago the NHIAA adopted a "THUNDER" rule..which basically says..."if you hear it--CLEAR it" and if you SEE it FLEE it.
Personally I feel a "thunder" rule leaves too much open for "interpretation by the umpires at the individual game site....
[/img][/list][/u][/quote]

As someone who has played golf for almost 50 years, if I hear thunder I am off the golf course and that is how I umpire too. The OhioHSAA rule for outdoor sports is if thunder is heard or lightning seen clear the field and start a 30 minute clock. The 30 minute clock is reset everytime thunder is heard or lightning is seen. It should also be remembered that lightning can strike as much as 150 miles ahead of a thunderstorm and strike without warning. I would rather be safe that sorry.

MTD, Sr.