PDA

View Full Version : Small Field Mechanics

folsomblue
06-11-2008, 07:33 PM
The league I’m currently with hosts a series of 60’ tourneys this time of year (my first year with them) under Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken rules.
They normally use teenagers for the small diamond work but for tourneys they call in us slow old guys. Problem is I haven’t worked a 60’ game in 2+ years. Any advice from you veterans on mechanics other than ‘outfield you’re in; infield your out’?
Thanks in advance…

Richard_Siegel
06-12-2008, 03:54 AM
The league I’m currently with hosts a series of 60’ tourneys this time of year (my first year with them) under Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken rules.
They normally use teenagers for the small diamond work but for tourneys they call in us slow old guys. Problem is I haven’t worked a 60’ game in 2+ years. Any advice from you veterans on mechanics other than ‘outfield you’re in; infield your out’?
Thanks in advance…

Usually the moms are better looking at this level.

BigUmp56
06-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Thanks in advance…

Here's a link to a power point presentation that should help.

Small Diamond Mechanics (http://eteamz.active.com/LLBFLD15/files/TwoUmpireRotationRev3.0.ppt)

Tim.

folsomblue
06-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Richard, out of all the great rules interpretations, advice and counsel on this forum, that may be the best. I'll report back next week :D

1peanut
06-12-2008, 05:42 PM
i think pictures are a must :P

umpjmb
06-13-2008, 04:19 AM

Richard, I hate to take exception to your comment (because we all know it's true)... but... the OP was asking for advice.

Therefore, taking your statement into effect, the ADVICE part would be to wear reflective sunglasses... so as to maximize the enjoyment of statement without being obvious... :wink:

BigUmp56
06-13-2008, 05:30 AM

Richard, I hate to take exception to your comment (because we all know it's true)... but... the OP was asking for advice.

Therefore, taking your statement into effect, the ADVICE part would be to wear reflective sunglasses... so as to maximize the enjoyment of statement without being obvious... :wink:

And work out a signal in your pre-game with your partner to let him know you've found one worthy of a lengthy gaze........

Tim.

blue32
07-11-2008, 03:39 PM

And work out a signal in your pre-game with your partner to let him know you've found one worthy of a lengthy gaze........

Tim.

The system that was taught to me was:

PU moves hand:
Behind the head for blonde
Right side of head for brunette
Left side for redhead

Then extend arm to the side at shoulder length or above-left or right depending on what side she is on.
Then show the number of fingers to indicate how many rows up she is sitting.

nwarkblue
07-12-2008, 06:17 AM
Blue 32, dang to many signs to remember :lol:

so JB that's why you were those shades, mmmm now i know.

ahusker
07-13-2008, 04:03 AM
Im doing a 10 year old tournament this weekend. and there are some good looking moms, sunglasses are a must.

nwarkblue
07-13-2008, 05:33 AM
Husker,
Get some good ones. Seriously, the guy that broke me in as an umpire 12 years ago told me about the sunglasses after or first double header. Been wearing them on the bases during daylight games since then.

rhoffer21
07-13-2008, 11:44 PM
I just did a 10u tourney today and its really hard to find that sweet spot in position B and C. For B i moved out onto the outfield grass and called it like I would a mens softball game, but for C you still had to really be on your toes.

BigUmp56
07-14-2008, 12:11 AM
I just did a 10u tourney today and its really hard to find that sweet spot in position B and C. For B i moved out onto the outfield grass and called it like I would a mens softball game, but for C you still had to really be on your toes.

On a 60' diamond the BU should always start on the outside.

Tim.