PDA

View Full Version : What we all

Tim_C
06-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Wait for our entire career for this rotation and to HAVE A PLAY:

http://videos.oregonlive.com/oregonlive/2008/06/newport_wins_4a_baseball_title.html

(Check in around the :40 mark)

Kudos to Ken Norflett of Corvallis, OR working as U1 in the Oregon 4A State Championship Final.

Regards,

TarheelUmp
06-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Great rotation play.

Ozzy
06-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Great job! I've set up for this play so many times and only had a call once!

BrianC14
06-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Sweet!

I noticed that the plate umpire, all the way up at 3rd, ready to make a call, and even though he doesn't need to, see how relaxed he is, KNOWING that his partner from the A position has come in to take home plate.

Man oh man, I can think of several umpires that I could show this to, especially those ones in our 3-man crew that had such a puzzled look on their face when we'd discuss this rotation....

"I have to cover home from first base? Really? " :?

Great video, thanks for bringing it in, Tim!

Dano
06-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Frack.

Tim.. cannot get video to play.

Any other place posted?

Tim_C
06-02-2008, 04:19 PM
An additional point:

This is the FIRST TIME this crew ever worked together.

Regards,

bobjenkins
06-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Great training video. Perhaps we could also see video of fly ball coverage (ducking and running). ;)

Dano
06-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Got it!

Nicely done.

Richard_Siegel
06-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Great work. Unfortunately, I bet no one in the crowd even realized the BU made a call at HP.

In 2002, I was working the LL SB World Series in Portland, OR. Tim_C came to watch me! I was the 1B umpire (4-man). The game was braodcast on ESPN2. On a play with R1 and R2, R2 attempted to score on a hit to F8. [Matt13, It is OK for me to use the terminology "hit to F8?"] Based on our rotation, the PU went to 3B, I went to HP after the BR commited herself to 2B. We had a bang-bang play at HP and I called the runner out from a perfect 3BLE.

It thought this will look great on TV! I got the tape and when I got home to NJ to watch it I noticed the announcers did not even mention that the U1 made the call at HP. Then the girl who was R2 came to bat the next time the announcers mentioned how she was called out at home plate by Dave Larson, who was the PU! AAARRGGGGG!

BrianC14
06-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Great work. Unfortunately, I bet no one in the crowd even realized the BU made a call at HP.

In 2002, I was working the LL SB World Series in Portland, OR. Tim_C came to watch me! I was the 1B umpire (4-man). The game was braodcast on ESPN2. On a play with R1 and R2, R2 attempted to score on a hit to F8. [Matt13, It is OK for me to use the terminology "hit to F8?"] Based on our rotation, the PU went to 3B, I went to HP after the BR commited herself to 2B. We had a bang-bang play at HP and I called the runner out from a perfect 3BLE.

It thought this will look great on TV! I got the tape and when I got home to NJ to watch it I noticed the announcers did not even mention that the U1 made the call at HP. Then the girl who was R2 came to bat the next time the announcers mentioned how she was called out at home plate by Dave Larson, who was the PU! AAARRGGGGG!

Richard, look at it this way: most announcers have more than they can handle with action/plays by the teams... I think it would be even worse listening to them blather on about umpire mechanics.

Richard_Siegel
06-02-2008, 07:34 PM

Richard, look at it this way: most announcers have more than they can handle with action/plays by the teams... I think it would be even worse listening to them blather on about umpire mechanics.

This was a case of 4 amateur umpires who traveled at their own expense from all over the country and who never worked together before doing a 4 man roation (very unusual for us) and getting it perfect in a very ususal play. They could have at least have gotten the name right!

Hobbit
06-02-2008, 10:31 PM
I never once got to whack somebody at home plate this year. I all got to see was a couple touches that beat the throw by a couple seconds. When it does happen, it is my favorite thing to watch happen as far as umpiring goes.

Richard, about that batted ball to F8 thats sounds like a pretty cool experience. That really sucks the botched your name though. lol

Especially when you got it right.

mazzamouth
06-03-2008, 04:00 AM
Great rotation... I wish i would get to make this call.. I have been the U1 several times and rotated but never got to make the call...

BT_Blue
06-09-2008, 05:15 AM
cant wait to work with these guys. Sadly its still more than a year away before I move that way.

On a brighter note Ive only gotten to do that rotation a hand full of times. The one time I made the call at HP as the BU was a two man game (thats right. ball to right. Im up 1b line since no one is on. I go out. partner takes the runner around the bases. I dash back home after RF releases ball. BR comes all the way back around to HP and I bang the guy out at home.)

Love this rotation... its orgasm wrapped up in a nice little bow for us that know about it.

_bobby_
06-09-2008, 10:27 AM
do it everytime,
never had a call yet :(

i bet that isnt the first time that crew work together tho...

Tim_C
06-09-2008, 12:59 PM
" . . . bet that isnt the first time that crew work together tho... "

Bobby, as I mentioned above this WAS the first time this crew ever worked together.

HP Umpire from Portland, OR

U1 Umpire from Corvallis, OR

U3 Umpire from Astoria, OR

Three separate Associations from different locations with only 1/2 hour site training at the State Championship site.

Regards,

BT_Blue
06-10-2008, 06:54 AM
Goes to show the training being done by the state association. Cant wait to get the chance to do training with them...

Tim_C
06-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Arik I hope that is soon.

BT_Blue
06-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Like I said in my PM. My wife and I are taking a trip to Portland and Seattle in mid July. Flying into and out of PDX and will most likely spend the 15th through the 19th or 20th in Portland looking around at places and seeing what there is to see. Then going up to Seattle for 5 days before coming back.

Really looking forward to the trip.

catsbackr
06-11-2008, 01:59 AM
At the 1:08 point, during a triple, the home plate umpire and third base umpire are both at third.

Humm?

BrianC14
06-11-2008, 03:38 AM
At the 1:08 point, during a triple, the home plate umpire and third base umpire are both at third.

Humm?

:oops:

Tim_C
06-11-2008, 12:53 PM
I will say only one thing about the 1:08 issue.

The third base umpire was the ONLY umpire in the game that had not gone through the Oregon Athletic Officials Association State 3 Man Umpire Clinic.

An executive from the OSAA said:

"We have found that with the added training now available for high school umpires in Oregon we can no longer afford to try to "hide" the weakest umpires at third base."

Regards,

(This post is not an attempt to throw anyone under the bus it is simply information as to the training of the umpires working this specific game.)

bobjenkins
06-11-2008, 12:59 PM
I will say only one thing about the 1:08 issue.

The third base umpire was the ONLY umpire in the game that had not gone through the Oregon Athletic Officials Association State 3 Man Umpire Clinic.

An executive from the OSAA said:

"We have found that with the added training now available for high school umpires in Oregon we can no longer afford to try to "hide" the weakest umpires at third base."

Regards,

(This post is not an attempt to throw anyone under the bus it is simply information as to the training of the umpires working this specific game.)

The weakest umpire should be hidden at the plate. Most of the mechanics are the same as in 2-man.

Hmmm... maybe that's why I work so many plates. ;)

catsbackr
06-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Kudos on the rotation situations and the way most were covered.

You can't post a video and not expect a group of umpires to not catch errors in rotation however. And why would a WEAK umpire be working this game at all.

And I am surprised an umpire from Astoria was allowed to work this game with Astoria playing.

No slight meant, the video was great. We do that in the championship games in Tennessee also.

Tim_C
06-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Assignments for all championship games are assigned SEVEN YEARS in advance. The assignments are distributed by size of association.

Example:

Portland works 2/3 of the Class 6A schools in the state so we ALWAYS have two umpires in the championship game. Portland is also the ONLY group in the state that is considered "neutral" for all games. This simply means that we are allowed to work the plate of an championship EVEN if a Portland team is in the game.

The only thing an association (other than Portland) cannot do is work a plate if they have a team in the final.

As for umpire selection:

Each association in the state selects their own representative to work the final. There is no state rating system and "currently" no administrative review of the qualifications of state championship umpires.

Some associations send there "best" umpire when they have a slot . . . others reward their members by giving them the thrill of working a state championship game.

Administrative Review:

Starting in 2010 the Oregon School Activities Association is placing greater regulation on state payoff umpires.

Since the OSAA pays umpires directly starting with the first round of playoffs they have started to elevate the training and review of tourney umpires. That system has not yet been fully defined.

I hope this all makes sense.

Regards,

BT_Blue
06-13-2008, 05:19 AM
Portland works 2/3 of the Class 6A schools in the state so we ALWAYS have two umpires in the championship game. Portland is also the ONLY group in the state that is considered "neutral" for all games. This simply means that we are allowed to work the plate of an championship EVEN if a Portland team is in the game.

So in other words. when and if my wife and I chose Oregon (honestly Tim, my wife is really pushing for the Portland area so... as we all know... the women almost always win). I should make sure to be in the Portland group. Better chance of making a playoff roster.

Does Portland have a requirement as to the number of years working HS or in the unit. Here in Long Beach you must have worked a minimum of 4 years of HS ball and the last two have to be with Long Beach. Does Portland do anything like this?

Cal Blue
07-30-2008, 04:17 PM
... Love this rotation... its orgasm wrapped up in a nice little bow for us that know about it.
Another example of how much easier we are to please as we age.