PDA

View Full Version : Ejected for language

mn_ump
04-12-2008, 10:30 AM
A few years back, I was BU and ny partner ejected two coaches and two spectators from a Babe Ruth game for their language. Or, more specifically, because he could not determine what they said. He just knew it wasn't good.

Everything started when the HC started an argument about a hit that crossed over 3rd base, called fair, and he felt it should have been called foul. In his opinion, the ball has to be fair until it is past the base and can go into foul ground after that.

Well, the argument got a little heated, and the coach started speaking in his native tongue. Here in Minnesota, we don't have a large population of Spanish-speaking people, so the language is very foreign to us. Swear at me in Swedish or Norwegian and I will get every word. Spanish? May as well be from Mars.

Anyway, he rung the HC for what he perceived to be foul language. The AC took up where the HC left off and quickly joined him in the parking lot. The spectators must have been the coaches wives and were getting lonely, because they ended up in the lot with the coaches.

The next week, he had the plate for that team again, this time in the State Tournament.

All four apologized (in English) for what they said the week before.

Just in case, the tournament UIC sat in the stands to make sure that order was kept throughout the game.

gobama84
04-12-2008, 06:03 PM
A few years back, I was BU and ny partner ejected two coaches and two spectators from a Babe Ruth game for their language. Or, more specifically, because he could not determine what they said. He just knew it wasn't good.

Everything started when the HC started an argument about a hit that crossed over 3rd base, called fair, and he felt it should have been called foul. In his opinion, the ball has to be fair until it is past the base and can go into foul ground after that.

Well, the argument got a little heated, and the coach started speaking in his native tongue. Here in Minnesota, we don't have a large population of Spanish-speaking people, so the language is very foreign to us. Swear at me in Swedish or Norwegian and I will get every word. Spanish? May as well be from Mars.

Anyway, he rung the HC for what he perceived to be foul language. The AC took up where the HC left off and quickly joined him in the parking lot. The spectators must have been the coaches wives and were getting lonely, because they ended up in the lot with the coaches.

The next week, he had the plate for that team again, this time in the State Tournament.

Just in case, the tournament UIC sat in the stands to make sure that order was kept throughout the game.

I see the problem!! MN umpire with a NY partner. :lol:

Matt13
04-13-2008, 04:25 AM

Heh-heh-heh...

Go down to Robert St. and Cesar Chavez--you'll learn the Spanish you need to know that is unacceptable.

mn_ump
04-14-2008, 06:56 AM
That is the neighborhood that the team was from...

dash_riprock
04-14-2008, 10:56 AM

Did the ball touch fair ground before passing over the base and landing foul? If not, the coach was right.

OzUmp
04-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Personally I have never seen the bounce that can cause a ball to start over foul territory, cross the bag and then land in foul territory. Physics being what it is I doubt that I ever will.

dash_riprock
04-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Personally I have never seen the bounce that can cause a ball to start over foul territory, cross the bag and then land in foul territory. Physics being what it is I doubt that I ever will.
Agreed. Maybe in a tornado...

Maybe I'm not clear about what the coach was arguing. From the OP, I picture a ball in flight passing 3rd base over fair territory, then landing foul. In that case the coach would be right.

Rash3UC
04-15-2008, 06:09 PM

I don't think I ever will either

mn_ump
04-21-2008, 06:00 AM
The ball hat hit the ground prior to crossing over the bag, making it a fair ball.

robbyrudd45
04-21-2008, 03:36 PM

The only thing I would say is that I would not eject spectators. Spectators do not exist and if you acknowledge them (let along eject them) then that means they got to you.

gregm
04-24-2008, 02:06 PM
In our Dizzy Dean league, if a spectator gets to much out of control, we talk to the manager and get them to try and handle it. If this doesn't work, we stop the game, and get a board member to handle it.
During one game, I have had one of the coaches, who was also a board member ask me if I wanted him to get rid a spectator. I told him not to worry about it, she wasn't bothering me.

JBowling
04-24-2008, 06:07 PM

I don't know, the Warren Commission did come up with the single bullet theory.

Rash3UC
04-24-2008, 07:14 PM

I don't know, the Warren Commission did come up with the single bullet theory.

Play the game JFK: Reloaded. You'll understand that the bullet theory is not a single bullet however 3 coming from the same area. First one missed the car completely second hit JFK and the Gov. 3rd blew his brains all over the car. The shot is possible, just very very hard to duplicate.

A ball bouncing foul before the base then going over the base then bouncing foul is impossible due to the law of physics.