PDA

View Full Version : Dump The Coach

bigblueump
07-16-2005, 06:01 AM
In one of the leagues that I work, we've been ordered to dump the coach after a couple of warnings for fowl mouth behavior from that coaches team if we don't know for sure who said it. In fact, we've got the green light to dump both the offender & the coach after a couple of warnings to the coach if by chance we catch a player in the act.

This sure has cut down on ejection problems in a big way!

Any comments here?

Thanks!

BBU[/u]

NguyenCR
07-18-2005, 07:02 PM
A Manager is responsible for the actions of his players, and in some local leagues, his fans.

barton
07-18-2005, 07:05 PM
....we've been ordered to dump the coach after a couple of warnings for fowl mouth behavior from that coaches team ...
BBU[/u]

So? ... Do you eject him if he calls you chicken?

07-18-2005, 11:02 PM
....we've been ordered to dump the coach after a couple of warnings for fowl mouth behavior from that coaches team ...
BBU[/u]

So? ... Do you eject him if he calls you chicken?

LOLOL good one, Bart ! What if the coach compares you to the old joke about the difference between a rooster and a man..??

Seriously, what is this leagues definition of "foul mouth behavior"? The "F" word?? DEFINATELY, BINGO! He's history.

As Nguyen said, the coach is responsible for his team. What age group is this? IMO, if this is sub 12 yr old kids, you need to dump 'em without a warning. These kids should not be foul mouthing on a ballfield. What kind of parental guidance have they had and are they getting?? Sheeshhh...

As an umpire, you don't need permission to dump anybody. What kind of league asks or requires their umpires to ask permission? Not much of a league if they do....

Dumping a coach or a player is a great motivator for disciplining the offenders.

Like NIKE says, "Just do it!"

flapper
07-19-2005, 07:21 AM
I recently worked a fast pitch softball tournament (adult); I arrived during the second game of four on my field. (I was assigned to work only games three and four.) There were quite a few children in the stands, and quite a lot of profanity on the field. When I took over for the next game, I warned both coaches in my pre-game that I wouldn't tolerate such language on my watch, and that if it was coming from the bench, the coach would go along with the offender. Sure enough, as soon as the pre-game was over, I overheard both coaches (who also played for both teams) that anyone who got them tossed would be off the team. The only questionable word I heard the entire afternoon was when a catcher took a foul ball off his throwing hand, and even then, he immediately apologized profusely. Under the circumstances, since no one but me and the batter heard him, I let it slide.

07-19-2005, 04:38 PM
I recently worked a fast pitch softball tournament (adult); I arrived during the second game of four on my field. (I was assigned to work only games three and four.) There were quite a few children in the stands, and quite a lot of profanity on the field. When I took over for the next game, I warned both coaches in my pre-game that I wouldn't tolerate such language on my watch, and that if it was coming from the bench, the coach would go along with the offender. Sure enough, as soon as the pre-game was over, I overheard both coaches (who also played for both teams) that anyone who got them tossed would be off the team. The only questionable word I heard the entire afternoon was when a catcher took a foul ball off his throwing hand, and even then, he immediately apologized profusely. Under the circumstances, since no one but me and the batter heard him, I let it slide.

Good job!

Rcichon
07-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Nice.

I usually exercise leniency too when I see a Team/Manager/Player complying and I KNOW the expletive was an 'oops' directed at himself/herself.

PABLUE
07-19-2005, 11:49 PM
I especially let it slide if the poor SOB has just taken a fastball to the ribs! :lol:

Tim_C
07-19-2005, 11:56 PM
"I recently worked a fast pitch softball tournament (adult); I arrived during the second game of four on my field. (I was assigned to work only games three and four.) There were quite a few children in the stands, and quite a lot of profanity on the field. When I took over for the next game, I warned both coaches in my pre-game that I wouldn't tolerate such language on my watch, and that if it was coming from the bench, the coach would go along with the offender . . . "

Since I work "real" games this philosophy would never make it.

I would be assigned elswhere the next day.

Rcichon
07-20-2005, 02:54 AM
.....Since I work "real" games this philosophy would never make it.

What do you mean 'real games'? What are you saying?

Luke
07-20-2005, 04:16 AM
.....Since I work "real" games this philosophy would never make it.

What do you mean 'real games'? What are you saying?

Ohh no, here we go again. :lol:

bigblueump
07-20-2005, 05:11 PM
OK...

Clarification here too...

As far as "fowl" mouth goes "Duck!" is appreciated, "Turkey" is pushing it but "Chicken" is an automatic!

On the more serious side we don't need to permission to dump, but we've been told to dump if what we hear can't be said on radio or TV (ie: George Carlin) & it's loud enough to be heard in the stands.

Also to, I work NBC 16 & 18 year old and NBC Semi Pro (College age on up).

Thanks!

BBU

willieg66
07-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Never mind Tim C.

I don't post on here often, but I do read alot of the posts and it seems like everytime I read a comment from him it is filled with sarcasm. Maybe he has nothing better to do than try to prove to everyone how "impressive" he is at umpiring. I for one am not impressed!!

Tim_C
07-21-2005, 01:33 AM
"Also to, I work NBC 16 & 18 year old and NBC Semi Pro (College age on up)."

Thank you for identifying the level of ball you work.

This makes my point even more correct.

In my area of the woods we obviously let a lot more go than in yours.

We treat players "of age" as we would professional players.

Language not directed at an umpire has nothing to do with working the game.

Of course this is just my opinion and may be different in your area.

Tee

07-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Bigblueump,

I think you should be telling the coach to keep his team under control, but not ejecting him. Instead if you don't know who should be ejected, choose three or four players at random who you will eject unless the person who swore confesses.

Tim_C
07-21-2005, 02:02 AM
I will post anything I want. I need not your approval or validation.

Go back to your Little League games where you babysit for 6 innings.

willieg66
07-21-2005, 04:29 AM
I haven't worked a Little League game in about fifteen years, right before I left for Wendlestedts and went to Umpire Development which is now called PBUC. I've been around the block once or twice and peons like you that think you know it all make me want to puke!! Oh by the way your moniker by your name should read veteran asshole!

ricka56
07-21-2005, 04:46 AM
Hey Willie...ease up, Brudda. Tee is an umpiring snob, but he's our umpiring snob. You have to filter out the biting sarcasm and take his input for what it's worth.

Trading insults is worth nada (except perhaps entertainment value).

barton
07-21-2005, 04:53 AM
I will post anything I want. I need not your approval or validation.

Go back to your Little League games where you babysit for 6 innings.

Tim,

Nobody has restricted your right to post "anything you want." I'm sure nobody ever will. However, I do see a tide of dismay, that I join, that is discouraged when your superior knowledge and experience is laced with insults and derision. We all applauded the thread you started about changing the direction of this forum to reduce flaming and nasty posts. Yet you seem to have jumped ship on that idea.

I'm sure you will post a reply to me and dismiss my words as crap. But I really think you can elevate the tone and wisdom of your posts if you held off on the retribution. It seems that any poster who disagrees with you is punished for their response. I have a right to my opinion, too.